New Ruling for Registering on the Padron

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I received this email this morning so thought I would copy it for this board to read

I attending an official meeting tonight in Altea and it was stated that;

'It is no longer a requirement to hold a residencia or certificate of same
to be eligible to register on the padrón'.

This clarification is from Madrid as of 3rd June 2008.

Of course your ayuntamiento may say different for a while anyway, but this
is now the rule in Altea.

Wonder how long it will take the other ayuntamiento's to follow suit?

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 11:33 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
We registered on the padron four years ago and we weren't residents then.  I don't think you have needed to be resident to register on the for quite some time now.

Anyone else think any differently?

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 11:45 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
As semi will likely know as she's in the Orihuela area that particular ayuntamiento chooses to do it differently ! 

We are on Guardamar Padron, we're non resident.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 7:31 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I tried to register on the Torrevieja Padron 3 years ago but after waiting for 2 hours to be seen I was turned away as I didn't live in Spain for 11 months of the year

Perhaps if I'd seen someone else I might have been able to register, others I've spoken to didn't encounter any problems.  

We have someone in our area who I suppose you would call a liasion officer (can't remember his exact title) he was reporting in the local English press that we should be able to register on the padron as this was our only residence in Spain.  Torrevieja moved the office to another part of town and registration became easier.  

In a lot of the local elections last year non-residents were able to sway the vote.

Personally I think we should be able to have a say in who we want to run our council but others disagreed so in January this year it was announced that to sign on the padron you needed to show proof that you are applying for residencia. 

A lot of people who live in Orihuela Costa (Playa Flemenca) are even worse off as they are unable to register until they have the Residencia.  On other sites there are often reports from mothers who are trying to get there children into school but are hitting the brick wall of a Jobsworth.

There's always complaints about Orihuela Costa being the forgotten part of the Orihuela district, perhaps the powers that be in Orihuela are afraid that if everyone is allowed to sign on the pardon in Orihuela Costa then the true size of that area will become apparent.   The IBI tax would then have to be assigned there rather than used in the main town inland.  They must be raking in the money but not a lot appears to be spent in the coastal part as it is very tatty.

I think Orihuela Costa stretches from Punta Prima to Campoamor, if I'm correct then it's a very large area.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 10:50 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Can't BELIEVE it's ONLY 400 Semi. You seem to have been posting for ages. However, your posts tend to be long & very informative so it seems like heaps more.

Congrats from More.

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 11:20 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar
We registered on the Padron at our local town hall way out in the campo about two years ago.
Passports and proof of address were all that were required.
I cannot understand the reluctance of some authorities to register new people; its to their advantage more than the applicant.
The more people they have on the Padron the more money they fet from the government and its also the means by which they can send out the bi-annual rates demands.
Good for them really, far more than us!

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 2:49 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

That's the reason I went along with all my documents to sign on, for their benefit not mine but still hit the brickwall of beaurocracy.

400 posts, that went quick it seems like only yesterday that I'd just past the 100.

I blame the laptop, I can watch tv and type as well much to the disgust of the OH

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 9:20 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

received updated info so have posted it here and where I should have posted - I think

The official word on the Padron from Altea.

Padron

The edict from the National Office of Statistics has been rescinded. This
edict which was sent to all town halls in December 2007, stated that EU
citizens had to present a current Residents Certificate, before they were
able to sign onto the Padron (Town Census) in Altea, (something anyone who
lives for more then 3 months of the year is required to do by law)

This requirement is now no longer necessary.

A motion was sent by Carolina Punset to the NIE objecting to this
requirement, but before they replied, central government in Madrid wrote to
say the certificate is not required for EU citizens when they wish to be
added to the town census (Padron).

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 10:04 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

I'm afraid Orihuela Costa is still insisting on the Residencia first.  I am at stage 3 of the process - 1 is queuing for 2 hours for the form, 2 is going to a bank with your money and getting another form stamped, 3 is queuing again - but with a set date and designated place in the queue - to hand in your forms and then 4 is to go back in 2 weeks for the certificate.  I asked on Monday if I could apply for the Padron with my receipt for all the forms but was told I had to actually wait for the certificate.

I checked what I would need for the Padron and ithey state that I will need the Residencia certificate and a copy, as well as other bits I can't remember (another CRAFT moment).  I remember one of them is a utility bill.   As town halls don't do copies, I assume that I won't therefore be able to take my certificate from one office and go and join the queue for the Padron, a few yards away, but will have to go and make a copy and then come back again.

And I thought I might be stuck for things to do when I came out here!!!

I just don't understand why they can't issue clear instructions in the comon languages - English, German, etc - and then do everything in one appointment, including taking your money.  Why don't the banks object to being forced to be part of this farce, for the sake of a few euros?  I'm used to working for a large local government department and thought we were beaurocratic but Spain is a whole new experience!!

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 4:41 PM by Frustrated Owner Star rating in Torreblanca del Sol. 56 posts Send private message

Frustrated Owner´s avatar
We registered in Fuengirola last year and now receive a 30% discount on the IBI and refuse collection charges. Even though we could vote we don't - they all tell the same lies !!!! - but hey, 30 % discount !!!!!!! that's worth having.

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 9:13 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I'm toying with the idea of trying to register again when I'm next over in 2 weeks time.

Last time I took my copy simpla, NIE, passport + copy, utility bill but whether they were acceptible I never got to find out.  

Hope you get sorted Clare, you're not reading War & Peace by any chance

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 9:48 PM by shar Star rating in Campo in Albatera, C.... 36 posts Send private message

shar´s avatar
Hi

For what its worth I am in Albatera Alicante and here you can register on the padron without a residence certificate and also without even and NIE! so you do not have to be a resident at this moment to be on the electoral roll and or padron. This has been the case for at least the last four years and continues to be. Here in Albatera at least for now, who knows what tomorrow will bring!

Shar

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Help! Apartment needed before completion. - 30 posts
Computer Guru required... - 25 posts
Valencian Health Cards to go !!!! - 8 posts
Hi, I'm new!! - 6 posts
Great photo opportunity tomorrow morning at Alicante airport - 8 posts
Commercial mortgage help required. - 2 posts
bistro red - 8 posts
4 X 4 hire - Murcia - 0 posts
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE BEACH CLUB AT VALLE DEL ESTE IS OPEN AGAIN - 4 posts
Wanted Second Hand Diesel Car - 6 posts
automatic car wanted - 0 posts
MERCEDES SL500 - 0 posts
Deposits paid. OVP Ocean View Properties / Sungolf Desarrollo inmobilliario.sa - 18 posts
Banco De Valencia - 3 posts
good lunch place - 0 posts
Orange.es - 2 posts
Any recommendations for letting agents in Torrevieja? - 2 posts
Licence of First Occupation- What Happens if You Don't Get It? - 10 posts
Restaurant El Toro Steakhouse, CV 951 road to Torremendo, Alicante. - 5 posts
Globespan - 5 posts
Can any EOS member Recommend a Good Car Hire company based at Malaga Airport. - 8 posts
Problems with bank guarantees on Santa Maria Greenhills - 34 posts
Roguey - 0 posts
Anyone see an audience with Neil diamond on ITV ? - 4 posts
Manyana muy bien para mi. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x