Can you drink the water?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

The UK has some of the cleanest drinking water in the world. Whats the Spanish water like and can you drink it? In the UK, we use a water filter (Britta jug) just to add a further step in the cleaning process. Are filters readily available in Spain? Every time we're there, we buy bottled water but I dont want to do this when we live there permanently.

All these questions are really coming out now as we have just a few weeks left before we leave!

thanks

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 8:12 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

Hi Eva
I think it depends where in Spian you are. I know that were we are, Partaloa, you can't, well you can if you can put up with a dicky tummy for a few days!!  Our neighbour say's it's fine after about a week I just about manage to brush my teeth with it!!! I do use it for tea and coffee though.

all the best
Sharon

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 9:00 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I use the water for cooking and in the kettle.  This subject has been discussed before, perhaps you could do a search for water filter's to find out what others have done in their houses on the Costa Blance.

There are people around who will install a gizmo to the tap for around 150e details are normally found in the local freebie papers.  Some also hand out leaflets at the markets.

I buy water at the supermarkets, small, med and large bottles each visit.

I have seen water filters and cartridges for sale in Lidl's but I would imagine the large stores would sell them too.  I get email notification of special offers in UK stores and when I return from Spain I notice that the same things have been on sale there.  I couldn't say how often these items are in the stores as I don't use them here either.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 9:57 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Eva

Where we are, we probably could drink the water (it won't be undrinkable ) but I wouldn't as it really doesn't taste nice. We buy 5litres at Lidl's only around 35c. Many on our urb have had those permanent water filters fitted. 

I know our friends who live just by Carrefour in Torrevieja use a Brita jug but I've drunk their water from the tap & it's acceptable to me.

Think it depends on your individual tastebuds.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 6/7/2008.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 10:44 AM by JPD Star rating in Hull, East Yorkshire.... 391 posts Send private message

JPD´s avatar
Hi there you can get a ceramic filter system for about 500 euros the filter will last about 2 years at a cost of 100 euros the water is supposed to be as good as at home , I was thinking of getting one just to save lugging water from the supermarket

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 11:59 AM by orchid Star rating in Costa Blanca _ Murci.... 5 posts Send private message

hi , we´ve been over here 4 years now. i drink water from the tap daily and i haven´t been to ill. Its literally a case of getting used to it ! Why spend money on water when you can get it directly from a tap.

Although , you may need to watch out if the waters being took from farms around the area you are at.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 12:51 PM by milli Star rating in Cheshire/ Formentera.... 65 posts Send private message

Eva

We  drink the water in Formentera, so are close to you . Keep a bottle of water for people who say they can't drink it. Always use it for cooking & in the kettle. We've never had a problem

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 12:55 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
I brought my Brita filter jug with me - with the new Maxtra filter.  I needn't have bothered as they are available here in most supermarkets.  Still, means I won't have any problem getting filters when I run out.

I spoke to one of the people selling the filters that fit onto your water supply.  She said that the Brita system did remove a lot of stuff but theirs removed a lot more - not surprising when you think about it!  I filter water to go into the kettle as it stops the kettle furring up with limescale and it also gets rid of the horrible fluoride smell.

I have had no ill effects with the filter jug and the water tastes fine.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 1:34 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

I bought a new in-line filter kit and tap on 'that auction site' a few weeks ago for £25. Took it over with me when I went last - airport security looked at it but there wasn't a problem - and fitted it myself. Dead easy to do if you're a little bit handy and needs only a couple of basic tools. Works really well now.

Steve. 

Steve.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 2:19 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Steve, you're definitely a bit handy !  

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 2:41 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar
We live in Albatera Campo and are supplied with water from a dubious source, probabley straight off the mountain. 

When we arrived, we were advised not to drink the water but it was OK for bathing etc, so we buy bottled water from Lidl or Aldi.

I spent many years travelling around the world with my work before we came to live here, one place was Papua New Guinea, we used to drink only rain water there, we didn't even boil it first, we had no problems.

