Phoning a Spanish mobile

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

My friend is arriving at Gibraltar airport a few days after we arrive .  She will have a UK mobile ( of course ) . What is the prefix she will need to use to contact us on a  Spanish mobile when she arrives in Gibraltar should she need to ?   i would hate her to be left there if somehow we could not make it in time when we pick her up . 

Also what is the prefix to phone a mobile in Spain from the UK - again in case she needs to contact us.  

Will be very grateful .

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 5:01 PM by Diane and Joe Star rating in Sheffield. 152 posts Send private message

Diane and Joe´s avatar
I'm not entirely sure but international calls to UK mobiles are either 0044 and drop the initial 0 from the number or +44 and drop the initial 0 from the number.  At a guess, calls to a Spanish mobile would be 00 34 and the number or +34 and the number.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 5:34 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Mobiles need to have the + at the front when dialling, so the code for Spain is +34.

Mark

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 5:47 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

06 Jun 2008 6:15 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
I have never used the + sign when dialling from my English or Spanish mobiles. I always use 00 44 for UK or 00 34 for Spain.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 6:23 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I have tried using 00 as a prefix from 02  and Vodafone, both of which give a unobtainable tone. If you look at the way a new phone number is presented in your moile screen, you will se it is generally shown as +(countrycode)1132770000 for example.

Mark

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 6:29 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
My English mobile is O2 & dialling 00 works fine. When someone calls me from the UK then the number appears as +44

The Spanish mobile is with Happy Movil & again if I am dialing the UK, I use 00. If someone in Spain calls the mobile then it is just the basic number that appears.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 6:34 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Must be different with some providers then Noreen. We have a vodafone.es sim card and if someone rings from Spain to the mobile, the full number shows, which is +(countrycose), unless they are already in the address book, then their name shows.

Mark

Like 0      
03 Jul 2008 4:11 PM by Ken-n-Pat Star rating in Telford Midlands. 26 posts Send private message

One thing to be aware off if you buy a Sp[anish Mobile for use whilst out there - if you don't use it for a month it gets cut off.  Once a month just phone your UK mobile and don't answer it it then remains live.  This happened to me and when I go out there again I will have to buy another sim card.

Like 0      
03 Jul 2008 4:38 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
I spoke to Vodafone when I bought the sim and they said it was 9 months without a top up before they cut off the number, and they would send a text message at 6 months to remind you. I came home in April and the phone has been switched off since then. The Wife went out last week, bought some credit and rang me every night on it.

Mark

Like 0      
03 Jul 2008 4:44 PM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

Mine is 6 months - I think!  Anyway, I keep it switched off when I'm here and I think the longest I haven't used it was 4 months.  It had no credit, but would receive calls.  I went to Spain and topped it up - no problem

Like 0      
04 Jul 2008 12:15 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Being able to receive calls without credit may not be universal with all mobiles. Our Moviestar phone's credit was used up and it couldn't receive calls but that may have been because they were out from out of Spain. OH uses it a lot when in Spain and forgot to check balance.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2008 10:47 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Being able to receive calls without credit may not be universal with all mobiles. Our Moviestar phone's credit was used up and it couldn't receive calls but that may have been because they were out from out of Spain. OH uses it a lot when in Spain and forgot to check balance.

We had a similar problem with our Moviestar phones after a couple of hours with my Spanish dictionary I finally worked out what was wrong.

I always top up our phones in December and June with the minimum of 5e to keep the phones "alive".  Although the phones needed topping up by 24/12 I did both on 10/12, normally this wouldn't have been a problem as we're normally out in Spain in early June.  Arrived out in Spain 23/6 to find I had a nil balance, I could still receive calls but couldn't make any. We have a landline so I rarely make calls on my mobile.

Quick dash to local kiosk and after topping up with 5e missing amount + top up back onto phone.  

Points to remember for anyone else with a Moviestar PrePayGo mobile.

You have 45 days grace after your top up date expires before you loose your credit.

Some of the "credit messages" use american date format, very confusing when you're looking at 6/10 instead of 10/6. (OH's phone - same problem as mine but got totally confused by the date)

Ken n Pat wrote   One thing to be aware off if you buy a Spanish Mobile for use whilst out there - if you don't use it for a month it gets cut off.  Once a month just phone your UK mobile and don't answer it it then remains live.  This happened to me and when I go out there again I will have to buy another sim card.

I've had my Moviestar phone since 2004 and I've never been cut off, what company are you with?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

E.O.S.VIDEO - 9 posts
New rules for empadonamiento, again - 2 posts
Morerosado is leaving - 34 posts
Ryanair to start flying from London Stansted to Madrid - 0 posts
Spanish Airport Guide Newletter - 13 posts
New Airport at Corvera - 1 posts
Agencis Tributaria Renta return - 3 posts
Easyjet discounts: Book by June 10th for June 16th to July 17th flights, all flights ! - 3 posts
Furnishing bedroom for rental - which beds? - 2 posts
Driving from Santander to Guardamar - 12 posts
Arrohabitage Don JUAN cARVAJAL - 1 posts
Health Insurance - 1 posts
Spanish Universities - 26 posts
i need a mortgage for apartment an looking for the best deal help - 7 posts
Casoir - 3 posts
Healthcare - 16 posts
Are you coming this summer? - 53 posts
Long term rental required on La Torre - 0 posts
Communal pool regulations in Valencia - 3 posts
New Ruling for Registering on the Padron - 11 posts
Help! Apartment needed before completion. - 30 posts
Computer Guru required... - 25 posts
Valencian Health Cards to go !!!! - 8 posts
Hi, I'm new!! - 6 posts
Great photo opportunity tomorrow morning at Alicante airport - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x