do we have any rights at all

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by alinespost Star rating in nreja. 1 posts Send private message

hi all,

just moved into a community very naively, and what a nightmare it has turned out to be... long story, just don't feel as if we have any rights at all in our own home. and if you know that a president is spreading lies about you , and can prove it what can be done

happy living

regards

aline

This message was last edited by alinespost on 2/24/2007.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2007 10:19 PM by joe90 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

hello
don't know what your community related problems are but hope they get sorted out quickly. we had problems with our community which still rumbling on some two years later. it is very hard. we have been bullied by our neighbours and had to resort to lawyer's advice. of course everyone wants to get on with their neighbours but when they start dictating about your property or doing things without your knowledge you cannot but feel threatened and unhappy. what is worse is when these problems aren't caused by Spaniards (neighbours or administrators) but by english who don't understand their responsibilities under Spanish Law.
regards

Like 0      
09 Mar 2007 11:06 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hell Alinespost,

Welcome to EOS, we are a nie bunch here and someone will always help you.

You sound very peeved, and rightly so if you say your Presidente is "spreading lies about you"

Of course, we don't know the full story here, so if you would  tell us more, maybe we could help?

We have people here who are Presidentes of communities and they can guide you in what you should do next if you have a greivance against your community.

Please tell us more and we can try to help.

kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
10 Mar 2007 12:26 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Blimey, two first-timers to EOS, both with problems in their communities. I wonder who Fibby is thinking of as guidance councellor here?! I don't profess to be an expert in this field, just some poor sod who got lumbered with the job, but if you wish to tell us more, we'll (collectively) see if we can offer any advice or suggestions. We ARE a "nice bunch" - try us! If nothing else, it sometimes feels good just to get things off your chest! (See any of my rantings for evidence!)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Mar 2007 8:40 AM by joe90 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hello again.
Thanks for the offer of a listening ear or two. My Community is about 6yrs old. We brought 3yrs ago. I won't bore you with every detail of my interactions with our President, Executive Committee and the Community at large just to say that we disagree about how decisions should be made.
Because only a few Owners live in our Community, we have about half a dozen or so activists helping the President. They are the Executive Committee. This Exec Comm make decisions accordingly to a simple majority and then seek ratification (but not always) from the  wider Community in an Annual General Meeting later.
They have got better at telling the Community more and they would argue that the decisions that they make are necessary and for the wider good of absent Owners.
However they have recently agreed to take on staff for longer periods than previously notified at the AGM and improved the contracts' of existing staff without notifying the GM.
I understand that only the President and Administrator are responsible for day-to-day affairs and their actions are limited to actioning GM Agreements or Emergencies. So work within agreed budgets is fine but anything else must be agreed.
Unfortunately when I try to explain this to either the President, Executive Committee or Community I am subject to personal insults and allegations that intend to "tell on them to the authorities".
Should I just keep quiet and live under a rock? Or should I persist?
Frankly the rock seems a nice place to be.
As I wrote before everyone wants to get along with their neighbours but I don't like being bullied nor do I like the 'great and the good' making decisions in my name without telling me first.
Interested in your opinions........

Like 0      
12 Mar 2007 8:24 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
joe90, it sounds like  you've got a right bunch reponsible for your community.  What is the general feeling towards the president?  Any chance that enough of you will be able to vote someone else in at the next AGM?  sounds like the best option to me.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
12 Mar 2007 9:57 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Joe, I must admit something smells a bit fishy. Who are the contractors who are getting improved conditions? Relatives/friends of the exec. committee no doubt?

First of all, do you know if there was ever a resolution passed giving this exec comm the power to make such decisions without the prior approval of the rest of the community? If there was, you may be p*ssing in the wind, so to speak,  trying to argue.

If not, I don't see how half a dozen members can make these decisions legally, unless of course they represent the majority of those present at meetings. How many owners are in your community? How many are in your camp? You can force the president (in theory at least) to call a meeting if 25% of owners, or owners representing 25% of the total quotas, request it. A simple majority of those present then carry the vote on most issues. There are exceptions, but generally requiring a unanimous vote of the entire community, so either way this mob should not be able to control things this way. If you want to brush up on the Horizontal Law, you can read it in English here:

http://www.castillotraductores.com/docs/horizontal_property_act.rtf 

(Still can't find the link on EOS, Justin, but this way I don't have to e-mail it to people!)

Having said all that, I am guessing that yours is a fairly sizeable community with a well established mafia style administration, and trying to go against the wind, whatever your legal rights, may not necessarily be an attractive proposition? Trying to vote someone else in at the next AGM is an option of course, but do you know anybody who would be willing to take it on? Would YOU do it? Believe me, even in a tiny community it's not much fun (see my articles "A Year InThe Life..."), and you can never please all of the people all of the time.

I'm not trying to suggest that your president and his cronies are squeaky clean - the situation sounds all too familiar and there's almost certainly some dodgy dealings going on. However, you say that  "they would argue that the decisions that they make are necessary and for the wider good of absent Owners." Would you say that the decisions regarding the staff that you mentioned are actually detrimental to the community? How are the finances in general? How is the general condition and maintenance of the community? Is it their running of the community that worries you, or just their arrogant attitudes?

I totally respect your standpoint about not being bullied and allowing others to make decisions without consulting you. I think it's admirable, especially since so many owners are so apathetic. You clearly have a genuine interest in protecting your investment, which is not only commendable, but entirely sensible and logical. I think perhaps you have two options. You could go for gold, canvass your neighbours, stand up and fight, get yourself into the hot seat and start to change things from the inside, show them all how it should be done. Or, and I'm ashamed to admit this would probably be my choice, you could go back to a quiet and comfortable existence under that cosy little rock.

