Easter in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar

Hi all

Not sure if this has been covered before but I wanted to know if spain 'shuts down' for easter. I think I remember reading somewhere that the spanish regard easter as a very important holiday and do literally treat it as such, restuarants, bars, shops etc all close for the entire break. Was looking to go out there over easter but if I cant get a pint or treat the missus to her usual break away from the kitchen may have to reconsider!!!    Can anyone enlighten me please?

cheers hobby

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 3:02 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

hobby, we did a small article on this a while back.  Take a look:

www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/easter-in-spain.aspx

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 3:56 PM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar

Hi Justin

Just seen hubbys' thread and your reply, had a peek but doesnt really say whether anything stays open, although if all the locals attend the parades etc I assume that means they shut up shop, so to speak?

thanks, Jackie

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 4:07 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Did I read somewhere that it will be a national holiday in Spain on 5th and 6th April?  Leading up to easter?

I think it will be fantastic to be there at that time -  Justin, are there lots of processions in Manilva?

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 4:11 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
6th is definitely a National holiday - Good Friday - think the Thursday is generally accepted as a holiday too although not sure if it is an official Spanish holiday - I know, I know how can you have official public holidays and unofficial ones - Easter Monday is NOT a holiday

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 5:42 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Carole in Almoradi tells me that Good Friday - everything closed, Easter Saturday - back to normal (and the market is on as per usual)

Steve.

Steve.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 7:12 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Here's a link to ALL the bank holidays in Spain.

Hope this helps,

http://www.bank-holidays.com/holidays_2007_58.htm

kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 10:57 PM by jillb Star rating in bury st edmunds/Loma.... 52 posts Send private message

jillb´s avatar

Thanks Fibby , printing it  right now! I

jill

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 10:04 AM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar

Thanks Fibby too, very helpful (thanks for your p.m., you're more than welcome, glad you made the right decision).

Jackie x

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 10:09 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Most welcome Jackie,

Thanks & kind regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 11:25 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Problem is it doesnt incorporate the regional and town holidays - you can probably add another 20 or so to the list

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
02 Mar 2007 2:37 PM by hobby Star rating in Hertfordshire/Estepo.... 155 posts Send private message

hobby´s avatar

Hi Smiley

As you're in the same region as us, are there any specific dates over the easter break that we should be aware of?  Thanks very much,

Jackie

Like 0      
02 Mar 2007 5:51 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Maundy Thursday and Good Friday so 5th and 6th April

Like 0      
19 Mar 2007 4:58 PM by crackers Star rating in Devon / Costa del So.... 81 posts Send private message

Hi.  Anyone know what celebrations / processions take place over Easter in the Benalmadena, Arroyo, Mijas area of CDS and when?

Like 0      
19 Mar 2007 6:39 PM by mountie Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

mountie´s avatar

Last year we were in Torre del Marr on Palm Sunday where the locals re-enacted Jesus arriving with the cross.

The week before Easter is known as Semana Santa - Holy Week.  Most towns have parades on Good Friday.  Malaga certainly does - I understand the statue of the Virgin Mary takes up to 200 people to carry it.  Can't help with specific events west of Malaga, our village lies to the east.

Events in our village - Riogordo - start around 11 a.m. when members of the Brotherhoods collect the three statues from the church. Each one is carried by 30 -50 people round the village up to the Parc del la tres cruz at the top of the village.  There they rest for a while before returning the statues to the church.

One thing to mention is that the locals dress up in their Sunday best – like here 40-50 years ago.  The first year I went to watch wearing jeans and felt very out of place

After a short siesta, the villagers - around 400 - of them stage a Passion Play, El Paso, on the village football ground - truly spectacular.  This usually starts at 4 / 4.30 p.m. and goes on until 7 / 7.30 p.m.  Unfortunately I don't speak fluent Spanish but a friend who does says the dialogue is wonderful - all spoken in 'old' Spanish.  Probably nearest example would be our Shakespearian English.  Several coaches bring visitors from far and wide to the village.  The play is repeated on Saturday afternoon (but not the processions). 

I have experienced it when at the start of the play it has been burning hot but when the sun goes down it can turn very, very cold. So prepare for both extremes.

I have been told the statues are taken out again late in the evening when fireworks are let off.  Unfortunately I have not experienced this first hand because the first year there we knew nothing about the evening 'do' and last year it poured with rain in the evening so that part of the proceedings had to be cancelled.

