TV shows about the Costas

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Jun 2007 10:56 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

What a superb rant Roberto.  

I agree with every word and I am sick of people seeing these programmes and then warning us of the danger of what we have done. We protected ourselves as well as we could when we bought and  will ignore the doom mongers.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 1:33 PM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi Roberto     You said it just right,      the buyers that  go in blind looking for fast money in the wrong place are the  big loosers , there are some good property buys around for the long term,  research is the secret just like the stock market it goes up but needs a little adjustment sometimes as nothing can go up for ever.       Regds Rosi n 

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 5:11 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Well done Roberto, I will join the others to say that was really great.  I agree one hundred per cent.   But I'm afraid the media always has to have someone to knock.   It will be England now saying about the house prices falling.  But are we bothered only these people that have overstretched themselves will be.    But you said it all.    Regards Pat 

This message was last edited by Pat and Roy on 6/2/2007.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 5:14 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I didn't get to watch it myself, we went out for a nice Italian meal in Duquesa instead...much better really.

Although, my mum called me and told me I was in it.  I was the one with the yellow shirt bidding for everything!

The producers of the show originally contacted me and I told them where to go as I knew it would be the usual doom and gloom stuff they would be concentrating on.  They never got back to me surprise surprise.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 5:42 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
Thought Rixxy would have given her observations by now on what was left in and out of the programme or if it was a fair reflection on what she said or not. Better to hear from the horses mouth.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 6:02 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
I would think Rixxy has much better things to do on her weekend, especially as I hear there is a big 7s Rugby Festival happening around now and I'm sure her son might be interested in that!!

She has obviously given quite a bit of her time already and, from what I've read in this thread from people who did watch the programme and are much more knowledgeable than myself, the programme doesn't appear to have been a true reflection of what was said!

I didn't see the programme (as I mentioned in a previous post, we don't get much like that here - maybe there are benefits of living in Dubai!!), but as one who has invested long term in Spain to enjoy, I can appreciate what others are saying here, in that I'm fed up hearing all this doom and gloom!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 6/2/2007.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 6:58 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Hi guys 'n gals,

I've just had a great idea - and I've only had one beer - thus far

Why don't we record our OWN TV programme and interview the same people, however this time include Justin, Smiley and everyone else who wants to get in on the act!

I've got the recording equipment (digital cameras, mic's, etc) and know a local company here in Devon who would professionaly edit the production for us. I used to work with him and he would get such a kick out of doing this (plus the publicity of his company - ahem!) I'm sure he'd do it during his spare time for a few beers.

I've also got the ability to reproduce the finished DVD with glossy DVD artwork, in a DVD case with glossy insert - a whole lot of dulux going on here!?! 

Then, and get this, we could send it to the new Spanish TV Channel, whom I'm sure would get a great kick out of airing it for us.

Now is that a plan or is that a plan

PS. Am in Duquesa from 17th June

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 7:02 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Will they let a randy croc in though, TechNoApe as I wouldn't want Smiley to get a hold on me.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 7:13 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
I don't know, TechNoApe, but what about getting the new "Living in Spain" channel to dip into its coffers and do the lot??  How about putting that to them, Justin?  Getting them to finance the whole deal and get good positive feedback from those who are happy with their investments, living in their properties, love the lifestyle, invested for holiday home, looking forward to living the lifestyle, etc., etc., etc.!!  How about putting the other side of the coin facing up?!  You have over 16,000 members on this site who, I am sure, would be happy to contribute their positive views - as well as their negative views!  But I'm sure the positive would dominate!  You could poll those who would be willing to participate, maybe?

Great idea, TechNoApe!!

PS  But also would go along with TechNoApe's plan to have him and his mate do the whole biz!!  And give them a bit of business too!! 

This message was last edited by Pitby on 6/2/2007.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2007 11:18 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Thanks for the messages everyone. I actually expected a bit more critisism from people who have found themselves in dire straits (through no fault of their own, of course!) but I guess the response here just goes to prove that these programs and articles really are very lop-sided. I like your ideas, Techno & Pitby, but wouldn't it be nice if we could somehow persuade ITV to come back and do it properly? Poor Rixxy must be quite upset about it, she was so excited about the show before hand judging by her cryptic posts, and probably feels a bit betrayed. May be why she's not posted here yet?

