:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Jun 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
In THE COASTRIDER THIS WEEK  

Valencian Health Cards to go

As we were about to go to press we were informed that the Valencian Health Authority will be ceasing to issue the health cards that are renewable for one year and only applicable within the Valencian Health Authority. These are the cards that were originally issued on humanitarian grounds to those entering the region illegally but the cover was extended because it was challenged that the treatment of European Union citizens should be the same. It appears that will no longer be the case. Sources have said that the change is imminent and could happen as soon as this week but we are unable to confirm this.

Existing cards will be valid until their expiry date and it is possible there may be a period of grace but full details are not yet available. It appears that 900 British people in the Torrevieja area will be affected and in total there are 1500 British card holders in the whole of the Valencian community.

We would stress that this will apply only to those cards issued under this scheme. Existing SIP cards issued if you are working and paying into the Health system and those issued to those of retirement age will still be issued as at present. 

Temporary cover will still be given to holders of E106 certificate again as at present for whatever the period calculated by Newcastle.

As soon as we have further details we will of course print them, meanwhile the advice we have been given is that if you hold one of these cards then you should seek advice from your local health centre.
Paul Mutter

Like 0      
08 Jun 2008 8:42 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

A Statement From the British Embassey
Re Ley de Aseguramiento Sanitario

The Valencian Government has announced the replacement of the Circular 1/2002 with a new law - the Ley de Aseguramiento Sanitario - that came into effect as from June 5.

The Circular 1/2002 scheme allowed people with no entitlement to health care to access the system free of charge, whilst the new law aims to regulate and control free access to the Valencian Health Care system.

The people that will be most affected by this measure are British Nationals who do not have access to the State health system through an E121 or E106, or who do not pay contributions to the Spanish Social Security system. These are mainly early retirees who do not work in Spain and who accessed the system through a legislation letter issued by the Health Service in the UK.

The new measures mean in effect that those in possession of a valid card will not have their entitlements removed, but when the card expires, cover cannot be renewed, and no new applicants will be accepted onto the scheme. Those who are in this situation and to not have entitlements to health care through E121, E106 or the Spanish Health system should consider taking out some form of private insurance.

More information is available online at www.dh.gov.uk

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 9:33 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Obtaining Healthcare Legally In Spain

Yes, I’m afraid it’s true.  The Valencian area has officially withdrawn the universal healthcare provided under the SIP scheme and these SIP cards will not be renewed.  The scuttlebutt/water cooler gossip/rumour control has it that so many Brits are using the EHIC whilst not resident in UK that money has not been sent over to Spain to cover the cost of the healthcare.  This is only rumour and I cannot comment on it’s veracity.

So, how to get healthcare in Spain?  This applies to all areas of Spain but I believe Catalonia has retained its healthcare scheme.

If you are going to Spain to work, you should be put onto the Spanish version of National Insurance which will cover you and your family.

If you are only visiting for short trips (up to 3 months) you will be covered for emergency treatment with the EHIC (replaced the E111 card a while back).  Make sure you get one by applying at www.dh.gov.uk .  Do not use a EHIC getting company as they will charge you for the service.  Cards are issued free from that website.  This is not a substitute for travel insurance.

If you are not going to work and are under retirement age  (60 for women and 65 for men), you require an E106 from the DWP.  Addresses and contact numbers are below.

The E106 will provide free Healthcare in Spain (or any other EEA country) for up to 2 years.  The length of time will depend on how long you paid contributions for in the two years prior to moving from UK.  It matters not a jot if you have paid into the system for 20 odd years or so before leaving.  This covers you for treatment in the UK.  If you have not paid NI contributions in UK for the last two years, you will receive no E106 entitlement whatsoever.  If you have paid for 1 year out of the last 2, you will get 1 years entitlement and so on.  You will only get the 2 years if you have paid for the full two years prior to moving abroad.  You must ensure you apply for the E106 before leaving UK as it may affect the length of cover you are given or cause delays in getting treatment.

If you are over retirement age (60 for women and 65 for men) and are not working, you need a E121 form from the same address as below.  If you are a married couple with only one partner over retirement age, the partner not of retirement age can obtain medical treatment as a dependant of the partner who is of retirement age.

Children under 18 receive free treatment depending on the status of their parent/guardian.

Whichever form you use, you should hand this in to your medical centre in Spain when you register.  The DWP will provide copies in Spanish if requested.

If you are going to live in Spain, whether retired or not, you should obtain a medical summary from your GP in UK (they can make a charge of up to £10 for this) and have it translated.  Medical problems, medication and details of treatment should be translated. 

Prescriptions for the retired are generally issued free in Spain.  This does not apply to prescriptions issued by hospitals as they are not classed as prescriptions but are an entitlement to medication.  These will be honoured by the pharmacy and a reduction in the cost is given depending on the type of medication.  If for an ongoing problem, a reduction of up to 90% can be given regardless of age.

Department for Work and Pensions
The Pension Service
International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE98 1BA

When you write, please give:

• your full name;
  • your date of birth; and
  • your National Insurance number (if you know it).

