compensation re builders late completion

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Mar 2007 12:26 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Best of luck with your cases guys and do please keep us updated with how it goes.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 8:51 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Hi Sharlu,

I've sent you a personal message explaining the background to my own claim.

Mike T

Mike T

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 9:02 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

EOS Team

yes we will let you know, just to add insult to injury, after nearly 4  years of waiting, our appartment in our contract was suddenly ' not available anymore ' and we were offered one in a different position less than two thirds the size, with no discount!. Good eh!

miket

i would also be interested in your case if that's o.k.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 9:08 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

just to add insult to injury, after nearly 4  years of waiting, our appartment in our contract was suddenly ' not available anymore ' and we were offered one in a different position less than two thirds the size, with no discount!.

Hi Goodstitch, When did this happen?!!

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 3:32 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Tish

we only found out about about this through our 'new' lawyer last oct/nov. We put our original deposit down in  june 2002. After about two years, our agents finally admitted that the site we thought was half built, had in fact never been started and didn't even have a license!  The agents then transfered us to another site by the same developer with an appartment the same size, that was at least half built and we were promised it would be finished shortly. We had to pay approx £4000 more for that pleasure. So that's where we are now. Nearly 5 years on and we were told last oct/nov our appartment was not now available, but we could have one not much more than half the size, but with no discount, no LFO, or even a bank guarantee. So we are suing for breach of contract on several issues. A nightmare or what!

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 5:29 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Hi Goodstitch,

I didn't realize the extent of your problem! What a nightmare!. I'm sure your new lawyer will come good for you in the end but it's such a slow process.  The wheels of the Spanish judicial system barely move!  Good Luck.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 8:16 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Tish

thanks for your positive words, it's always good to know people are behind you. It has been one hell of a worry for my wife and i, (and still is) as it was pretty much our life savings went in to this. If it wasn't for the two main sites (eos and spi) and the good people that run them and post on them, things could well be worse. The gut feeling i had that we were not being given good advice or even told the truth by people we thought we could trust was confirmed after i started poking around in the forums. We are starting to feel positive now, but the whole thing has left me feeling bitter about the whole Spanish legal sytstem.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2007 10:36 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Sounds like an Aifos style trick - happened to a mate of mine too -

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
02 Mar 2007 4:37 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Smiley

i'm sure you are right,  it's the amount of people that fall for it that's really sad. They complete, thinking they can put it right afterwards and it's to late!. Once you complete in Spain, the law is very unlikely i think , to help you put things right, even when the developers are obviously very much in the wrong! Bad advice from some agents and lawyers can and does make matters worse.

Like 0      
02 Mar 2007 8:08 PM by MagsB Star rating in Scotland and La Mari.... 26 posts Send private message

MagsB´s avatar
Have been checking out all replies and we are now convinced that we are definately going to have to bale out if we are ever going to have a retirement home?? Time is running out now, but the ball is starting to roll!! I realise I dont contribute anything, but then I don't know anything that would be of help, but watch this space when I get there he!he! Thanks a million for the support and help on this forum x

Like 0      
02 Mar 2007 10:58 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Helo MagsB,

Don't give up hope yet,

If you post your situation, there may be others more "in the know" than I am, who may be able to help you.

Tell us all about your situation and then see if anyone has some advice for you.

Not ALL situations are the same, so don't judge by what others have been given advice on here, each case is unique.

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
03 Mar 2007 12:46 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

MagsB

have looked at your original post/situation, i'm no expert, and i'm sure Maria can point you in the right direction, but i would have thought that  a good lawyer should fight for a return of deposit. We hung on for ages, with our agents saying it will be allright in the end, and our agent recomended lawyer backing them up. We also had fellow buyers telling us to just wait, then complete as we would never get our deposit back, that always felt wrong to me.  Why the hell should we put up with being treated this badly? You have to remember that at least one party will gain from you completing, even though it might not be in your interest to do so. Good luck!

