First Meeting.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by solostar Star rating in North Wales / Almora.... 101 posts Send private message

I have just heard tonight that our first meeting takes place on the 23rd of Feb. Some residents have received letters , I haven,t. Is it necessary for me to go to it, obviously I want to be involved but it is such short notice.  Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Like 0      
20 Feb 2007 9:45 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hello Solstar,

This has not given you any notice at all, that is most unfair!

It is at this first meeting that your Presidente will be elected. this is a very important step, because if you or other owners give your proxy vote to someone else, they can vote for you, voting for what THEY want, not what you would want.

If you get the wrong Presidente (like we did), then it is difficult to get enough members together, to call an extraordinary meeting to elect a new Presidente.

Also at this meeting, the Administrators will be elected in, once again, it is important to get the right Administrators elected that do not overcharge and have a good reputation.

I don't know how you go about getting this date changed, maybe our resident Lawyer Maria De Castro could help on this matter.

You have not got much time left!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
20 Feb 2007 10:05 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

In the early days meetings are ALWAYS called at short notice, many administrators just can't get their act together.  I suppose it would need to the consent of the majority of the owners or the president (the developer is president up till a new one is appointed) if you wanted to change the date but I'd be surprised if you could do this.

Choosing a president in the first meeting is actually quite tough as nobody really knows anybody else.  How can you vote for someone you don't know?  In certain communities where the majority of owners are foreigners then it tends to be a bit easier as many will have already got to know eachother through forums such as this one.

In our first meeting there were more Spanish present than English so  it was probably always going to start with a Spanish president, although she wasn't actually very good as she didn't want to do any work...not that I'm much better

We need Roberto here....he's the expert on all these matters.  "Roberto, we need you"

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
20 Feb 2007 9:25 PM by solostar Star rating in North Wales / Almora.... 101 posts Send private message

Thankyou Justin & Fibby for your replies. I am not the only one that can,t make the meeting so will just have to wait and see what happens, will let you know how it turns out .

Like 0      
21 Feb 2007 12:16 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Good on you Solostar for wanting to get involved - maybe you'd like to be president?!

You don't say why you didn't receive notification. Have you completed on your property yet? If not, you are not eligible to attend. Could your invite be lost in the post? Not that it will make much difference at this stage, but the law states that:

The annual general meeting shall be called with at least six days’ notice and extraordinary meetings shall be called with sufficient time to inform all parties concerned. (to be found in the Horizontal Law - PDF file in English available if you pm me your e-mail address, because nobody can find where Justin has hidden it on the website!)

Nothing that takes place in this meeting will be cast in stone, because if at least 25% of owners want to, they can force a new meeting to be held at any time. In the meantime, however, Justin & Fibby make good points about the president and administrator. It is not in the best interest of any community to have the developer as president (only possible if he still actually owns any units)  or an administrator appointed by the developer, so if you are in contact with fellow purchasers as you seem to be, make sure there is plenty of discussion about this and try to ensure that you don't get bullied by the developer into doing everything his way.

If you cannot attend the meeting, make sure that you receive the minutes afterwards, and also request a copy of the statutes (estatutos) so that you will be fully informed of what's going on, and good luck!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
21 Feb 2007 8:09 AM by solostar Star rating in North Wales / Almora.... 101 posts Send private message

Thanks Roberto for your reply ,very helpful. I have no intention of being a president, have read your articles and it sounds  much too stressful, but I don,t want to bury my head in the sand either! I expect my letter is in the post will probably turn up next week. We completed on our property last May and the meeting has been planned and postponed loads of times, so it was impossible to plan a visit. I think that there are plenty of like-minded people there to make sure everything is done correctly but meanwhile I would like a copy of the pdf file you mentioned ,I have  pm,d my e-mail address to you.

Thanks again.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2007 1:27 PM by gouldingay Star rating in birmingham/almoradi. 37 posts Send private message

hi all

i havnt had a letter about the meeting should it come to my home address in uk or spain how can we find out what happened at the meeting

best wishes chris

Like 0      
25 Feb 2007 9:02 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Chris, what address does the developer have for correspondence? If you gave your UK address, you should receive notification of the meeting there.  If you are unable to attend, you should still receive the minutes of the meeting afterwards. If you don't receive anything, you need to contact the administrator. If you don't know who the administrator is, ask the developer.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Feb 2007 11:00 PM by gouldingay Star rating in birmingham/almoradi. 37 posts Send private message

hi roberto

they have my home address in the uk but i havnt had a letter at all i only new about the meeting cause i seen it on this forum

best wishes

chris

Like 0      
25 Feb 2007 11:31 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Seems this is happening to several members. Not good news. I suggest you contact either the developer or the agent, or better still the administrator of the community if you know who it is yet, and find out what the problem is. You have a legal right to be kept informed. (Assuming, of course, that you have completed on your property?)

This message was last edited by Roberto on 2/25/2007.

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

I need new fingers! - 0 posts
Old cat to Spain ? - 4 posts
Free guides .. downloads - 2 posts
Members.. see SPI postings re Fibby (& JeansSis) here. - 5 posts
Mobile Phones - 67 posts
PICTURES - 30 posts
'Pay as you go' road tax. (Proposed car tax scheme in UK) - 10 posts
Any Ex Military Here - 4 posts
Shipping personal goods to Spain - 2 posts
need to sell - 6 posts
Update - 416 posts
problems getting in to see a show apartment - 17 posts
The Market - Bottomed Or still more to come??? - 151 posts
UK qualified teachers in Spain - 6 posts
compensation re builders late completion - 40 posts
Estate Agent Shoots Himself!! - 10 posts
Jay White - 3 posts
Invitation to attend meeting of administrators - 8 posts
contract overdue - 2 posts
Licenses - 8 posts
bank guarantees - 14 posts
Qualifications for Spanish Property Lawyers..interesting find !!!!!!! - 8 posts
Are you receiving the newsletter? - 13 posts
Why does eveyone want to sue me? - 19 posts
Spanish builders. - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x