problems getting in to see a show apartment

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

We are purchasing an apartment on the Costa Blanca with a very reputable Spanish company.We are due to complete in June.Since late last year they have opened a show apartment and after initially being told we could visit we then had problems gaining access.An appointment was made with our agent but we were then told that new EU restrictions meant we couldnt see the show flat.After my husband somewhat lost his temper we were allowed in for a whistle stop tour ,not allowing any time to really look or to measure up.Since then we attemted to make a further appointment but have now been told this isnt possible and we will have access at the time of completion.Another purchaser with the same company ,in the same apartments has been told they can see the show apartment if they make an appointment even although there are new EU regulations. I can understand that they dont want people walking all over the building site but the show place is on the edge of the block and didnt entail any ladders etc.Has anyone else had a similar experience ? I cant understand why they have gone to the bother of a show apartment if no one can see it.Is it a different law for those possibly purchasing than for those who have already purchased ?Any ideas as to how we can get a look in at our next visit in March ? 

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
17 Feb 2007 7:39 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

Hi Gillian,

How strange !

The showhome (a 3 bed detached house) for our builder is open for anyone, not just those turning up with the likes of Atlas, Parador, Iberian, Masa etc,  to view during the opening hours. People often wander down our road in order to look at the 2 bed ones (which we bought) & I've often asked them in momentarily (seeing as we, ourselves, relied on people just like us to  invite us in, as, contrary to what the agent told us, each of the rooms in the 2 bed houses aren't quite as large as those in the 3 beds, overall.) If you just turned up, privately, how would they know if you have bought or are you saying the showflat is closed except IF you pre-arrange a visit ?

I'd be very careful anyway if you rely on the measurements being the same as we found many differences.

Where is it you're buying, Gillian ? Please put it on your profile as it makes it SO much easier for members to help you. We are all over the Costas. My husband & I are non residents outside Guardamar on the Costa Blanca.

Janice

Like 0      
17 Feb 2007 7:55 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hello Gillian,

This is a very odd situation!

I don't know about the new EU regulations, but maybe this has a big part of the restricted access??

As far as I am aware, you can visit the Piloto (show house), when it is staffed and as oten as you wish.

Being the suspicious person that I am, are they trying to hide something!

Why only let you look in "depth" once you have completed?

Surely they can't hope to sell their product if they won't allow you to inspect the "sample" product in depth!

Hopefully, some of our other members of Eye on Spain may have better answers than I can give you at this moment.

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
17 Feb 2007 8:54 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Thank you for your replies.I thought it might be helpful to say the apartment is in Altea Hills and the show apartment isnt manned.Difficult to sneak a look with someone else if our agent is around as she knows us.When we did  get our lightening tour we had to wear special jackets and hats because it is still a building site and they have only finshed the one apartment.I must say we did feel a bit suspicious about room sizes because we wondered if it was the mention of wanting to measure up that elicited such a strong response !!

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
17 Feb 2007 10:02 PM by gericom99 Star rating in Offaly, Ireland / Ca.... 270 posts Send private message

gericom99´s avatar
Hi there,

We recently visited the show flat in our development (Costa del Sol) for the second time by arrangement with the developer's representative and while we had no problems viewing the apartment we were not allowed to take measurements under any circumstances.  I think developers are afraid that they will be held responsible if the bought apartment does not turn out to match the measurements of the show apartment though as far as I can make out differences in individual room measurements are quite normal in these situations however the overall area including that occupied by the walls should in fact always match up!  As far as EU regulations are concerned I suspect this is more to do with the dangers for the public visiting an operational building site than visiting a supervised show apartment.  When they say you cannot view until completion, I expect they are referring to the actual  apartment you have purchased as opposed to the show apartment.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2007 10:10 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

When we bought our apartment, we visited the piloto.

These pilotos are "thrown" together, to give the buyer an idea of what the finshed apartment/villa is like.

I do not think they are" like for like", just an idication. Maybe that is why they will not allow you to measure up.

However, when we got our keys and in subsequent months spoke to other new owners, we were all shocked to find that our measurements inside our apartments vareid, as did the kitchen units!

Some of the apartments has smaller hallways than others, sometimes by 8- 10 inches!

And most all of the apartments had differnet kitchen cupboard size that seemd to have been tailor made to fit the size of the kitchen once finished!

So, my advice is never to measure a piloto, it won't reflect the real size of your purchase. When the building work is in progress, I am sure that a few inches out on a wall etc., is not critical to the builders.

They just carry on building, fit the bits in after to suit each unit, and as long as they don't exceed the building overall size, they feel happy! 