There may be other villages that stage a similar afternoon event but I've not heard of one.

I have many pictures of previous years' events if anyone wants to PM me.  Alternatively there are several websites relating to the village - just put in google search: Semana Santa Riogordo or something along those lines.

Whatever type of Easter experience you select - have a good one!

Mountie

Like 0      
19 Mar 2007 6:57 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Sounds a really wonderful experience. We must try to get out to Spain next easter as we hear so much about the festivities.

Mountie, your dog avatar is GORGEOUS ! Those eyes, don't you just  them ?

Janice 

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 2:38 PM by linnie Star rating in London/Benalmadena P.... 69 posts Send private message

linnie´s avatar

To Crackers,

I lived in Arroyo for 10 years so I saw many Easter celebrations.  It is the most religious week in Spain and is taken very seriously.  It is,as Mountie said ,called Samana Santa and starts on the Sunday before( Palm Sunday) with a procession around the town, village or city - they all have their own version of the events but understandably in Malaga it is the most lavish.  Every day in Holy Week in Malaga there is a procession from one of the brotherhoods called Penas and they are associated with different churchs in the city.   They all have different statues of Christ or the Virgin Mary and parade these through the streets.  They are wonderful,loads of gold,silver and intricate carving on the float which is covered in flowers.  Good Friday is the absolute best - it is very emotional even if you are not Catholic  and it takes hours as they stop every so often as someone sings a plantive song.   These floats are supported by usually about 200 or so local men who carry it around the village supported by the penatants who wear the hoods and robes and are oftern barefoot.  A lot of famous Malaguenos take part, I know Antonio Banderas does as I've seen him.  One of the most famous events is the Passion play in Rio Gordo that Mountie described so well,

As for the Arroyo procession - it normally starts about 9.00 at night from the Church by the railway station and takes hours to go round the village finishing 2 or 3 in the morning, so you should catch it somewhere along the route.  There is also a smaller version of the Passion in Benalmadena Pueblo which I think is on Maunday Thursday but I'm not sure. Hope this helps. Wish I was there at Easter.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 6:09 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
After reading the posts about the Easter celebrations, we are so looking forward to spending Easter in Spain! 

Justin, (or anybody else out there!) would you know what events will be taking place in the Manilva/Duquesa/Sabinillas area?  Would really hate to miss out!

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 6:37 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Linnie,

Just had to say what an excellent post that was from you!

So informative and extremely helpful for anyone interested in the Easter celebrations in Spain.

Wish I was here too, but will be in dreary UK!

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 9:20 PM by linnie Star rating in London/Benalmadena P.... 69 posts Send private message

linnie´s avatar

Thanks Fibby for your kind words.  I'm glad it was interesting and helpful to you - that's what this forum's all about isn't it.   It was a trip down memory lane for me, I'm just sorry I won't be in Spain until June, then it's the local feria and that's another story!!

Thanks for all your information as well, though I don't get to post that much I try to read as much as I can and you and Jeansis are always an inspiration.

take care

regards.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

IVA on a investment property that has been resold - 12 posts
heaters - 1 posts
Residencia - 18 posts
buying as a private person or with "sl" - 5 posts
Life Insurance for Spanish mortgages - 22 posts
Dia de Andalucia - 7 posts
Surviving the Nightmare - Spanish Courts a Law Unto Themselves. - 19 posts
La Alhambra Palace in Granada, Spain - 11 posts
Sierra golf - 0 posts
Villa needed in Quesada - 21 posts
Daya Nueva - 2 posts
Airport parking at Murcia - 2 posts
Whats The Real Rental? - 38 posts
Bank valuations - 29 posts
All things (furniture etc) to do with moving in .. websites - 76 posts
Newbie!! - 12 posts
How does selling off plan work? Advice please! - 14 posts
Buying a resale property - need my hand held!! - 133 posts
Recommended Eateries . - 26 posts
Mercedes Benz C270CDI -K ( Station waggon) - 1 posts
Read online newspapers & magazines here (Costa Blanca, Costa Calida, Costa Del Sol etc) - 2 posts
Self Drive van hire - 3 posts
do we have any rights at all - 16 posts
Are Car rental companies making you break the Law in Spain! - 57 posts
Paying Taxes in Spain (Non Residents) Donations to Emma's fund - 68 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x