Residencia

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by Suzi Star rating in La Cala de Mijas. 23 posts Send private message

Suzi´s avatar

Can anyone tell me the advantages / disadvantages of becoming a resident in Spain? 

Are there implications for health care / taxes / pension / education, etc.?

Is it better to register or not?

Massive question I expect!  But would really appreciate any information because we are moving over to the Costa del Sol permanently this August

Many thanks,

Suzi

Like 0      
27 Feb 2007 10:11 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
There shouldn't be any advantages/disadvantges of residencia because we are all in the EU now.  However, there still are.  You will automatically be put on the health system with residencia, your taxes will be lower as you won't automatically pay the renta tax (not much but still a saving) and I am sure the experts on this site will come up with tons more reasons.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2007 10:27 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"You will automatically be put on the health system with residencia".....

I suggest you trawl through the threads on healthcare in Spain to check on this. If you are pensionable age, this is probably true, but be careful to make SURE you are fully covered. Also, be aware that many of the discussions that have gone on in other threads refer to the situation in other parts of Spain, mostly Costa Blanca, and there can be regional variations.

It's worth registering on the padron (empadronamiento - or electoral role) when you move, as there can be advantages. For example, in Torremolinos you get a reduction on your water and rubbish rates, Benalmadena have just announced substantial discounts on IBI (council tax/rates) if you're signed up, so check your area for incentives.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Feb 2007 11:52 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I would think that the majority of expats that live in Spain probably don't end up actually becoming resident, although I believe you should legally do this if you spend more than 6 months of the year her.  Like bobaol said we are all part of the EU now so even non residents have the same rights as residents.

You should difinitely register on the padron as it means the local town hall gets more money the more people they have registered with them, so it helps the area to grow.

I suppose there are also advantages if you are resident in terms of bank charges, mortgages, etc, but Smiley will probably be able to advise better on those.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 11:01 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

http://www.costaluzlawyers.es/eng/?p=26

Some advantages, but there must be plenty more of them:

a) Selling a property,:residents can compensate capital gains tax towards buying a new property. 

b)  Residents do not pay income tax on the notional value of their dwelling, non-residents pay a flat rate. ( 25%)

c)  Residents selling property in Spain are exempt from the obligation to allow the buyer to retain 3% of the declared value of the property. Non-residents must allow the buyer this additional 3% as a guarantee of the seller's tax payment to Hacienda.

d) Residents are entitled to a 95%-99,99% ( depending on autonomous communities) reduction of the inheritance tax .

e) Residents can vote in local elections. And being elected.

f)  Resident Pensioners have rightsto the all the benefits and reductions available to Spanish nationals.

g)  If stopped for a traffic offence, a non-resident may have their vehicle impounded until fines  are paid.

h) You can get a Spanish driving license.

There is a new European Community Statue regarding residency coming out very soon.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 11:22 AM by Suzi Star rating in La Cala de Mijas. 23 posts Send private message

Suzi´s avatar

Very many thanks for all the replies to my question!

However, we do have a slightly complicated situation because my partner needs to remain a resident of the UK for financial reasons.  I am approaching retirement age (in three years) and we have a 14 year old son.  I guess I need to find out about my pension rights and other legal details, such as, can I become a resident of Spain independently?  And what about our son?  He will be attending an International School to take his IGCSEs and 'A' levels but, if he wants to attend University will he will have to return to the UK?  How might residencia affect his choices?

Can anyone recommend a website or publication where I can get this kind of information?

Suzi

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 12:31 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 2:52 PM by Suzi Star rating in La Cala de Mijas. 23 posts Send private message

Suzi´s avatar

Hi Catwoman!

Thanks for the info, will take a trip to Waterstones and seach for the book.