Going back to the show itself (yes, it's still bugging me and I have more to get out of my system!) there was a piece shot in a bar, where we were led to believe the only topic of discussion was the disastrous situation all the ex-pats have found themselves in over their property. One bloke (I think he was the barman) observed that it was easy to buy property, but not so easy to sell it. With such pearls of wisdom, he'll no doubt have his own TV show soon.

I don't profess to be any kind of expert in this field, but I have always figured that if you are buying property (or anything for that matter) with a view to re-selling it, the most important factor to consider is who will want to buy this? How easy will it be to sell? Is there a strong demand for this product? This takes me back to my point about people who have been (mis)led into buying a property that has nothing special to set it apart from the rest. If you neglect to think about your potential sales market when buying, you'll run in to trouble later. It's not rocket science. I know absolutely nothing about Bulgaria, for example, but if I felt inclined to buy a property there, I would be more likely to buy a cheap studio in the centre of Sofia than a flashy luxury villa in the hills overlooking Fun-in-the-sun Beach Resort or whatever. Maybe I'm missing part of the picture, but I think there are more Bulgarians in Bulgaria than Brits or Germans etc., and somehow I think they are more likely to be in the market for the former rather than the latter? You get my drift?

I think a lot of people who have got into difficulty may have been too much led by glossy brochures and smooth sales talk, rather than by getting out here and doing some of what I call "research", a novel little idea that I'm thinking of patenting! Of course it's easy to buy - there's always plenty of property available, which is why I don't accept this "it's a buyers market" thingy. It's always a buyers market inasmuch as there's always something to buy if you're determined enough, but good properties in good locations aren't exactly being given away. It took me about 7 months constant hunting to find my latest project. But it's just as much a sellers market, if you happen to have found yourself a property that people want to buy. Sure, the potential returns aren't what they were, say, 5 years ago, but if you aren't greedy and do your "research", you can still make a decent investment.

OK, enough for now! BTW, Justin, you appeared briefly at the beginning of the show, looking very studious but somewhat bored I'm afraid, and certainly not looking like you were about to bid on anything. Some geezer from A.N.Other website was included in several pieces, talking like he is some sort of financial boffin (enough clues?) so he obviously played the game a bit more than you did! But hey, so long as your mum is proud, that's far more important than anything Trev & his team had to say!

Best wishes to everyone.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 10:35 AM by saznaz Star rating in los altos and kent. 134 posts Send private message

I watched the show and as someone in the process of buying and not completing til end of year did not feel that we should pull out When me and husband came out in march we were thinking long term and the kind of place we would like to holiday at but primarily other people would want to rent and los altos in torrevieja was perfect for us Foremost its for a holiday home and secondly and investment Like u say we did the research checked we cld afford it and didn't go in thinking we wld make a fast buck as we are unfortunately five years too late For that We decided against buying off plan just in case everything changed with regard to the layout and land ownership and purchased with a reputable company We might have paid a little more for all of the above but at least we have peace of mind From the show I got the inmpression that a lot of people that are in dire straits now was due to them wanting a quick turnaround due to the nature of how the money was borrowed ie off your parents who want it back quickly after it was built Granted peoples circumstances can change unexpectedly but I feel that you need to think of every possibility even if it could be quiet depressing ie marriage breakdown, loss of job etc As they say there's no such thing as a free lunch I agree that there shld be a more positive programme Ps can you get the living in spain channel on freeview

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 11:59 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi saznaz

No, the new Spanish channel is not on Freeview.

Regards,

Rosemary

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 5:11 PM by nevrawli4 Star rating. 12 posts Send private message

