Alicante airport - getting petrol

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by rodger Star rating in Lulworth, Dorset.. 59 posts Send private message

I have hired a car from RECORD and will pick it up on arrival. Last time the tank was empty. Does anyone know the nearest petrol station on the N332 going towards Torrevieja?

Like 0      
15 Sep 2008 9:34 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
Hi Rodger - I always go motorway - AP7 - and there is a petrol station very soon after you join it from the airport.  I would imagine you would have no problem on the 332 either although it may depend on the time of arrival.

I rented through Record in Palma a few weeks ago and got a half tank so you may be lucky!

Like 0      
15 Sep 2008 10:15 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Nearest petrol station on 332 is the one at Gran Alacant.  Haven't used it myself going towards Torrevieja so don't know if you can fill up and then go back out again to go over bridge to get back onto 332.

I had a similar situation with Record and I didn't fill up at Gran Alacant but went on to the one just past turn off for Rojales.  Bit nerve racking but we made it, the fuel guage was just on the red and that's how I took it back!

Like 0      
16 Sep 2008 8:25 AM by rodger Star rating in Lulworth, Dorset.. 59 posts Send private message

Thanks for your input. Is the one at Gran Alicant near the N332 turn off i.e. viewable from the road (I can see on Google satellite what appears to be a supermarket car park but no petrol area)? I see from the Google map that it is a both way junction. You took a real risk going nearly all the way to Rojales!

Like 0      
16 Sep 2008 9:23 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

As you aproach Gran Alicante you will see petrol station on left and just beyond that a Mercadonna sign (the supermarket listed on google)

You have to take the slip road on right to take you over the bridge then go down to roundabout to come back to the petrol station.  I think you have to follow the signs to 332/alicante to get into petrol station.  Best check as you go past it on your way down to roundabout, where the entrance is.

I've never used it to fill up with petrol, I've only turned around here to go back to airport as the car I picked should have had a full tank and didn't.

It is rare for Record to give you a car with so little fuel, mine was because it was brand new,  It was a Fiesta with about 5 kms on the clock, told my husband to fill it up as it was a small car and paid 50e (at the time diesel was 97c a litre)  Very economical car drove it to Valencia and back, two return trips to airport as husband was only out for weekends and still didn't have to fill it up again.

Is this your time for hiring a car from Alicante?

Do you want me to provide you with directions for getting out of Airport car park as a lot of people get lost and land up on the motorway instead of the 322.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2008 12:55 PM by rodger Star rating in Lulworth, Dorset.. 59 posts Send private message

semijubilada, thanks, yes I do not want to take the motorway route to Torrevieja. As I understand it from Googling the airport plane as one drives out of the carpark barriers (I assume they give you a token for the exit barriers), it is important to take the immediate right exit which takes one to the N332. Is that right?

Thanks for the Gran Alacant instructions, I think I see on the google satellite one must leave the N332 as you say and go down to the next roundabout to cut back to the station. I think the station is right next to the motorway and I think there is a slipway back onto the N332.

My car contract booked through Bath Travel is for Full tank out empty tank back (i.e. free tank of petrol) as the hire is over 6 days. Last time I did this they said it was full but it was empty. I should have kept the receipt and I will this time and to save hassle I shall go into Bath Travel and tell them to get my money back. One point, isn't the car hire booth within the arrivals section which one cannot return to once exited? So how would one go back to sort it out (and what would they do)? We are arriving later in the evening.

Thanks for your time.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2008 2:02 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Hi Rodger
Record are pretty good they always leave you enough for the petrol station, when they give you you documents its in a folder, on the back  is a map showing you the way out, it also gives you the nearest petrol station.
We always go on the N332 and have not had a problem.
Have a good trip.
ms51

Like 0      
16 Sep 2008 3:50 PM by rodger Star rating in Lulworth, Dorset.. 59 posts Send private message

So it would appear that with this company they do not supply full tanks! I will be interested to see if they are aware of the booking agreement I have. Thanks ms51.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2008 4:06 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Hi Rodger
Well yes they do give you a full tank if you have booked it for longer than a few days, when we have gone for more than 4 days we have booked full/full, which means you bring it back with a full tank, to be honest we like doing that, other wise you feel you have to keep driving to use up the fuel.lol
Am back myself in 10 days time, but sadly only for a long weekend, using my free flights with Flybe.So if you see some one who has run out of fuel, do stop it might be me.lol

Like 0      
16 Sep 2008 8:02 PM by rodger Star rating in Lulworth, Dorset.. 59 posts Send private message

ms51 I'm encouraged! I HATE airports and Car Hire - the greates form of stress for me. Hope you're trip goes well. We are going out in a few days. Be interested to know what the costs are going to be like. I'm not too fussed about the petrol being left at the end of the stay.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2008 8:40 PM by Salters Star rating in Lancashire, UK. 5 posts Send private message

Salters´s avatar
There is a garage at the Alicante airport junction just outside the airport, I know it can be accessed from coming into the airport not sure if you can though from the airport (roadworks around the building of the new terminal). The Gran Alicant one is next then its at Santa Pola under the flyover so you have to take the exit sliproad signposted Elche/Santa Pola to access it.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2008 11:27 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

