Help! Apartment needed before completion.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by homersimpson Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi I'm Pat & my husband is Mike, I have just found this site whilst looking for property in Spain, we are hoping to buy a second home somewhere in the not too distant future, but I am finding it mind boggling, there is so much property out there for sale & so many areas (as you probably already know).

Can you please help we are in our early sixties therefore don't want to be near rowdy night clubs etc. but would like to be near enough to be able to walk to nice restaurants, beaches etc.

The property would need at least two bedrooms & I don't like these long narrow living rooms, a fireplace would be nice as it sets of a room & they are generally wider when fitted, we like modern light & airy with plenty of balcony or patio space.

Are budget would be no more than £150,000 (no mortgage)

Look forward to your replies

Many thanks, Pat

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 12:04 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Pat & Mike

You'll have all the agents jumping on you for that post in this economic climate. Fortunately, most are great people. Gillespie & Georgia to name two I know & have met. There are others so be prepared.

Good luck in your venture.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 10:44 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Hi Pat - You've started with a wish list and once you start viewing properties, "must have" and "don't like" can be included.

All you need now is a where list, hopefully that will cut down the number of agents who will contact you.

Do you have a favourite part of Spain or have you considered holidaying in some of the areas you've seen on the internet to give you a better idea of what you're looking for.

If you have a list of areas you're considering there maybe people on this site who could give you further information.

One thing which struck me when reading your post, you want to be within walking distance of good restaurants, the sea but not rowdy nightclubs.  I'd probably be more concerned about noise coming from the nearby bars, the nearer the sea you are the more bars there will be.

You've got a healthy budget and should be able to find somewhere suitable once you can narrow down the area.  It's a buyers market so there's no need to rush, if you make a mistake then it could cost you a lot of money.

Last few tips, read Buying a house in Spain and You & the Law in Spain (David Searle), two books you can either buy on the internet or any large bookstore.  Heavy reading at first but very useful.

When you finally find the house of your dreams, find out what the yearly expenses are.  If it's on an urbanisation what's the yearly community fees, I've heard of some people who are paying 3k euros a year, a fact they found out after they had bought the house!

Wish you all the best for the future

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 11:08 AM by homersimpson Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thank you very much for your input, I see you are both regular uses of this site so value your opinion.

I have seen a property in Playa Flamenca which, out of the thousandsI have looked at was lovely & I have contacted the owners who are around the same age as ourselves & want to move further North.  We have never been to this area of Spain, although years ago we visited many parts of Spain when the children were small, many of the places we first visited like Magaluf, Salou, Benedorm etc, etc, were wonderful places to take a holiday, now, well you know what I mean (wish I was eighteen again!!).

I also saw a property, actually advertised on this site at Palmeros de Calahonda, which they reckon has been reduced by over 60000 euros! I have seen some feedback here from people who have actually bought these properties & there does seem quite a few problems, I have tried to look at the photo section but don't seem to be able to get into it, any suggestions.  The apartments I have to say look fab, just the layout I like, but not good if they are having major problems.

I look forward to all these agents contacting me, but they will find I am not an easy push over & I research & research, but thats their job so as they say "bring it on".

Thanks again & look forward to more posts.

Pat

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 11:42 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
Hi Homer...........
Great name,you can get a penthouse apartment in Playa Flamenca for approx 135,000€,private roof solarium looking out to sea.
That will give you an idea and perspective of asking prices.
That could give you plenty of change from your budget.
Research is your biggest weapon so use it well.
If i can be of any help let me know.
I don't want to be hearing you say DOH! in the future.
Regards
Georgia

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 12:09 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Glad to here or should I say read, that you are doing your research so will be able to tell when someone is telling you porkies.

As the saying goes if something seems to good to be true then that's because it is.

Playa Flemenca is quite a large area and a few people from this forum live there.  If you want to mention the apartments by name then someone might be able to tell you more information (warts and all) and give you a run down on the area.

I live a short drive away from Punta Prima which is at the beginning of where Playa Flamenca starts.  I like the area and it has improved in the five years I've owned a holiday home.  

I also like Torrevieja but it's not to everyones taste.  I think you have to look beyond the scruffiness to see everything it has to offer.  It's changed an awful lot since I first saw it and for the better.  It has a new Theatre and eventually will have a tram link to the airport. I quite like the idea of moving into an apartment in town but OH not so keen, he likes to walk around our estate (as he calls it), end of terrace with patio front, side and back

This area I found by chance through a friend and I love it.  I'd mainly holidayed on the Costa Del Sol and like you had only visited the Costa Blanca for a couple of trips to Benidorm when i was a teenager.

I have a second Home in Spain, the emphasis being on home and it feels like that everytime I walk through the door.

Keep the questions coming there's always someone on these forums that have been there done that and bought the tshirt.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 12:11 PM by homersimpson Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Pleased to hear from you Georgia especially as you have come recommended, "famous eh"

When looking at cheaper property I find  the layouts are poky to say the least, the lounges look like large bathrooms (must be marble floors).