Hi folks

Just thought i would add my comment to the trever mac programme, There was a part of it that showed the development me and the wife plus 2 cats will be living on the 2nd jul. (Terra del sol) is its name in the area of Calasparra Murcia. The agent stated that there were villas  there unsold and the gardens overgrown and pictured a very depressing situation of things there. They never mentioned the development  by name and if it had been in the uk there would be now  be court procedings . They must have struggled to find the worst area on the site. It never showed the lanscaped gardens with pools etc.This part was not only bad jounalism but a complete pack of lies. The builder on this development only build 20 units per year probobly due to restrictions from the local town hall. All the villas are taken before he starts. Phase 6   which he is about to start are to my knowledge all sold. The area is one of pine forrests in rural countryside  near calasparra town which is famous for its rice growing. A haven for those who wish a peacefull way of life. I dont give a monkey, toss about how little or how much my villa will make or has made. We have made our choise to live there because we want to and researched before we bought like many other people on other developments. Not only does it wind poeple who already live in Spain it also has a bad effect on those who are planing to move there with a ( youve gone and done it now) feeling. There are poeple who buy  property to make a quick buck, there are people who dont get the proper health insurance too and fall foul to the system. But there are poeple who bought with there head wisely because they wanted to live there and are happy living there but this is never shown. I will say that a person who has bought on this development who will live behind me and who is a journalistis now going to take up the fight. The very first thing he will be doing is to contact the woman on the programme asking her where she got her information from as the telephone number was shown on the agents shop. Then he is trying to ask our trev why he published a programme fabricated on lies. Watch this space

Like 0      
03 Jun 2007 10:54 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Endorse everything Rob has said - as usual his pearls of wisdom are spot on - Morerosado - how do you know I am a randy croc (who's been talking out of turn - I am the least randy person that I know). You dont put where you own in Spain so we dont know whether you would be in the area for any production reflecting the true state o9f affairs and a more balanced view.

In my opinion the show was portrayed in a negative light - then again there is a lot of negativity here but the one positive is that there is exceptional value to be had if one is not simply looking for a specific property or or fast buck. As I have said so many times before property is cyclical as is every other market and if one can choose ones time to buy or sell and you have invested wisely in the first place then you should be fine. As a mature market this is now a place for investors and not the speculators that drove the market up in the first place - or alternatively those that actually want to own their own piece of Spain. Unfortunately the sound bites that were shown did not reinforce enough some of the positive fundamentals of the market here - guess thats what sensationalist TV is about. For those that are realistic about expectations on returns and the long term strength of Spain as an economy and proeprty market it will always be a sound place to spend their hard earned cash.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
04 Jun 2007 1:43 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Smiley, you say "Morerosado - how do you know I am a randy croc (who's been talking out of turn - I am the least randy person that I know)."

You're forever flirting with the EOS females, admit it, especially one going by the name of ......... no, I couldn't say who. 

Like 0      
04 Jun 2007 9:57 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I like your suggestion Technoape.  It's given me an idea......

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
04 Jun 2007 4:34 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Unfortunately Janice has left us so I have nobody left to flirt with on the site so I dont know who you mean - incidentally you dont put where you are from or where your home is in Spain??

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
04 Jun 2007 4:58 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Never mind, Smiley!  I think Janice's sister is around and has maybe joined us in her place!!

Keep it in the family, eh!

On another note, I believe Rosemary is in the Costa Blanca region, reading from her posts.  Is that right, Rosemary?

Like 0      
04 Jun 2007 5:45 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hola Everyone!

I thought I would let the heat die down before putting my side onto the fire.  Also I have been ill for a few days - and still under the weather but work dictates I cant lie down and sleep!!!

Obviously I saw the show and to be honest whilst yes it did concentrate on the falling market, other points were mentioned although not highlighted.

Unfortunately it is indicative of the current market. People who have to sell cannot sell without lowering their prices. There are buyers around, many of them, but they are totally confused with regards to prices and true values - this is a problem to be laid at the door of the estate agents in general who have absolutely no idea of how to accurately value a property. Obviously it goes without saying Gillespie and Georgia alongside a couple of the others on this forum are excepted, but the bigger boys should take a lot of the blame for the mess the market is in.

The TMD programme is only one of many to be showing Spain in a bad light and judging from the numerous calls from the Irish end, they saw it as a true picture - bearing in mind how many of them own property over here and now have to sell!

Certainly I was hugely pleased with the amount of exposure I got - and I did not feel I showed Spain in any particular light, good or bad. An auction room is by nature very open and transparent, it is a forum for buyers and sellers to gather and trade property. It is there you will see the true condition of a property market and a true price of a property. I am pleased to say I sold one before auction, another just after, lot 1 is under offer and today I showed another in Calahonda to 2 clients, one set came to the auction, the other saw the catalogue and is very interested. I have a third set of people to view the same property next week and there is a high change I will accept an offer on it.

If they all accept, then 4 out of the 6 lots will have sold - not bad for a poor market! But then again I have far more buyers than sellers selling at realistic prices.