Like 0      
03 Mar 2007 9:04 AM by Alexander Star rating in northwich cheshire. 6 posts Send private message

Hi All, Good luck  to everyone who  are  fighting for compensation  and a return of deposits. Can  anyone  tell me if you do win your case, will the builders have to pay your expenses and legal fees? I am in an almost identical situation as Goodstich, although I haven,t decided to try for the return of my deposits yet, as the Hopeadreamo seems to be almost built. Regards Alex.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2007 9:16 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Alex

as far as i am aware they do, along with interest, about 4% i think. I am told that more cases are now being settled out of court, as once a developer has lost a similar case in court, they dont want to risk it again. But they will sometimes take it to the final hour before admitting defeat. Good luck!

Like 0      
03 Mar 2007 12:49 PM by sharlu Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thank you Goodstitch and Miket for your advice. It's good to know there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2007 9:30 PM by jason2007 Star rating in Kent, plus 1/2 built.... 33 posts Send private message

hi
it seems as though we are in the same situation. we bought off plan october '05 and once we had paid the stage payment our 'solicitor' confirmed that the bank guarantee was 'in order'. we never recieved it despite many phone calls and emails. the building licence was withdrawn mid 2006, and no one knows if they will be granted a new licence. when we asked our 'solicitor' for the bg, she told us it had never been issued. we contacted our agent hoping they would be able to give us some more information. all they told us was that they have every confidence in the builder and that the developer is a reputable company. they've now stopped answering my emails and the person dealing with the site is never in the office. the 'solicitor' (yes, we used the one recommended by the agent - doh!) said it was not her fault the bg was not issued, as far as she was concerned our contract was the guarantee! she advises us against suing the builder for failing to issue the bg. looks like i'll have to contact maria to see if we can get our money back.
good luck to everyone in a similar situation!!

Like 0      
06 Mar 2007 9:43 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2007 11:03 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

jason2007

good luck to you to, lots of us fall for that trick, we assumed that because we were prepared to pay someone, (lawyer/agent etc) to work in our interest, that they would do so, and not betray our trust!... Big mistake i realise now. I think as long as you move fast and use someone like Maria that you can trust, you are at least giving yourself the best chance of justice. You know you are in the right.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2007 6:33 PM by jason2007 Star rating in Kent, plus 1/2 built.... 33 posts Send private message

goodstich44 and jeansis

thanks guys, looks like i got more than i bargained for when i handed my money over.

jason

Like 0      
28 Apr 2007 5:35 PM by Stephen2006 Star rating in Glasgow/ Torre Guil . 78 posts Send private message

Stephen2006´s avatar

Can anyone give some advice.

Have received a letter today to advise that the development will be 1 year late and an offer of compensation for this delay. The compensation is in the form of a package such as free house insurance for 1 year, free connection to electricity and water and gas, free electrical light fittings, alarm pre-installation, white goods and air-con pre installation.

What do you think of this offer.

Has anyone been offered similar before?

Many thanks for any advice

Stephen

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Estate Agent Shoots Himself!! - 10 posts
Jay White - 3 posts
Invitation to attend meeting of administrators - 8 posts
contract overdue - 2 posts
Licenses - 8 posts
bank guarantees - 14 posts
Qualifications for Spanish Property Lawyers..interesting find !!!!!!! - 8 posts
Are you receiving the newsletter? - 13 posts
Why does eveyone want to sue me? - 19 posts
Spanish builders. - 2 posts
Balsicas and Sucina - 1 posts
Focus,ITV1,February 13th - 7 posts
Grille & door alarms could be a great deterrant. - 36 posts
For TechnoApe - 0 posts
Furnishing in Duquesa, Manilva - 40 posts
almerimar - 1 posts
Getting British Channels on Spanish TV - 8 posts
Happy Valentine's Day - 23 posts
Punta Marina - 5 posts
SPIRIT OF MOJACAR - 0 posts
HELP - ANY ONE WANT TO OR KNOW ANYONE WHO WOULD RENT OUT A 2 BED APARTMENT FOR OF 4-8 MARCH - MOJACAR/VERA - 3 posts
Brown's Restaurant Duquessa - 2 posts
sales jobs wanted - 1 posts
Agents And Property Valuations Done Properly - 17 posts
A smiley for Smiley - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 41

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x