Driving from Santander to Guardamar

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar
Hi all, 
I understand that there is a toll and a non toll route. In regard to the toll route, does anyone know how much the tolls would cost for the entire journey and also if exact change is required?

thanks

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 12:28 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Hi,

I don't know what the entire cost would be, however we use the toll route from Malaga to Duquesa, and it comes to around €5 or €6 in total, depending if you go through them during the day or during the night, as it's cheaper on those toll roads late evening/night.

I think they prefer the correct change, as it's less for them to do, however notes are fine - although I did get a look from one guy when I gave him a €50 note - it was all the money I had left on our 1st trip to Duquesa, and he only wanted €2.35!!!

We are going to be traveling Santander to Duquesa soon, with a stop at a dog friendly hotel over night.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 6/6/2008.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 12:39 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Forgot to say:

If you are moving to Spain, then I suggest you buy a LHD car here in the UK and drive that out.

From all the resaerch that I've done, and all the help everyone has given me on this forum, it's the cheaper option by far, even though at one point you will have to pay to re-register the car. However, if you own the car for more than 6 months before you re-register it, then I believe you can avoid the extra tax.

If you need details of a reputable LHD dealer here in the UK, then the Left Hand Drive Place seem very good. I've just paid a deposit on a nice BMW 325 i Touring and they are going to deliver the car for me, and then once I'm happy I pay for the car and drop the driver down to the local Train Station. Their URL is: www.lhdplace.co.uk/

The lady I dealt with is called Maggie, ask for her and say that Colin recommended them.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 1:07 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar
Hi TechNoApe,

thanks for the advice. I always thought that buying a car in Spain would be the best option as it is much cheaper than buying a LHD car over here (or so I've been told).
Dare I say it but, the advice I was given was to scour the local papers for someone desperate to return to the UK, as they are often in a hurry and a real bargain can be had.

As I am leaving for Spain this month, I wouldn't qualify for the tax saving either.. but I will check out the web site just in case I find a bargain.

thanks

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 1:28 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
The trouble with buying a car from a private seller in Spain is:

1) You don't know if there is any tax owing on the car, and will only find out when you then sell the car on.
2) You don't know if they legally own the car that they are trying to sell you! 

I heard a horror story about a BRITISH guy was selling his car this way, big sob story about having to move back to the UK and desperate to sell the car, hence a bargin price! However it turned out it wasn't HIS CAR to sell, it was a HIRE CAR, and the reason he wanted to go back to the UK, was to get away from the Spanish Police.

Also, like for like 2nd hand cars in Spain are more expensive than here in the UK. Having said that, Justin recommended PCS in Gibraltar, who find good cars for you, from reputable dealers! Their web site is: www.personalcarshopper.net/

The only way I would by a car in Spain is either from a dealer, and even then I would ask around to see if they are any good. This is what I've always done in the UK..

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 1:44 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

you're swaying me!!! Gonna take a look at the web sites you mentioned now. Gotta get my skates on though, if I want to be outta here this month.
thanks

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 2:03 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
I'm not trying to dissuade you from buying a car in Spain, far from it.

When we get there we'll have to buy a 2nd car for my Mrs, and I think you could get a good buy in Spain. I just think that if it's to good to be true, then it probably isn't!

I've talked to Justin and Roberto at length about this subject, and the general concensus is that if you are moving to Spain, get a left hooker from the UK and save a few bob. Plus you are safe in the knowledge of the fact that you have the UK law behind you,,  plus you can HPI check the car here in the UK, before you buy it!

When you buy from a good UK dealer, you have all this.

I suppose it's one less unknown to worry about, knowing you haven't got 2 cars welded together, with the plates from a third, and STILL some tax owing on it!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 7:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Just want to point out that to avoid the matricualtion tax you must have owned the car for at least 6 months prior to "importing" it, and you must register it within, I think (opinion varies) 30 days of applying for residency. Also need a certificate form the British embassy. If you have not owned the car 6 months, or if you already have your residency etc., you will have to pay matriculation (registration - not import) tax based on the assumed value of the vehicle. Techno's fancy Beemer looks to be a bit of a bargain, but it may not always work out cheaper to buy in the UK. it's also a bit of a hassle actually getting a car re-registered, so do your homework and make sure it's going to work out beneficial to you.

Back to Eva's original question, I think the toll route she meant was from Santander to the coast via Zaragoza? My only time travelling that route taught me that avoiding the tolls means competing with lots of heavy goods vehicles and other traffic on a terribly potholed old road. Actually, a better route is probably via Madrid. Not sure if there are any tolls that way. I think someone posted once a link to a site that lists all tolls etc. Via Michelin? Try Googling route planners to see what you come up with.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 7:57 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
That's another reason why I use the toll roads, a lot less traffic!

The first reason being I can put my foot down (ahem)

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 5:49 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar
Thanks for the reply Roberto and TechNoApe, think I'll probably stick to the toll roads as potholed roads dont seem to attractive with a 4 month old baby in the back. I'll be using Tom Tom (so good they named him twice) so shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Can anyone recommend a good Euro car breakdown service, I was going to go with the AA but would welcome other recommendations.
thanks

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 11:07 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar
Eva,

I was going to ask the same question!

I've always used the RAC for the UK, and was thinking about upgrading to the Euro Package, anybody know if this is as good as the RAC say it is, or is there a better Euro breakdown service?

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 4:38 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
We got the best quote from the RAC when we travelled over last month. As it happens, we needed their help - but at Exeter! They were with us in less than half an hour and we were back on the road 20 minutes later.

We came Santander to Zarragoza on our way to our first stop at Teuel, from memory the toll was €25 and we paid by credit card.

This message was last edited by J&N on 6/7/2008.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
07 Jun 2008 4:40 PM by mr.kevin Star rating in Costa Blanca. 189 posts Send private message

mr.kevin´s avatar

We went to and came back from the UK last Decemeber crossing the border at San Sebastion, using the main road to Madrid via Albacete / Murcia. This road goes close to Santander and is mostly non-toll motorway and dual carriageway, use the M50 non-toll round Madrid. It is a long way but the road is good all the way with lots of service areas.

I know this road is not the shortest, but it is a good road.

One tip though, use the AP1 from Burgos, this is a toll road but cheap enough.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Arrohabitage Don JUAN cARVAJAL - 1 posts
Health Insurance - 1 posts
Spanish Universities - 26 posts
i need a mortgage for apartment an looking for the best deal help - 7 posts
Casoir - 3 posts
Healthcare - 16 posts
Are you coming this summer? - 53 posts
Long term rental required on La Torre - 0 posts
Communal pool regulations in Valencia - 3 posts
New Ruling for Registering on the Padron - 11 posts
Help! Apartment needed before completion. - 30 posts
Computer Guru required... - 25 posts
Valencian Health Cards to go !!!! - 8 posts
Hi, I'm new!! - 6 posts
Great photo opportunity tomorrow morning at Alicante airport - 8 posts
Commercial mortgage help required. - 2 posts
bistro red - 8 posts
4 X 4 hire - Murcia - 0 posts
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE BEACH CLUB AT VALLE DEL ESTE IS OPEN AGAIN - 4 posts
Wanted Second Hand Diesel Car - 6 posts
automatic car wanted - 0 posts
MERCEDES SL500 - 0 posts
Deposits paid. OVP Ocean View Properties / Sungolf Desarrollo inmobilliario.sa - 18 posts
Banco De Valencia - 3 posts
good lunch place - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x