How long is an Account Number ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Feb 2007 12:00 AM by Ambre Solaire Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

I am making a cash transfer to a Spanish Bank Account, can anyone advise how many digits should there be in the account number. The numbers I have been given are :- 4 numbers - 4 numbers - 10 numbers making 18 in total. There is also a separate 5 digit number which I presume is the sort code.

Like 0      
12 Feb 2007 11:56 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/4/2007.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2007 12:18 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

The account number is 20 digits long.  The ES one than Janice is referring to is the IBAN number.  If you have this number then your account number is the last 20 digits of the IBAN number.

Hope that makes sense.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
13 Feb 2007 12:25 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi

If you have trouble with transferring like we did from Halifax euro account just remember that the numbers have to have spaces between them. This is after the four numbers or whatever they ask you to do. We kept doing the numbers in continuous row and it kept rejecting. Felt a bit of a fool after I'd rung Spain. hope this makes sense.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2007 12:52 AM by Ambre Solaire Star rating. 36 posts Send private message

Hi

Thanks for the help, how can I obtain the IBAN number for the Bank ?

Thanks

Ambre

Like 0      
13 Feb 2007 1:11 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Ambre,

I'll check it out in the morning and let you know tomorrow. need to look at my transfers.

Gina

Like 0      
13 Feb 2007 11:24 AM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Ambre,

Checked out my transfers. This one had me confused first off. When we paid for furniture via internet banking they just asked for it to be put into their account. That is just the account number (don't forget to space) The Iban number is the account number with an extra four in front of it like ES** whatever is in front of it. Never had to deal with swift. Hope this was the answer you needed all numbers are confusing at first.

Gina

Like 0      
02 Jan 2008 5:52 PM by Lucy_GM Star rating in Spain. 20 posts Send private message

Ambre:

Your bank should inform you about what your IBAN number is at your request.

Also, if you operate with the bank via Internet, you can check your IBAN number in the bank´s website.

It is generally: ES (2 more numbers)+ Your regular account number  (20 numbers)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Like 0      
20 Jan 2008 1:12 PM by rapp Star rating. 22 posts Send private message

Sorry Pat, New computer has a mind of its own.

Regards,
Ray

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 9:39 PM by mondeoman Star rating in Wilmslow, Cheshire. 2 posts Send private message

For anyone still reading this post and who needs to know, this Barclays advice is useful:

http://www.business.barclays.co.uk/BRC1/jsp/brccontrol?site=bbb&task=articlegroup&value=6537&target=_self

IBAN - International Bank Account Number

International Bank Account Numbers (IBANs) were introduced in 2001 to provide a standard format for account numbers across Europe, to improve the quality of information exchanged between parties involved in European cross-border payments to help minimise errors and delays.

To ensure all parties involved in European cross-border payments gain the benefits available from the use of IBANs, European directives have been passed to enforce their use.

With effect from 01/01/2006, you must provide the beneficiary's IBAN and receiving bank SWIFTBIC (Bank Identifier Code) for all International Payments in Euros to EU Member States (25 countries), Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland in accordance with the European Directives.

You and your European trading partners may also benefit from reduced charges for payments in Euros between EU Member States if a valid IBAN is quoted in your payment instruction in conjunction with the beneficiary bank's SWIFTBIC.

When you are the beneficiary of a cross border payment from Europe, as well as providing the payer with your IBAN you must also tell them Barclays' SWIFTBIC (Bank Identifier Code) which is BARCGB22. This essential code tells the overseas Bank that this is the UK Barclays address to receive your funds.

You will find your IBAN for your Barclays account on your bank statements. You can also use this site to generate an IBAN* for your Barclays UK accounts.

We will not charge you for processing payments received from EU Member States in Euros for €50,000 or less (effective from 01/01/2006) if they contain your IBAN and SWIFTBIC details.

There is currently no requirement to use IBANs for Domestic Payments (i.e. payments within a particular country).

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Building and Contents Insurance - 3 posts
Club Security Vacancy Wanted - 3 posts
Electricity Voltage - 7 posts
Could you support the "Red Arrows"? - 44 posts
VPO Can anyone Advise - 19 posts
Driving routes through France and Spain - 36 posts
We want your happy stories ONLY - 359 posts
Benahavis - 3rd attempt - 3 posts
wasting time - 1 posts
message boards - 11 posts
iznalloz - 16 posts
Deeds who do we put on them? - 14 posts
What's REALLY happening with the Spanish property market? - 4 posts
Is it just me ! - 8 posts
WINTER SNOWSPORTS IN ALMERIA - 2 posts
problems with neighbours - 6 posts
Withdrawal Symptoms - Calling all sufferers - 25 posts
New golf course - 0 posts
Off Plan??? - 29 posts
Intro - 9 posts
las vistas santa maria - 27 posts
Thank u Smiley - 2 posts
COTO REAL DUQUESA - 4 posts
Help - 9 posts
fitness trainer and beauty therapist - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x