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
17 Feb 2007 10:14 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Crikey brother just what I wanted to hear !! At least your reply has made us laugh - or was it cry !!

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
17 Feb 2007 10:21 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Soreeeeeeee, but it is true!

Don't despair, you will get used to all this Spanish stuff, they have their own way of doing things, like, 2morrow???

But I still love our holiday home in Playa Flamenca, Costa Blanca!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
17 Feb 2007 10:28 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Thank you. I will try not to get too up tight about it and cant wait to see it finished. 

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
17 Feb 2007 10:35 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Well done........see.........you are getting into Spanish mode already!

Manyana................

Kind regards,

This message was last edited by FibbyUK on 2/17/2007.

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
17 Feb 2007 10:37 PM by jillb Star rating in bury st edmunds/Loma.... 52 posts Send private message

jillb´s avatar

We must have been lucky! we measured before all the finishing touches, ie kitchen fitted, wardrobes in bedrooms etc, and all was to builders spec,  Think I would be inclined to check all  with your lawyer,

Is there any body else you know buying on your development having the same problem ?

Regards

Jill

Like 0      
17 Feb 2007 11:08 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

God Jill, YOU had a KITCHEN fitted ??? (Just joking but you DO hear the oddest stories, certainly in some Almoradi apartments about the builder NOT putting a kitchen in. )

Gillian, all will be fine. If that's all you have concerns about consider yourself lucky. You said your apartment is in "Altea Hills" . Is that the name of the development or is it ACTUALLY in the Altea hills. So many developments in so many areas.

Janice

Like 0      
18 Feb 2007 8:33 AM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Our apartment  is actually in Altea Hills and the developer is well known in the area - beginning with the letter 'B'. We thought they were very reputable which was why we were so surprised at all the hoo ha . I am in touch with 2 other people through EonS (as yet no other subscibers from our particular apartments)As far as I am aware one couple did not gain entrance to the show apartment but seem fairly laid back about it and the other did.I think it has helped that they have bought through an agency whereas we bought direct from the builders. 

Gericom99 's experience seems similar to ours and maybe the answer is to ask to revisit without mentioning the dreaded  ' MEASURING TAPE ' !! 

I suddenly realised last night that I have detailed scale plans of the apartment that were sent to us when we requested extra electrical sockets.It does measure the same as we are expecting and does show all the kitchen units - so here's hoping !

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
18 Feb 2007 10:04 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Good morning Gillian!

Just a thought, have you been on the Development forum here on EOS?

You may be able to talk to lots more people from your development on there and see if others have the same problems accessing the piloto.

Rgds,

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
18 Feb 2007 10:17 AM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Thank you for that.I have been on to it but only 3 of us in contact.Cant quite understand where all the other purchasers have got to !

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
18 Feb 2007 5:28 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Oh well, it was worth a try Gillian.

Keep popping back to the development forum, you will find people who have problems tend to look for and join, so you may get lucky!

FibbyUK

Check out my website:

Like 0      
21 Feb 2007 9:14 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Believe it or not all suddenly fine to view show apartment (did say this time to just look without measuring up so maybe that clinched it)Pleased to be able to see it but also makes things easier with our rep.who has on the whole been very pleasant and helpful

Thanks for all your suggestions they were really helpful.

Here's to EYE on SPAIN !!

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
21 Feb 2007 9:50 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

So glad you feel a certain relief now, Gillian.

Janice

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

The Market - Bottomed Or still more to come??? - 151 posts
UK qualified teachers in Spain - 6 posts
compensation re builders late completion - 40 posts
Estate Agent Shoots Himself!! - 10 posts
Jay White - 3 posts
Invitation to attend meeting of administrators - 8 posts
contract overdue - 2 posts
Licenses - 8 posts
bank guarantees - 14 posts
Qualifications for Spanish Property Lawyers..interesting find !!!!!!! - 8 posts
Are you receiving the newsletter? - 13 posts
Why does eveyone want to sue me? - 19 posts
Spanish builders. - 2 posts
Balsicas and Sucina - 1 posts
Focus,ITV1,February 13th - 7 posts
Grille & door alarms could be a great deterrant. - 36 posts
For TechnoApe - 0 posts
Furnishing in Duquesa, Manilva - 40 posts
almerimar - 1 posts
Getting British Channels on Spanish TV - 8 posts
Happy Valentine's Day - 23 posts
Punta Marina - 5 posts
SPIRIT OF MOJACAR - 0 posts
HELP - ANY ONE WANT TO OR KNOW ANYONE WHO WOULD RENT OUT A 2 BED APARTMENT FOR OF 4-8 MARCH - MOJACAR/VERA - 3 posts
Brown's Restaurant Duquessa - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x