Are Car rental companies making you break the Law in Spain!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by sping Star rating in Stockport & Playa Go.... 148 posts Send private message

sping´s avatar

According to your comments on this forum, when driving in Spain you require, by law, several things. Photo ID, Driving Licence and / or a passport. Two sets of glasses if your vision requires them. A florescent jacket. A spare set of bulbs. Two reflective warning triangles.

When you hire a car at the airport, are the basics, like the triangles, bulbs and florescent jacket provided?

On our last trip to Spain we discovered that they were not provided as standard and they were not offered to you. So when you drive off you are driving illegally!

I asked the hire company if these items should have been provided with the car, the girl behind the desk said “ we don’t put them in the cars because they tend to be stolen”, but told me that if I wanted the three items I would have to leave a 30€ deposit.

So, when you rent a car in Spain remember to ask for the jacket and triangles, because if the police stop you it is your responsibility to have them in the car and you will be fined, as the hire companies will take no responsibility at all.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2007 11:16 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

You need a jacket for each occupant and I think strictly two triangles.

Mike

Like 0      
13 Mar 2007 10:56 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 9:47 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Good informative posts

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 10:27 AM by sping Star rating in Stockport & Playa Go.... 148 posts Send private message

sping´s avatar

Hi Jeans Sis,

We also hired with Gold car, when I asked the girl at the counter about the legal requirements, she said that they did not provide the items and never offered them as an extra. Only after some discussion did they offer the two triangles and one reflective jacket for a 30 € deposit, no bulbs etc. They said that they would not pay for any fines resulting from not having these items in the car.

I would personally like to see an improvement in service from the rental companies; I don’t mind paying a deposit or even a small charge to the hire of all the required items. They should offer, as standard, all the items necessary in the same way they do with car upgrades.

Better this than trying to explain to a Spanish police man why you do not have the items.

Sping..

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 10:46 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Hmm,   Would you have to commit an RT offence to be stopped in Spain.? ( I can guess the answer to that!)  We often see police stopping people near roundabouts.

We were stopped in Portugal(Algarve) several years ago  for no reason that we knew of .  They pulled over loads of cars, mostly hire cars.The police said the  car licence was out of date.  We gave them all the documentation they wanted to see. They eventually let us go on our way, and said that they would deal with the hire car company!

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 1:36 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
They are frequently on the roundabouts for random checks - breathalyser, documents etc - nothing to stop them and quite within the law to random stop. In Spain it is the driver of the vehicle who is responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is legal and all necessary things such as spare specs, TWO triangles and vests are in the vehicle - funnily enough it is exactly the same in the UK - it is both the owner of the vehicle and the driver of the vehicle that are responsible there and both will be charged if an offence comitted (at least it used to be that way as I know from painful experience - drove a mates car home for him as he was over the limit without insurance or MOT despite him telling me he was any driver and the car MOT'd). So in fact it is not too different here in Spain! 

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 3:22 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

So, under Spanish law the hire car companies should provide everything if they are the car owners and it is registered in their name, triangles, spare bulbs, jackets etc....except the glasses!!  With the restrictions on baggage allowances/bags it is unreasonable to expect the hirer to bring these out with them. Besides, you never know what car you are going to get!

This message was last edited by Tish on 3/14/2007.

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 3:43 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 9:04 PM by sping Star rating in Stockport & Playa Go.... 148 posts Send private message

sping´s avatar

Hi Jeans Sis,

We have discussed this before and I think we will again, until people complain to the hire companies and the agents.

Did you look inside the red pouch that Gold car provided?

Next time you are over and hire your car take a look in the red pouch, it contains two triangles, only one vest and no bulbs. So unless your middle name is Halfords, how are we supposed to comply with the law?

Sping,  from Playa Golf III

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 9:15 PM by jerezgirl Star rating in Jerez de la Frontera. 43 posts Send private message

jerezgirl´s avatar
I always use Crown Car Hire.  There has always been hi vis jacket and triangles in the car for me.  I never ask for them, and no deposit required - it´s always just there!

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 9:29 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 9:55 PM by jerezgirl Star rating in Jerez de la Frontera. 43 posts Send private message

jerezgirl´s avatar

Hi Janice

Auriga is the same company as Crown Car Hire.  New name is Auriga Crown or something like that.  So yes, they do automatically put the triangles, jackets, etc in the cars without having to be asked first!

I can´t believe that there are companies that actually DONT do that.  If the excuse is "they are always getting nicked" then why don´t they just make a charge to the client who was using the car with the triangle/jacket/bulbs were nicked in the same way that they would if you had damaged the car.  Afterall, they have your credit card details on file.

I don´t understand what you mean by a full/full arrangment.  I guess you mean that the tank is full when they give you the car, and you have to return the tank full.  If so, that is the case for Auriga Crown. 

Like 0      
15 Mar 2007 9:47 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Hi Janice, I used Auriga at Murcia for the first time last month.  Snow here cut short the weekend planned - so it was a quick 24 hour Sun - Mon to get to the solicitor mon am.  Paid for full tank, returned car after using for the day, fuel gauge still registering full and had 50 euros credited back to my card.  Just had statement and it is there.  Also surprisingly, the boot contained all the required safety stuff - no problems at all.