Obviously any help would be very welcome, the property we are interested in in Playa Flamenca is 187.500 Euro & is a town house with three bedrooms & very modern, what do you think of this price for this house?

Many thanks 

Pat

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 12:41 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
Hi Homer,
Glad to hear i am recommended,its my favourite word,please pass my thanks on to the purveyor.
Can you give a little more info on where the townhouse is,the urb will do no need for street and number.
There rae 3 values that can be put on it,what the vendor thinks it is worth,what the buyer thinks it is worth and what the bank thinks it is worth(and of course my two penneth)
It does seem a little top heavy in comparison with what you can get at the moment,it all depends on the location,in all honesty you could probably pick up a villa for that price at the minute,it depends on whether you prefer the other location.
If you let me know where it is i can give you my opinion on what i would expect to pay.
Kind regards
Georgia

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 1:43 PM by homersimpson Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi Georgia

The area is Rueda, I have tried looking on map but could'nt see it.  The property has been on since March so this I presume is the initial asking price without any negotiations, I don't think the couple are in any special hurry to move, they have lived there 4 years & it was built in 2000 by Quara builders.

Regards, Pat

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 4:02 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
Hi Homer,
Quara have  always built a nice quality home,i do not recognise the name of the area though in saying that Playa Flamenca is very big.
I think the best advice i could give is view a few more properties in a few more areas before you decide on anything,
there are a lot of property for sale at the moment and you will be spoilt for choice,you have all the power in your hands at the minute so use it wisely.
Regards
Georgia

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 4:05 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Hi Pat, Rueda doesn't refer to an area but the builder who built the urbanisation.

I'd never heard of it so I googled and rental properties came up with the for sale one's as well.

I'm not an expert on the area, it says it's close to the flemenca beach commercial area.  Not sure if this is near to Lidl's or further up near Mercadonna.  Hopefully someone will put us both straight.

The same property came up on two different websites, same price as you quoted, three bed 2 bathrooms and the picture shows it faceing the communial swimming pool.  On one of the websites though it went into more detail, the third bedroom is on the solarium.  It's a conservatory conversion with an on-suite shower room.

I viewed a couple of properties where this had been done in October, it's still reasonably warm that time of year but going inside the bedrooms it was like being in a sauna.

The property I eventually bought is a three storey townhouse.  My husband's a chef so he's used to working in the heat but even he won't go on our solarium in the summer.  He originally claimed it for his "talking book" area but he's only used it once.

If I was making a wish list now for a property to buy it would have to have 
Downstairs shower room/cloakroom
Separate Kitchen so the smells don't invade the lounge
A living room which has doors, open plan's good for summer but not for winter.  If you have stairs open to the lounge then you'll get drafts.
I have all of the above, the extra's would be
STORAGE, big wardrobes and cupboards.
On suite bathroom
Bigger Kitchen
Laundry Room.

Oh and your house must get the winter sun, idealy you should face the sea so you get the sun in the morning at the front and in the evening it will be at the back.  Saves on heating.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 4:13 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
i thought Homer said it was Quara Buit House,the same people who built Villamartin,La finca etc....etc....???

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 4:25 PM by homersimpson Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

We are hoping to come over to Spain later in the year but we are off to Samos in three weeks so this has delayed our trip to Spain.

Your help is fantastic it will enable me to make a short list of areas & property etc. the only problem is that Costa Del Sol, I believe, is something like 4-5 hrs away from Playa Flamenca area, it will have to be make your mind up time.

Thank you again

Pat  (hope I'm using this site right!)

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 4:26 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

So she did, I just googled Playa Flemenca Rueda and found some villas, flats and town houses.

Rueda's not an area I recognise either so I thought it referred to a building area.

There's also some new builds going up in San Miquel so maybe it's a style of house?

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 5:08 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
HI Semi- i haven't heard of it either,maybe some of the locals on here will enlighten us.
Homer-This site is all about helping peopel make the right decisions so you are doing just that,i know the site was set up to help peopel solve their problems with developments but i think it may eveolve soon enough into the preventiuon rather than the cure,if people are more aware of the whole process then it can only be a good thing..........
Playa Flamenca is a good 5 hours north of the CDS so unless you really really like driving it may take 2 trips if you are unsure about area.
good luck
Regards
Georgia

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 5:17 PM by homersimpson Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Georgia, I'm so glad your smiley is in Aston Villa Colours!!!!!!! my husband will be thrilled to think I am chatting to a Villa Supporter (he has had a season ticket for years).

