Small claims Procedure (SCP) in Spain. " Monitorios"

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Small claims procedure (SCP) in Spain. "Monitorios"

SCP ( Small Claim Procedure) is a special judicial procedure for claims adding up to 30.050,61 €.  The debt needs to be documented. 

The document: can be of any sort, form or physical support . It needs to be signed by the debtor, stamped by him, or just marked by any physical or electronic signal.

Bills, invoices, reception statements, certificates... are also allowed. They just need to prove a
commercial relationship between debtor and creditor. 

A lawyer and a Procurator of Tribunals are just needed if the debtor opposes the payment of the debt and/or the claimed amount adds more than 901,52 €.

How is the procedure? 

1.- Initial petition  to the First Instance Judge. Lawyer and Procurator of Tribunals are not required here ( but advisable). The petition needs to contain indications of debtor´s personal data and address, origin and amount of the debt and document which proves the claim.

2.- Courts notify the claim to debtor for a voluntary payment within 20 days. The debtor can also oposse the debt within those 20 days, giving enough legal reasons for the opossition to the payment.

3.- The debtor can choose between:

a) Doing nothing. Not pay nor oppose the debt. The Judge will order execution of the debt against debtor´s assets.

b)  Pay the debt

c) Oppose the debt, with the intervention of a lawyer and a Procurator of Tribunals.

The judge will convoke the parties for a Court Hearing.

Hope this helps!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
15 Sep 2008 5:10 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Thanks Maria, very helpful. Where would you go to begin proceedings please?

Mark

Like 0      
16 Sep 2008 7:35 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
First Instance Court of the place where the deffendant have his/her address.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
14 Oct 2008 1:17 PM by bevski Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Approximately how much should the procedure cost (against a claim of say 6500 euros and how long would an action take to reach a conclusion ?

Like 0      
14 Oct 2008 5:58 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I cannot give to you fixed prices or timescales as we have freedom of feeing ( The Bar Association stablishes minimums that lawyer can raise) and it is always risky to give timeframes when a Court is involved. I am very sorry about that,

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
14 Dec 2008 4:16 PM by Jewel Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Is there a time limit on this afternon payment of fees due?  Is proof of prior payment from one business to another sufficient?  Is an e-mail or more than one e-mail sufficient evidence? 

What happens if the debtor decides to take the case all the way to the Court?  What are the likely fees in Small claims process?  Is there a maximum?

Like 0      
15 Dec 2008 6:56 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Jewel:

Please find answers below in bold green:

Is there a time limit on this afternon payment of fees due?  15 years. Is proof of prior payment from one business to another sufficient? Do not understand the question . Could you retry?  Is an e-mail or more than one e-mail sufficient evidence?  To prove you have paid? 

What happens if the debtor decides to take the case all the way to the Court?  What are the likely fees in Small claims process?  Generally of 10% of amount claimed, roughly.  Is there a maximum? Maximum of fees in Courts?

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
15 Dec 2008 8:35 AM by Jewel Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

THank you for responding. Sorry if I wasn´t clear.

I have not been pàid a significant amount of money.  THe person who owes it to me says as there was no written contract I cannot take action against him.  He closed the SL and opened another one, but then did the same with the new SL and has now re-opened the old SL, the one that owes me money (its over 30000 euros but I would settle for anything!).  Certainly I can prove 30000 euros due to me as it is written on paper, via e-mail and a monies due sheet he sent.  There is lots of evidence on e-mail referring to amount he will pay etc but no contract (only because this individual would not sign one and unforutnately it was after I started working with him).  I was never a contracted employee.

Some money was paid over to me by bank transfer so does that prove an existing commerncial connection/relationship? I also have e-mails where he says he cannot pay any more as the SL has insufficient funds, but then he started trading with it again a few months later.  This man has no ethics at all so I don´t know if it is worth pursuing him?.

Is 10% the maximum possible Court/legal fees?

If he wrote the correspondence personally can I take action against him personally (I know he still has two houses and owns some land but don´t know if they are all in his name, I suspect not as he has done the dirty on a lot of people). 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

4 new dining chairs for sale - 0 posts
Property management company in Rojales area - 3 posts
Alicante airport - getting petrol - 20 posts
looking for an old friend - 0 posts
Long Term Rental Wanted - 5 posts
Property wealth tax and unleased urban property tax for non fiscal residents - 4 posts
How to close our SxlBank account? - 1 posts
Wish me luck! - 5 posts
EASYJET HAVE ADDED EXTRA ITEMS TO COMPLETE FOR API - 4 posts
Registering UK Vehicle in Spain - 6 posts
Ready Made Curtains & Bed covers - 7 posts
When you've done the work and they just won't pay!! - 5 posts
Web Cam - 0 posts
Why are banks not paying out ? - 7 posts
Calpe apartments - 0 posts
wanted URGENT! Man with big van for local removal, torrevieja area - 0 posts
Hotels in Denia? - 0 posts
Spanish Alphabet? - 2 posts
Great Way to Learn Spanish-FREE! - 6 posts
ANYTHING U MISS FROM UK? - 97 posts
WHERE U FROM & HOW LONG U BEEN IN SPAIN? - 8 posts
COMPUTER ENGINEER WANTING TO MOVE TO SPAIN - 12 posts
ANY REGRETS?? - 6 posts
Off to Duquesa tonight! - 1 posts
advise needed satalite tv system - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x