My apologies for rambling on, I thought I was writing another article!

Rob

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Mar 2007 10:35 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Roberto, I'm sure I've given it before, but here is the link to the English copy of the horizontal property laws:

(If you right click the link and select "Save target as" you can save the copy to your PC)

Horizontal property laws in English

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
12 Mar 2007 11:23 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Problem is Justin, unless you put that link in the thread, nobody can find it. Where exactly on the website (except the forum) is it? It's not just me.  I've had literally dozens of PMs asking for it.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Mar 2007 11:20 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Roberto,

I just right clicked on the link Justin gace to show it's "properties" and this is the link, or at least where it is on EOA:

http://www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/horizontal-laws.pdf

So, it's in the Spain magazine, from the main home page.

kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
13 Mar 2007 7:20 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Fibby, have you actually been to the Magazine page? I can find Maria's 4 articles about Horizontal Law - parts 1,3 & 4 are under Your Spanish Home, part 2 is under Real Life Stories, but I'm sure Justin will sort that out soon! As for this PDF file, I still can't see where it is. PLEASE have a look and tell me I'm not losing my mind! I've asked Justin, but he keeps putting the link in the thread like you did. Thing is, if anybody NOT reading this thread wants it, where do they go? Maybe it's just a case of the link missing in the magazine index, Justin?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Mar 2007 10:38 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Roberto, the pdf came as part of an article submitted about communities.  The link is in this page:

www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/president-community.aspx

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 12:33 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Thanks Justin, it's been driving me nuts!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Mar 2007 1:22 PM by carocra Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Thank you Roberto, for taking the trouble to reply, regards Caroline

This message was last edited by carocra on 3/26/2007.

This message was last edited by carocra on 3/26/2007.

Like 0      
23 Mar 2007 9:35 PM by joe90 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hello Everybody,

Many thanks for all your comments. Very interesting reading especially the stuff from Rob (Yes I've read the Life Of A President). I'm afraid that my lack of detail has meant you had to fill in the gaps.

Basically we own a house on a small urbanisation. Our urbanisation is predominantly foreign (ie non-spanish) with secondhomers from the UK in the majority. Is this increasingly typical? To read the UK papers and watch the UK television it seems that there are millions wanting to up sticks or at least get a respite in the sun away from the stress of UK living.

My problem is that the 'activists' (yes I know there are few thanks for being a Community President) who are interested in the running of my community aren't informed of the Spanish Law or prefer to ignore it. In fact I never been so ashamed of my own countrymen talking to Spanish Owners in an AGM when they said that the Spanish law is an ass and that we all break the speeding limits so it was ok to break a law in Spain that they don't (or won't) understand. Is it more acceptable to break a Spanish Law because it's not the custom in the UK?

I have a number of issues with the way my Community has and is run. Unfortunately most people are apathetic and don't realise their responsibilities and rights under the Horizontal Laws.

I think a subtitled showing of 'Aqui Non Hay Aqui Viva' on Canal 5 should be required viewing.

If you want I can elaborate with details and examples BUT the crux is that in Spain an urbanisation  / block of flats operates in a way alien to a English person's understanding.

It is a democracy (that is, I think, until the Owners vote otherwise).

Until then no decision which involves spending more money or taking on different staff can be taken without everyone having the chance to say yea or nay.

Unfortunately our helpful developers gave our Owners a copy of rules which seem to give powers to an Executive Committee of a few. This, from all the advice I've been given, completely contradicts the Horizontal Law.

But it's not so bad being under a rock especially when your English neighbours' language can be so colourful! (I assume I can't be that wrong when my Spanish neighbours don't send me the same silly, abusive and personal emails or make stupid remarks at General Meetings. (If anyone wants to read what they have sent me I'm happy to forward it )).

Anyhow thanks to you and if you want specifics please let me know.
regards
Joe

Like 0      
24 Mar 2007 6:21 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

OMG, Joe, sounds like you've got BIG problems. Maybe you need to be handing out ASBOs rather than copies of the Horizontal Law. I don't think I'm qualified to help on this one. Maybe Maria (who is a lawyer) could input?

Caroline, I think the builder/developer will have as many votes as he has properties (except of course for those he has not paid the comunity fees on) just as if anybody else owned multiple properties. I could be wrong - maybe it depends on whether those properties have actually been registered yet or not. Again, beyond my experience/expertise, sorry. I'm just an average guy who happens to be president. (Did that sound like something G W Bush would say?)

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Mar 2007 6:33 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Are Car rental companies making you break the Law in Spain! - 57 posts
Paying Taxes in Spain (Non Residents) Donations to Emma's fund - 68 posts
Buying bedding - 11 posts
Eye on Spain review - Developers & Agents - 1 posts
General personal Spanish Tax - 6 posts
employment - 0 posts
new properties being built in the alicnte province are getting smaller? - 0 posts
Dream Hills 2 Forum - 1 posts
MAR Y SOL FORMENTERA DEL SEGURA - 10 posts
Cheap airport parking at Alicante - 3 posts
Technical Architect / Building Surveyor - 1 posts
Italy - 2 posts
Communal Areas - 10 posts
Can anyone help - 2 posts
Funny Videos you have to giggle at. - 255 posts
ADVICE NEEDED ON CHOOSING AN AREA TO LIVE - 11 posts
Cheap furniture packages - 34 posts
psi lawyers? - 21 posts
Apartment for rent - 1 posts
Lounge/Patio door curtains, free - Costa Blanca, 10 mins South of Torreveija - 9 posts
Where's Tinasolero ? - 3 posts
Shakira in concert in Torrevieja - 15 posts
Barclays Buying Property Abroad Guide - 1 posts
WHO'S UP FOR A MEET, POST HERE ! - 109 posts
Saladillo golf - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x