Only joking I can see it also says "Spain"

Take Care

Pat

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 5:35 PM by BEANO Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

hi Pat & Mike, Welcome to EOS. I have found it to be such a help and so informative. We are currently buying off plan in Zeniamar in Punta Prima which is about 7km outside Torrevieja. Like you I researched and researched for about 2 years before making a decision on an area but it ticked all the boxes. The urbanisation is fantastic, and the properties come fully furnished etc. and are completely turn key. They even turn down the sheets (which they supply) when you go to collect your keys. So far we have had nothing but satisfaction about this and it is all going very smoothly. We love the area and have a huge range of restaurants within walking distance. There is a beach about 15 mins walk away and at least three others about 10 mins drive away. It is just far enough away from the major hustle and bustle to be peaceful and tranquil but just close enough to enjoy it all. A short 10 min drive takes you into Torrevieja to the nightly market stalls and a relaxing stroll down the coast and somewhere to sit and enjoy an icecream and people watch. Torrevieja looks a bit scruffy but has a lot to offer. On a Saturday morning we are a 10 minute walk away from the Playa Flamenca street market which lasts from 9am to about 1pm and is a very enjoyable "bargain" visit. I could wax lyrical about the area forever, unfortunately we're not in a position to move there but some day!! We had researched Vera and Palomares in Vera but the area doesn't have the choice or amount of amenities that Punta Prima/Playa Flamenca has to offer. We also looked at Mazarron but again we found the same problem. The properties were cheaper but you get what you pay for. Also the areas were very very expensive compared to Punta Prima and Playa Flamenca in relation to restaurants and bars. No harm checking it out. I only have positive things to say about it - I wish you all the luck in the world in finding your little piece of heaven in Espana.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 6:05 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
Hi Pat,
 a good friend of mine in the UK is also a season ticket holder at "the villa",i used to travel up and see him and grab a game when i could,he used to live in Asto near the Jaguar works,we used to go in the Holte Hotel near the ground(i suppose thats gone now).
I once sold a house for a guy in the UK that had painted his house claret and blue and on every wall inside was pictures of the team in years gone by,never gonna sell that to a blue!!!!
Fortunately and now we are going off thread i support the greatest team ever to grace the planet and the all conquering double winners.......
anyway,
I hope you find what you are looking for and if i can be of any help i will,as will all the members on here i'm sure.
"Tarra a bit" as they say in the midlands.
Regards
Georgia

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 6:07 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Georgia, you obviously aren't reading the posts properly or you'd have seen I recommended you (and Gillespie).   What R U like ?

If you want us to pop into your new office you need to tell us where you're now hiding too. 

Acapulco & missus are having coffee on Guardamar's sea front at Europa 1 on Tuesday with us so, if you're around, you can buy !!  They're also coming to us 12th at midday as is Karen & hubby so, again, if you're in area, call by. We've been invited to Almeria to Jacqui & Neils "J&N" (couple with spaniel puppies, remember) also to Jane & Terry's "Jane b" for a night. Pity Noreen's not there, keep missing each other. Meeting Pat "Patpur" too. All go eh ?

Sorry, Pat, all this has got nothing to do with buying property but goes to show many of us members have made great friends on the forum & have met up. Hubby & I have met Semi & her OH too. I  fact, Semi, are we meeting up ? We'll be there Mon 9th June till July 2nd. You're going any day again, aren't you ? Email me if you want to. We'd love to see your place & show you ours.

Pat, I found Georgia that avatar as he's ok at flogging property but lousy at tech stuff.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 6/5/2008.

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 6:08 PM by homersimpson Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Oh what lovely people on this site, so glad I found it, thank you Beano for your help, you sound very happy there.  Its like everything else in this life re; you only get what you pay for, I am obviously hoping for a bargain but when looking the cheaper properties are not so nice & its all down to area just the same as in the UK Location, location, location, thats why I need to find something in between.  We have friends who own a property at Golf Rio Real, Los Monteros which is fab but we would'nt be able to afford anything there, but not only that they have to have a car & drive to everthing, I do drive, but cannot imagine myself driving on the opposite side of the road & I know the traffic in Marbella is manic.

Take care & thanks

Pat

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Computer Guru required... - 25 posts
Valencian Health Cards to go !!!! - 8 posts
Hi, I'm new!! - 6 posts
Great photo opportunity tomorrow morning at Alicante airport - 8 posts
Commercial mortgage help required. - 2 posts
bistro red - 8 posts
4 X 4 hire - Murcia - 0 posts
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE BEACH CLUB AT VALLE DEL ESTE IS OPEN AGAIN - 4 posts
Wanted Second Hand Diesel Car - 6 posts
automatic car wanted - 0 posts
MERCEDES SL500 - 0 posts
Deposits paid. OVP Ocean View Properties / Sungolf Desarrollo inmobilliario.sa - 18 posts
Banco De Valencia - 3 posts
good lunch place - 0 posts
Orange.es - 2 posts
Any recommendations for letting agents in Torrevieja? - 2 posts
Licence of First Occupation- What Happens if You Don't Get It? - 10 posts
Restaurant El Toro Steakhouse, CV 951 road to Torremendo, Alicante. - 5 posts
Globespan - 5 posts
Can any EOS member Recommend a Good Car Hire company based at Malaga Airport. - 8 posts
Problems with bank guarantees on Santa Maria Greenhills - 34 posts
Roguey - 0 posts
Anyone see an audience with Neil diamond on ITV ? - 4 posts
Manyana muy bien para mi. - 1 posts
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR SELF EMPLOYED PEOPLE IN SPAIN - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 31

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x