I also worked at the Brita factory in Bicester, UK. I was advised by technical people there that Brita filters will remove almost all problems with drinking water, but they could not claim this in advertising, mind you, that may be only with UK treated water.

Here, I decided to try the tap water for hot drinks, so we bought a Brita filter jug and boiled the water twice when we used the electric kettle and now enjoy lovely tasting hot drinks. Now we have a gas hob, so we just let the water boil a little longer.

We still drink bottled water for cold drinks.

Does anyone remember the Cadbury salmonela episode, well, I some time have to go there for the steam boilers, I know the water chemist there. She was horrified when I told her what we did with the water at home in Spain, she gave me a test kit to see if there was any problem once I had filtered and boiled our water, the kit showed no problem. Also, after about 18 months, we have no health problems.

One other benefit of using the Brita filter is, the kettle does not furr up at all.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 4:32 PM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar
I am moving to Alfaix, near  Los Gallardos in Almeria. Anyone know what the water is like here?

Like 0      
08 Jun 2008 9:27 AM by sterling Star rating in Kent & Partaloa, Alm.... 206 posts Send private message

WET

Sorry couldn't resist that one

Like 0      
08 Jun 2008 5:29 PM by vickylou Star rating in murcia. 31 posts Send private message

I live near Murcia and we drink the tap water. We have never been ill and to be honest i cant tell the difference between bottled and tap water anyway lol....x

Like 0      
08 Jun 2008 5:30 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Vickylou, do you smoke ?

Like 0      
08 Jun 2008 5:34 PM by vickylou Star rating in murcia. 31 posts Send private message

Yes I smoke.....Why???

Like 0      
08 Jun 2008 5:35 PM by vickylou Star rating in murcia. 31 posts Send private message

Think 99% of spain smokes!!! lol xx

Like 0      
10 Jun 2008 11:56 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
The water in Duquesa is quite drinkable, espcially where we are in Princesa Kristina, but we only use it in our kettle, etc, and buy bottled water to drink.

However, why drink water when you can drink beer or wine instead!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 10:25 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar
Thanks all, think I'll stick to bottled for a while and try and introduce tap water a glass or two at a time, filtered of course

Like 0      
13 Jun 2008 10:26 AM by sallieg Star rating in estepona. 18 posts Send private message

Lived in various areas and always drank the tap water. 
Only disadvantage is the temperature as it is not cold out of the tap but tend to fill empty bottles and put them in the fridge. 

Was one occassion a few years ago when the resevoirs local got to such a low point the water had a too high mineral content but the local radio and television put out an announcement and advised boiling the water first, 

The water does not taste of chlorine like it does in UK it is a refreshing drink.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Site Clearence has started - 15 posts
Good agents on the CDS - 1 posts
Wifi - 2 posts
paying the sellers tax on a re-sale purchase - 8 posts
Phoning a Spanish mobile - 12 posts
E.O.S.VIDEO - 9 posts
New rules for empadonamiento, again - 2 posts
Morerosado is leaving - 34 posts
Ryanair to start flying from London Stansted to Madrid - 0 posts
Spanish Airport Guide Newletter - 13 posts
New Airport at Corvera - 1 posts
Agencis Tributaria Renta return - 3 posts
Easyjet discounts: Book by June 10th for June 16th to July 17th flights, all flights ! - 3 posts
Furnishing bedroom for rental - which beds? - 2 posts
Driving from Santander to Guardamar - 12 posts
Arrohabitage Don JUAN cARVAJAL - 1 posts
Health Insurance - 1 posts
Spanish Universities - 26 posts
i need a mortgage for apartment an looking for the best deal help - 7 posts
Casoir - 3 posts
Healthcare - 16 posts
Are you coming this summer? - 53 posts
Long term rental required on La Torre - 0 posts
Communal pool regulations in Valencia - 3 posts
New Ruling for Registering on the Padron - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 30

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x