As I understand it from Googling the airport plane as one drives out of the carpark barriers (I assume they give you a token for the exit barriers), it is important to take the immediate right exit which takes one to the N332. Is that right?  Hire cars are situated at the rear of the car park, you have to walk through the public car parking area to get to where your car will be parked.  You will be given a map to show you where your car is parked and there are clear signs to follow to show you where each car hire supplier has their parking area.   
Follow the arrows and signs for exit, you do not have to pay to exit.  
You will see a sign at exit telling you to turn right, once out of the car park keep right and at stop sign you want to go straight ahead.  (the instructions you have been given above refers to the public car parking area.  Please be careful here as a lot of cars will be coming round from the right from the public car parking.  
In front of you will be a building site and that's what you want to head towards.  There should be a number of cars going this way. 
If you turn left at the stop sign you could find yourself heading towards the motorway.  
Follow road to end and join the main road, again be careful here as you do not have right of way and must give way to the left.  
Further down look for the exit (slip road) signposted Cartegana/Santa Pola. 
At the end of the slip road you do not have to join the road to the left and can remain in the same lane.  
You are now on the N332 and you will go through a tunnel.  By law in Spain you must put your lights on when entering any tunnel and will be fined if you don't

Thanks for the Gran Alacant instructions, I think I see on the google satellite one must leave the N332 as you say and go down to the next roundabout to cut back to the station. I think the station is right next to the motorway and I think there is a slipway back onto the N332.  Yes there is but if you go down there you will be going back to the airport.  You need to go back to the road you have just come off and go back across the bridge to take you back onto the 322 towards Cartegana/Torrevieja.

My car contract booked through Bath Travel is for Full tank out empty tank back (i.e. free tank of petrol) as the hire is over 6 days. Last time I did this they said it was full but it was empty. I should have kept the receipt and I will this time and to save hassle I shall go into Bath Travel and tell them to get my money back. One point, isn't the car hire booth within the arrivals section which one cannot return to once exited? So how would one go back to sort it out (and what would they do)? We are arriving later in the evening.  I've never heard of Record giving you a free tank of petrol but if your contract states that you have pre-paid for fuel then if you find it's not full you can go back into the airport and ask for another car.  There is someone normally at a kiosk near to where the cars are parked but they may not be able to help you and they will probably send you back inside.  
When standing  at check-in desk you will see another desk the back of the office, to access this area you have to head towards the cafe when coming into arrivals and then bear left and you will be at the back of the car rental desks.

Record always used to be the only car hire company who allowed you to bring the car back with the same amount of fuel as when you collected it.  They tell you how much fuel is in the tank and you should always check to make sure you agree, if not get the rep in Kiosk to mark car hire document.

Recently they have been asking hirers to pay for a full tank and bring car back empty, when I refused as I'm never sure how much fuel I'll use and my hire agreement stated I had full/full therefore just pay for the fuel I used, I was told I could pay for 1/2 or 1/4 tank.  

If you are travelling in the evening then I'd insist that they stick to the contract you have, if it says that you have pre-paid for a full tank then that's what you should receive.
If you have to return the car full, half or 1/4 full then there is a garage just before you go back into airport as Salters said.

Hope this helps

Like 0      
17 Sep 2008 7:52 AM by rodger Star rating in Lulworth, Dorset.. 59 posts Send private message

Thanks for that, I see that the hire car exit is not the same as public. The exit seems to be at the back of the car park where a slip road is crossed and then turn right go along there and the slip road to the N338 thence to the N332.

I will have to see what happens with the petrol situation but I willprobably not argue, just put 1/2 tank in and claim it back later. They broke the agreement not me. ms51 seemed to have been OK. I wonder if they know of the car hire before one arrives.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2008 9:56 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Yes the exit is at the back.  Haven't been out to Spain since June but I noticed then that the road markings on the slip road are really faint.  It used to have a forward arrow in right lane and left turn arrow in left lane.

I always go out on first flight of the day so am driving out of Airport around 10.30 am.  Because of the building work going on there's normally a man with a stop go board directing traffic but as you are arriving in the evening he may not be there.

It is difficult to see the road direction sign from where you will be crossing, it is just in front of a tree on the grass verge and says Cartegana/Alicante from memory.  Looks more like a street sign!

I think you'll be ok with the fuel, I used to use Record regularly and I always had at least 1/2 tank of fuel.  The fiesta incident was a one off.  They seem more intent now on getting you to pay for fuel up front as all the other hirers do.

On your return journey it's straight run on 332 until you get to the tunnel then you need to follow the yellow airplane signs.  Watch out for traffic on the right hand lane after you go through tunnel as you need to change into this lane and they normally want to come into yours.  Can be tricky.