It's just a shame that the mini-bus system seems a bit erratic.  Ok on arrival, but when leaving had to wait 20 mins as arrival customers dealt with.  That leave me a little nervous as I'm not in control of getting to the airport in good time - but that's personal preference I guess.  I would recommend them for all of the good things above, but don't think I'll use them again.  Any one selling a cheap car!!

Jane

Jane

Like 0      
15 Mar 2007 10:25 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

hI jEREZ GIRL GOTTA TELL YOU THAT ON THE COAST CROWN USED TO OPERATE THE SAME PHILOSOPHY ABOUT THE ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS BEING NICKED SO DIDNT PUT THEM IN THE CAR - PERSONALLY I CANNOT SEE THE BIG DEAL AS THEY HAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS AND YOU SIGN THE AGREEMENT STATING THAT THE CAR WILL BE RETURNED IN THE SAME STATE - THEY SEEM HAPPY TO PUT MATS IN THE FOOTWELL TO PRESERVE CARPETS AND IF ONE WAS STUPID ENOUGH TO STUFF THEM IN ONES CASE NO DOUBT THEY WOULD BILL THE CARD.

FULL/FULL MEANS PICK THE CAR UP WITH A FULL TANK AND RETURN WITH A FULL TANK SO THAT YOU DONT GET CANED ON FUEL COST - CROWN HAVE ALWAYS OFFERED THAT FACILITY SO IF THEY NOW OWN AURIGA I AM NOT SURPRISED - CROWN ALSO PUT THEIR CARS OUT THROUGH BROKERS AND IT IS USUALLY CHEAPER TO HIRE THEM THROUGH A BROKER RATHER THAN DIRECT -

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
15 Mar 2007 10:27 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

This message was last edited by san miguel on 3/19/2007.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
15 Mar 2007 10:30 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      
15 Mar 2007 10:43 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

If you don't mind using an agent, try AMS_travel , used them often over the last 5 years.  Their service is personal and excellent.  Mostly have very competitive deals with europa gold car or solmar, better than booking direct.  

Jane

Like 0      
16 Mar 2007 11:34 AM by sping Star rating in Stockport & Playa Go.... 148 posts Send private message

sping´s avatar

Hi All, Just going back to the question of hire firms supplying triangles etc.

I have had a response from my usual agent regarding these issues.

Q. Hi, we have hire cars through you on several occasions now and have
 been very satisfied with your service, so thank you.
 I do however have an issue that I would like to raise with you
 regarding the hire companies that you deal with.

Every time we have hired a car from Alicante airport, we have assumed that the car was hired to us fully legal under Spanish law.
In fact this is not the case; most of the cars that are hired to your
customers are not complying with Spanish law. They do not have the
 required two triangles, the spare set of bulbs or the Florissant
 jackets. If you pester the staff at the airport, then they will
 provide these, subject to a 30€ deposit, (two triangles and one vest).

All it would take is for an addition to your booking form and provide the required extras as standard, with a refundable deposit, as you have all the credit card details already in your system. 

A. Thank you for your feedback, however, the Spanish law states that it is the driver's responsibility to provide these items and not the car rental agents. Due to popular demand of these items, our suppliers will provide them for a refundable deposit of 30€ the items must be requested at the time of signing the rental agreement. 

Q. Just a quick question please. If I request a Fiesta, and so take over spare bulbs, and then receive a Picanto, how do I overcome that, or do the Police not bother with the bulbs part?

A. As you are aware we are unable to guarantee the exact make and model of vehicle that will be supplied.  The suppliers will include spare bulbs
in their own packs or alternatively these can be purchased locally in
most garages.

What hope have we got!

Sping.  

Like 0      
16 Mar 2007 2:07 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Paying Taxes in Spain (Non Residents) Donations to Emma's fund - 68 posts
Buying bedding - 11 posts
Eye on Spain review - Developers & Agents - 1 posts
General personal Spanish Tax - 6 posts
employment - 0 posts
new properties being built in the alicnte province are getting smaller? - 0 posts
Dream Hills 2 Forum - 1 posts
MAR Y SOL FORMENTERA DEL SEGURA - 10 posts
Cheap airport parking at Alicante - 3 posts
Technical Architect / Building Surveyor - 1 posts
Italy - 2 posts
Communal Areas - 10 posts
Can anyone help - 2 posts
Funny Videos you have to giggle at. - 255 posts
ADVICE NEEDED ON CHOOSING AN AREA TO LIVE - 11 posts
Cheap furniture packages - 34 posts
psi lawyers? - 21 posts
Apartment for rent - 1 posts
Lounge/Patio door curtains, free - Costa Blanca, 10 mins South of Torreveija - 9 posts
Where's Tinasolero ? - 3 posts
Shakira in concert in Torrevieja - 15 posts
Barclays Buying Property Abroad Guide - 1 posts
WHO'S UP FOR A MEET, POST HERE ! - 109 posts
Saladillo golf - 1 posts
The Best Place To Hide Money: Conversation With A Burglar - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 58

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x