Good Manana

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by Jet48 Star rating in Estepona / Great Yar.... 106 posts Send private message

Jet48´s avatar

Loads of people laugh at the manana  culture in Spain, I recently had a good manana experience  and thought is this manana thing all it it is made up to be. We needed some new blinds the company came round measured up and said they would be back the next  day. I asked if they wanted a deposit they said no, I also said as I was getting the money from England  it would be a day or two before I could pay them they said no problem.Well we laughed to ourselves and thought no chance them turning up the next day manana spirit must prevail. We were astonished when they did turn up next day and fit the blinds. We offered them monies on account but they refused saying no problem, pay when we had the full amount. A week later we went and paid and they welcomed us and said no problem for the delay. So I wondered how many other people have good manana expriences that are never reported.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2008 9:26 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

I've got two manana stories.

Wanted air con and so went into a shop in Quesada.  We had someone out the same day to survey and give written estimate.  They promised the work would be done three days later, but then contacted us to ask if it would be OK to do the work the following day!!

At the end of one stay the gas boiler packed up, and I couldn't face going back there again without hot water!  E-mailed a company for quote.  They visited property and I got quote back same day.  I accepted the quote for a new boiler, and to bring the gas connections up to legal requirements.  Transferred the cost of the boiler only to their account (this accounted for a third of the bill);  they did the work, and a few days after the start of my holiday they called at the house (I didn't have a car so couldn't get to their office easily) to collect the money. 

Funny, I have never had the same type of experiences in England!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
17 Sep 2008 10:42 PM by Karen4 Star rating in Arboleas. 6 posts Send private message

I ordered a phone line and connectioon from Telefonica  for our new beauty salon, on the Wednesday afternoon. The line was in and the phone working less than 24 hours later! Not even BT could beat that one! 

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 12:04 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Tip for 2morrow: if you hold down the ALT key and type 0241 on your number pad, you'll get a nice little surprise that will make all your mañanas brighter!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 10:10 AM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

Hey Roberto - that is so cool! Thanx

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 10:21 AM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
Didn't work for me Roberto.........no good Manana for me today.
What's supposed to happen?????
Intrigued of the UK..............

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 10:23 AM by jj1111 Star rating in Casares del Sol. 21 posts Send private message

jj1111´s avatar
Didn't work for me either Roberto.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 10:28 AM by jj1111 Star rating in Casares del Sol. 21 posts Send private message

jj1111´s avatar
I posted this on another thread but it relates to this one as well if you don't mind me posting it.

In preparation for my coming to Spain in August, I came over for four days to Antequera in April. In that time I was able to apply for and receive my N.I.E. overnight, applied for and received my social security number immediately and opened a bank account just using my hotel as the address. I have been able to change the hotel address now to my new residence. This was done at the National Police in Estepona and received my residency in five hours. My experience is if you're willing to wait in a queue it's not a problem.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 11:39 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Or me Roberto !

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 11:46 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

No tell us the secret Roberto?

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 11:55 AM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

The day my OH came out of hospital we went to chemist to get the drugs he needed. As we could not get to doctor until following day they told us to pay and they would do a refund when we had the prescriptions. As the chemist rang the drugs up on the till it was approaching 100 euro and there were more to be added. When I explained I would need to go to the bank as I did not have enough cash on me she repied do not worry about it. She then cancelled the sale and made a list of everything we needed and told us they would sort it out when we had the prescriptions. 
Can you imagine that in england?
Jean

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 12:38 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
OK, for all those of you having an OK manana, rather than a great mañana, make sure your number pad is locked (num lock), then try ALT and 164 together.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 12:39 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
As far as I am aware this will not work if you use the number keys across the top of the keyboard, you need to use a number pad normally at the right hand side of the keyboard and ensure number lock is on. 

There are also cominations for ¿, á and é etc, if you don't have a spanish keyboard and want to type correctly.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 12:50 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
I did specify to use the number pad, but admittedly did not describe where to find it on your keyboard! I also omitted in my first post to mention that you need the number lock on - mine always is, because the other functions of those keys are not particularly useful anyway. My mistake, though.
To add accents over vowels, á é í ó ú, the easiest way is to hold down the ALT GR key while typing those letters. Now you just have to learn which Spanish words use them, and where they go!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 5:45 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar
I gotta laptop Roberto, it don't work!!
The number thing I mean.......the laptop is fine!!!
No number pad see, just a top row of numbers, bin trying all day, fingers worn out now!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 6:23 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

I gave up trying Fibby! I used the number pad originally and the num lock was on...nothing happened.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 6:23 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I see I've opened a can of worms here!
If you don't have a num lock key, it may be labelled FN instead.
And depending on your laptop, you may find that you have a number pad hidden within the keyboard. Have a look at JKL, UIO, 789.
So I think if you can lock the number pad first with num lock or FN, then hold down ALT and type JOU, you should get ñ.
On the other hand, you might prefer to continue typing manana. We know what you mean!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 6:44 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Tish - nothing happened? Did you not even get 164? Are you holding down ALT (left side of keyboard)? Are you using Windows?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 6:45 PM by jj1111 Star rating in Casares del Sol. 21 posts Send private message

jj1111´s avatar
ññññ  Yeh!!!! It works. Thanks Roberto.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2008 6:46 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

No. No. Yes. Yes!! What should happen?  Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease tell us!

This message was last edited by Tish on 9/18/2008.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

From bad to worse, whats going on? wheres my money gone? - 54 posts
NossieHi - 2 posts
Small claims Procedure (SCP) in Spain. " Monitorios" - 7 posts
4 new dining chairs for sale - 0 posts
Property management company in Rojales area - 3 posts
Alicante airport - getting petrol - 20 posts
looking for an old friend - 0 posts
Long Term Rental Wanted - 5 posts
Property wealth tax and unleased urban property tax for non fiscal residents - 4 posts
How to close our SxlBank account? - 1 posts
Wish me luck! - 5 posts
EASYJET HAVE ADDED EXTRA ITEMS TO COMPLETE FOR API - 4 posts
Registering UK Vehicle in Spain - 6 posts
Ready Made Curtains & Bed covers - 7 posts
When you've done the work and they just won't pay!! - 5 posts
Web Cam - 0 posts
Why are banks not paying out ? - 7 posts
Calpe apartments - 0 posts
wanted URGENT! Man with big van for local removal, torrevieja area - 0 posts
Hotels in Denia? - 0 posts
Spanish Alphabet? - 2 posts
Great Way to Learn Spanish-FREE! - 6 posts
ANYTHING U MISS FROM UK? - 97 posts
WHERE U FROM & HOW LONG U BEEN IN SPAIN? - 8 posts
COMPUTER ENGINEER WANTING TO MOVE TO SPAIN - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x