When approaching on airport road you will see the lanes divide for services (right - you can fill up here if necessary) and left straight on.  Further down on your left you will see cars coming out over a bridge, these are coming out of the airport so will be trying to get into your lane and you will be trying to get into there's.  (These cars have turned left when coming out of the slip road from hire care exit - so if you make a mistake on arrival just stay in lane and return back to airport and try again)

You go over the bridge and will see a large green sign for CAR HIRE RETURN listing all the makes or hirers.  Turn left here and you are back into the slip road.  Over each entrance is a sign telling you which hirers are nearest to this entrance.  Think RECORD are the first one.

Who are you flying with?

Like 0      
17 Sep 2008 10:15 AM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Hi Rodger

If your at the front desk with a big queue, have a look to see if is empty round the back, I did it last time, got the car much quickier (naughty I know),but wanted to get out of the airport,you just go out the door and round the back. Hope you have a great time- and dont worry it will all be fine. I have gone with Record for years would recommend them to anyone.
Enjoy you holiday.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2008 10:27 AM by rodger Star rating in Lulworth, Dorset.. 59 posts Send private message

That's very clear now. I see the refuel on return journey you mention, it's a small station just before the right fork in the N338 to go into the airport. I am flying Ryanair from Bournemouth and arrive 19:20 and arranged pick-up at 19:30. I do not want any hassle as I want to get to Torrevieja before dark.

I now surmise that the Holiday Autos FULL/Empty policy is that they should give you a full tank but it's NOT included (I am checking this as I think the Travel Agent is wrong in saying it is included) according to HA. As I will not be using a full tank I am just wondering what are the options on getting the unused cost back. I shall try to ask to pay for 1/2 a tank unless anyone knows of a better method. Refund on return would rely on their Agent looking at the fuel guage to verify what I've used so getting a refund then may be more problematic.

You've all been of great assistance, thanks.

I have thought about buying one of those pocket SAT-NAVs which also have a walking option but don't know if they are any good for Spain. Do the hire cars have a cig-lighter to power these devices?

Like 0      
17 Sep 2008 2:53 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

If it says full/empty then you have to pay for fuel on collection.  You will not get a refund if you bring it back with fuel.  Annoying for most of us renters so we all look for companies who will do full/full.  Only know of one but you have to book them up as soon as you book your flight as they are very popular.

Sorry useless with road numbers but I think we are talking about the same garage.

I wondered if you were flying with Easyjet, if so I was going to suggest something which would help you to check in but it wouldn't assist you with Ryanair as the queues at check-in only open up 2 hours before flight.

Most cars I've hired have cig lighters as I use them to charge up my mobile.

Haven't used our Tom Tom out in Spain so can't help.

Have a safe journey

Like 0      
17 Sep 2008 4:41 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Don't know if its is still true, but I read somewhere that Tom Toms are not legal in Spain,but yes the cars do have cig lighter, so if you are going to put one in the car,don't put it on view.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2008 4:43 PM by rodger Star rating in Lulworth, Dorset.. 59 posts Send private message

Just had a thought about car hire. Isn't it a requirement to carry flourescent jackets? How do I get these?

Like 0      
17 Sep 2008 5:01 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Yes you should carry one for each person in car.  I've never been given any from Record, I carry my own over with me each trip.

If you have a Poundland nearby to where you live they sell them there, or you could take a chance and buy them in Spain.   Some people say that Traffico wanted to see a jacket for every seat in the car even if only 2 people were in car at the time.

In Torrevieja Ramon Galud there's a 60c todo shop on the same side of the road to the Telefonica shop.  There are two beside each other, the one with suitcases in the entrances sells them for 3 or 4 euros.

By law you also need to carry 2 emergency triangles.  I got mine from Carrefour and keep them at the house to transfer to the boot of car each trip.

The required list also states spare headlight bulbs but as you never know what car you are going to be given each hire period that would be hard to do.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

looking for an old friend - 0 posts
Long Term Rental Wanted - 5 posts
Property wealth tax and unleased urban property tax for non fiscal residents - 4 posts
How to close our SxlBank account? - 1 posts
Wish me luck! - 5 posts
EASYJET HAVE ADDED EXTRA ITEMS TO COMPLETE FOR API - 4 posts
Registering UK Vehicle in Spain - 6 posts
Ready Made Curtains & Bed covers - 7 posts
When you've done the work and they just won't pay!! - 5 posts
Web Cam - 0 posts
Why are banks not paying out ? - 7 posts
Calpe apartments - 0 posts
wanted URGENT! Man with big van for local removal, torrevieja area - 0 posts
Hotels in Denia? - 0 posts
Spanish Alphabet? - 2 posts
Great Way to Learn Spanish-FREE! - 6 posts
ANYTHING U MISS FROM UK? - 97 posts
WHERE U FROM & HOW LONG U BEEN IN SPAIN? - 8 posts
COMPUTER ENGINEER WANTING TO MOVE TO SPAIN - 12 posts
ANY REGRETS?? - 6 posts
Off to Duquesa tonight! - 1 posts
advise needed satalite tv system - 4 posts
Messy Separation laws - 1 posts
URGENTLY I NEED PROPERTIES IN eSTEPONA MARBELLA SAN PEDRO TO LET - 0 posts
Swapping Sand or Sangria - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x