Lots love back,

Suzi xx

Like 0      
28 Feb 2007 5:49 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
02 Mar 2007 9:45 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
In my last email I forgot to change 25%into the new 18%. My apologies for that.
Best regards,
Maria L. de Castro

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
02 Mar 2007 8:54 PM by Dirty Dick Star rating in Manchester & Benalma.... 6 posts Send private message

ISBN-10: 190113041X

ISBN-13: 978-1901130416

Like 0      
02 Mar 2007 9:18 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

If anyone is wondering, Dirty Dick has posted the ISBN numbers for books on working and living in Spain.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
02 Mar 2007 11:46 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Dirty Dick - obviously a man of few words......bit impersonal if you ask me. Makes me feel like one of those sad lonely people who sit at their computer all night because they've got no friends in the real world.....come on Dick, say a few words, we don't bite!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 May 2007 1:30 PM by raquel Star rating in Valencia. 19 posts Send private message

have asked this in another thread, so will repeat it here, more relevant here...

I have my residencia but have now changed address, how do i go about getting it changed and anything else I need to change at that?

Thanks for any help.

Like 0      
30 May 2007 10:29 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I would suggest you don't bother changing it - too much hassle and not all that important. But do go to your local town hall to register on the Padron (empadronamiento) with your new address.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
31 May 2007 10:22 AM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi  Roberto. we  were reading in the paper about 2 weeks ago that Portugal is bringing out this summer a new ID card biometric type , in the winter also parts of Spain are doing the same so the ID card is not dead but coming back again which makes more sense than scrapping it dont you think ?   so Brussels might think they are no longer req    but some member states think differently   as we know in Germany you can be wisked off to the Police station if you dont have ID on you dont see them giving it up just for Brussels do you.      Regds.  Rosi n

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 1:50 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Rosi, I'd like to know more about that - first I've heard of it. The Spanish still have ID cards - it's just other EU Nationals who cannot be forced to have them (according to Brussels). You still have to carry ID in Spain - it just means we (Brits) will have to carry passports, since we don't have National ID cards (yet!) like Germany. For germans, this new rule is irrelevant, since they have their own cards anyway.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 1:56 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Roberto      It was sometime back in the winter that we were reading about Andulucia are going to issue a new type of ID card it was in one of the local papers they could have got it wrong,  ( not the first time ) is the health card of no use as ID , my husband always used his ID card from work with photo on and never had no problem as proof  they proberly was not sure what they were looking at anyway , ( UK card )  the old Spanish Social  Security  ID card had a Photo on  is that still the same, is the health card different now  or is it the same card for Residents as we see many types of cards flying around these days.?  Does this all make sense to you.     Regds    Rosi n

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 8:00 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
The Andalucian Health Service card has no photo. Drivers licence does, but my partner doesn't have one, so she has no alternative except her passport. .

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

buying as a private person or with "sl" - 5 posts
Life Insurance for Spanish mortgages - 22 posts
Dia de Andalucia - 7 posts
Surviving the Nightmare - Spanish Courts a Law Unto Themselves. - 19 posts
La Alhambra Palace in Granada, Spain - 11 posts
Sierra golf - 0 posts
Villa needed in Quesada - 21 posts
Daya Nueva - 2 posts
Airport parking at Murcia - 2 posts
Whats The Real Rental? - 38 posts
Bank valuations - 29 posts
All things (furniture etc) to do with moving in .. websites - 76 posts
Newbie!! - 12 posts
How does selling off plan work? Advice please! - 14 posts
Buying a resale property - need my hand held!! - 133 posts
Recommended Eateries . - 26 posts
Mercedes Benz C270CDI -K ( Station waggon) - 1 posts
Read online newspapers & magazines here (Costa Blanca, Costa Calida, Costa Del Sol etc) - 2 posts
Self Drive van hire - 3 posts
do we have any rights at all - 16 posts
Are Car rental companies making you break the Law in Spain! - 57 posts
Paying Taxes in Spain (Non Residents) Donations to Emma's fund - 68 posts
Buying bedding - 11 posts
Eye on Spain review - Developers & Agents - 1 posts
General personal Spanish Tax - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x