Having lived here for over 12 years and haveing been involved with Spain for an awful lot longer than that, I do have a good understanding of where prices should be.

Unfortunately the greed over the last 15 years has bought us to where we are now and with such a massive oversupply of units on the costas it will take years for the balance to redress itself.

This, whilst in many cases being a mirror image of the late 80 and early 90s UK property market, will not resurrect in the same way. Why? because there is no basic industry here. The labour laws are so in favour of the employee that large companies who looked here in the early 80s such as Ford decided against setting up factories here.  Oh how different it would have been to have true work on the coast, not the service industry we see. The service industry thrives on other peoples money, from the cleaners of property right up to the cosmetic surgeons - then newest growth industry on the coast here in Marbella!

The service industry was the first to crumble in the UK 90s and it is going the same way here - it is a natural cull but with it goes the underpinning of money paid in rentals, to restaurants, to international schools, etc.

The effect is what we see now and no amount of bleating will change things. The negative press with regards to the illegal builds and dodgy lawyers is only a small part of the problem, the main one is the oversupply and overinflated prices. And the sooner it is out in the open an taken to task, the sooner confidence will return in the market.

It is telling that 1 year ago exactly (I check all my facts and figures) I had under 3200 individual people looking at our website. I would have had around 100 plus emails and the phones did not stop all day long. We toook on units and showed loads of property with an average of 2 sales a week. Now I get nearly 6000 people looking at the web, only 20% of the same amount of emails, much much fewer calls less staff but the same sales! Why - cos the speculative timewasters are not here now, scared off and I am dealing with sensible smart buyers who will always buy in Spain.

It will take years for the thousands and thousands of 2 bed apartments to be bought - after all how many retired people are really going to come here and live in the hills miles away from anywhere and anything? How can these places be rented out to holidaymakers? When many ex-holidaymakers have bought their own place, why whould they rent someone elses??

Who are the main buyers now? The Spanish - luckily they have money ad confidence in their own market but again they know what the prices should be!

So. a much much more complex issue that can possibly be addressed in a half hour programme, but then I guess the reality is that no one really wants to face the true reality of the market.

Us small guys will be okay over time - the larger agents will have to pare down and bring their costs back instead of increasing their commissions which is what they seem to be doing - oh and one of the reasons they have berated the programme and what I do is that they are trying to create a monopoly in my view - ie if you want to buy in Spain then you MUST pay their prices!

Not helpful for their owners who under whatever circumstances may HAVE to sell fast.

So. off my soapbox now, no doubt my comments will create slanging comments from others but there you go - I was never one to raise my head above the parapit wall and not expect to get it shot at!

Have a great evening everyone - I for one will be.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
04 Jun 2007 6:18 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar

"An auction room is by nature very open and transparent, it is a forum for buyers and sellers to gather and trade property. It is there you will see the true condition of a property market and a true price of a property."

Come on Rixxy as someone who knows a little about auctioneering I think  that statement is a bit OTT  It can only be as open and transparent as the auctioneer and /or the seller.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Property Management - 6 posts
Lloyds TSB UK & Spain - 3 posts
Snagging Time - 15 posts
Sharp fall in house sales to foreign purchasers on the Costa del Sol - 11 posts
CHILD´S BED FOR SALE. - 0 posts
Spanish Healthcare - 6 posts
Warning! Builder in serious trouble in Monte S.Juan - 1 posts
Ford Focus, 5 Dr, 1.6 Petrol, 3600 Euros - 6 posts
List your items for sale for free - 2 posts
I want to sell my car - 6 posts
English lawyer/ solicitor required specilising in "Spanish Law" to try and get our money back! - 26 posts
MEMBERS .. PLEASE LOOK IN HERE & TAKE NOTE. THANK YOU - 47 posts
Any Spanish people in Atlanta? - 5 posts
Guaranteed Rental Income, too good to be true??? - 36 posts
Any views on Parador - 17 posts
Las Tejas, Mogan, Gran Canaria - 8 posts
LFO for Los Lagos rejected August 16th - 3 posts
Breach of Contract - 71 posts
Breach of Contract? - 2 posts
"Pain in Spain" programme .. - 2 posts
paid a refundable deposit and not been able to get it back? - 4 posts
Website for small loads from UK - 0 posts
Snagging surveyors - 29 posts
Snagging surveyors - 0 posts
SHOPPING .. LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 146

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x