If you are phoning or sending a fax from outside the UK, dial the international code, then:
tel: 44 191 21 87777
fax: 44 191 21 83836

You can phone or fax The Pension Service, Tyneview Park, on:
tel: 0191 21 87777
fax: 0191 21 83836
email:tvp.internationalqueries@thepensionservice.gsi.gov.uk

I have been informed that the above phone number may be incorrect.  It is, however, the number given by the DWP website.  I will try ringing it and update the site if necessary.

Hope the above helps. 

Like 0      
16 Jun 2008 12:52 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
I think we're doooooooomed. First we can't sell our house and now they have taken away our health benefits.
Soooo...  who is the cheapest and best private health insurer for Spain please?

laury

Laury

Like 0      
16 Jun 2008 1:59 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

On another site someone is recommending Sanitas, the overseas version of Bupa.  If you are a Bupa member then I think your cover can be carried on so if you have an excisting condition then you'll be covered.  Or that's how I understood it.

I think they said it was 150e a month.

There's a website in English.

Like 0      
16 Jun 2008 2:57 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar
Thanks Semijubilada.

I couldn't find anywhere on there that linked to quotes though. It seems to be full of dead links. 
I suppose I could try ringing them.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
16 Jun 2008 3:27 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Is this the one you found, copied from the other site.  I take note of all comments even though I don't think we will need them as OH still can't decide what he wants to do, by the time he has I'll be drawing my pension

http://www.sanitas.es/websanitas/ing/index.html

You can get a quote from the above URL or call 902 400 232 for English speaking. Classic covers dental as well, but have never used it.

Also with Sanitas you are covered for Europe. One of the reasons I have enjoyed using Sanitas is that using San Jaime all the referral services are under the same roof.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2008 12:42 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Read REUTERS NEWS July 4th

Expats force Spanish healthcare rethink

MADRID (Reuters) - Britons living in the southeastern Spanish region of Valencia have forced the local government to drop plans to strip thousands of expatriates of the right to public healthcare, campaigners said on Friday.

Millions of retirees have moved to the Spanish coast in recent years, many lured by property developers' promises of a sunny retirement home overlooking the Mediterranean in resorts like Alicante and Benidorm.

Bill Bridges was a policeman in Kent, England before retiring due to high blood pressure and moved to Spain five years ago, opting for Torrevieja in Valencia region because of a generous local law offering free healthcare.

However recent arrivals have placed such a strain on Valencia's health system that the regional government said earlier this year it would scrap cover for foreigners, even if they hold resident status in Spain.

After protests to the British Embassy in Madrid, consular staff and the region have thrashed out a deal whereby an estimated 3,000 early retirees will continue to receive healthcare for a 'reasonable and affordable' price.

Bridges welcomed the regional government's move, but said questions still remained about its use of free health care to lure sunseeking northern Europeans.

"The Valencian authorities certainly used the health system as an inducement to get us here," he said. "I feel tricked."

Pensioners are covered by the European Union's reciprocal health system, which means the UK picks up the bill for treatment, but the arrangement does not cover early retirees.

A draft directive published by the European Commission on Wednesday would allow patients throughout the EU to travel to other countries for treatment without authorisation from their own health authority. Britain has opposed the proposal.

However Bridges says expats like him have fallen into a healthcare black hole: not entitled to treatment in Spain, nor the UK because he cannot receive a Spanish health card and therefore European health cover.

The British Embassy told early retirees to take out private health cover, said Bridges, however insurers would not give him complete cover because of his health condition.

"What is really wrong is that the UK government have just washed their hands of us," he said.

Nobody at the British Embassy or Valencia's health ministry were available for comment on the agreement which will come into effect in January.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2008 10:36 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I received an email quoting this link, it's from the Daily Telegraph and seems to have updated information which may be of interest

http://tinyurl.com/6fxljl

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hi, I'm new!! - 6 posts
Great photo opportunity tomorrow morning at Alicante airport - 8 posts
Commercial mortgage help required. - 2 posts
bistro red - 8 posts
4 X 4 hire - Murcia - 0 posts
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE BEACH CLUB AT VALLE DEL ESTE IS OPEN AGAIN - 4 posts
Wanted Second Hand Diesel Car - 6 posts
automatic car wanted - 0 posts
MERCEDES SL500 - 0 posts
Deposits paid. OVP Ocean View Properties / Sungolf Desarrollo inmobilliario.sa - 18 posts
Banco De Valencia - 3 posts
good lunch place - 0 posts
Orange.es - 2 posts
Any recommendations for letting agents in Torrevieja? - 2 posts
Licence of First Occupation- What Happens if You Don't Get It? - 10 posts
Restaurant El Toro Steakhouse, CV 951 road to Torremendo, Alicante. - 5 posts
Globespan - 5 posts
Can any EOS member Recommend a Good Car Hire company based at Malaga Airport. - 8 posts
Problems with bank guarantees on Santa Maria Greenhills - 34 posts
Roguey - 0 posts
Anyone see an audience with Neil diamond on ITV ? - 4 posts
Manyana muy bien para mi. - 1 posts
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR SELF EMPLOYED PEOPLE IN SPAIN - 3 posts
Excelente manyana - 2 posts
Please Take Note!!!! This Happened - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x