IKEA furniture pricing in Spain/UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 May 2008 12:00 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar
Hi, we're moving over next month and cant decide whether to buy everything here and ship over or buy in Spain. What with prices for furniture in Spain and the Euro rate, you're getting stung twice so it seems cheaper to buy furniture in the UK and ship it over as I have 10 cubic metres of space in the truck and hardly anthing to fill it with.
My question is - are the IKEA prices the same in the Spain branch as the UK or are they cheaper?

thanks

Like 0      
25 May 2008 11:21 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

They used to be cheaper but not sure how the current poor exchange rates have affected that. It's easy enough to check out the prices on the IKEA Spanish website via the IKEA.com website as the item names are the same in every country.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
25 May 2008 1:28 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Eva, check them out IKEA SPAIN (ENGLISH)

Like 0      
29 Mar 2009 9:31 PM by p11cne Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Hi

I have been doing a lot of research on this matter as I need to furnish a 2 bed 2 bath apartment and Have both UK ikea catalog and the spanish catalog there is a difference in price but after working out the hassel of loading it in the UK and taking into account the petrol and time wasted it would be better off buying your stuff from spain as you will have a warranty and you can take it back without hassel.

However the differance was about £800 pounds between them both with UK being cheaper coz of the exchange rate. But if you want good looking and unique furniture then you need to buy it from UK as the spanish furniture is a bit dated. I hope it helps if you want any more info PM me thanks

Like 0      
21 Apr 2009 9:48 PM by fingaz Star rating in Westmidlands UK. 8 posts Send private message

Hi Eva.

I was asked to deliver some ikea furniture from the UK to Barcelona a couple of weeks ago. The people flew back to the UK to shop for their items and had it shipped to Spain. I dont think it was much to do with the cost but more to do with the waiting time before it was in stock. The way i understand it some items are cheaper from the UK but then you have to pay to have it shipped to Spain. with the overall cost of transport it will probably be cheaper to buy it in Spain.

Ian

Like 0      
11 Jul 2009 6:51 PM by stephieb Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Hi!

I have read that there are companies, ofering a service which enables you to specify what IKEA products you'd like and they will buy them in spain, deliver them and then install/build them as required..........

where can I find such people/comapanies amd does anyone know the sort of cost?

Thank you

Like 0      
13 Jul 2009 6:29 PM by brenjam Star rating in Renfrewshire Scotlan.... 11 posts Send private message

brenjam´s avatar

Hi,

Can I recomend a company Flatpaxabia. They are based in the Costa Blanca and will collect, deliver and build your furniture from IKEA in Murcia. We used them when we were over last month and they were very good, efficient and courteous. They are a British couple and have been operating for a few years now.  

Like 0      
13 Jul 2009 7:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Bit costly http://www.flatpaxabia.com/prices.php 

PLUS there are assembly charges if required

30€ For 1 man for the first hour. 50€ For 2 men.

20€ For 1 man for following hours. 40€ For 2 men.

Billed per 30 minutes.
Minimum callout: 30€

Don't buy a double bed or (God forbid) a sofa, see the estimated assembly times http://www.flatpaxabia.com/assembly.htm

Value of Order (€)

Delivery Cost (€)

0 - 100
101 - 200
201 - 300
301 - 400
401 - 500
501 - 750
751 - 999
1000 - 4000
16.5% of Total Order Value
4000 +
please place your order
and ask for a quote
Please note: There will be a surcharge of 25€ on the
delivery of bulky items such as sofas and mattresses and large white goods.

Payment terms: cash on delivery (cheques not accepted)

This message was last edited by morerosado on 13/07/2009.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2009 8:27 PM by brenjam Star rating in Renfrewshire Scotlan.... 11 posts Send private message

brenjam´s avatar

Yes I do reckon it could be costly. However we were only getting three chairs and putting them together ourselves. As we don't hire a car when we are over we found it very convenient to have them picked up and delivered for us and did not grudge the delivery charges. I placed the order prior to our departure from Scotland and delivery was made  on our specified date to our home on the Costa Blanca.

Like 0      
18 Jul 2009 10:57 AM by hairbear Star rating. 77 posts Send private message

The problem is, Ikea is cheap if you do it all yourself and dont have a value for your own time. If you do value your own time, and patience or you use somebody else to do it the saving is minimal. The other thing to bare in mind is that the furniture is flat pack and often very cheap construction and materials, not really suitable for rental. There are some great deals about at the moment on furniture for much better quality, delivered and installed so shop around. 

Like 0      
18 Jul 2009 4:31 PM by raff Star rating in Belfast. 143 posts Send private message

Hi all,

I have been  watching this thread with interest as I need to furnish a 2 bed apartment complete. Its ok to say 'if you shop around' but surely eye on spain members must know the places to shop and the places to not. Give me addresses and prices.

I have recently priced, from local shops in the uk, all my major requirements and came will a cost of some £2500 and yet examples of people who bought in spain (not furniture packages) range from £7000 to £10,000. Now that to me is a substantial difference. So my questions is:

Is it cheaper to buy in spain? and

If so give me the names and e-mail/addresses of these outlets so that a proper comparison can be made.

(dfs spain along with a number of other major outlets don't give prices. By the way I'm in the Murcia region, but will travel. Assembly  or collection is not a problem)

Come on the question isn't difficult, Is it cheaper to buy in the Uk or Spain. No prefabrications please.

Like 0      
18 Jul 2009 5:50 PM by lytton Star rating in Bath & North East So.... 422 posts Send private message

Hi

Just my half penny's worth. We have just finished furnishing our appartment and have chosen stuff that is both fairly cheap but to suit our needs. We don't intend to rent out but just use it for ourselves and friends we can trust to look after it. This is the big decision maker in my view. Anyway, we got settees, chairs, bedside cabinets and chest of drawers from Ikea. Why...because we liked the designs, the price was right and  we were able to look at the actual goods in the UK and get them ordered and delivered in Spain. The drawers also fit well into the wardrobes giving the extra space in the bedrooms. The bed sheets and duvets were also from Ikea. The only reason is that they were what we wanted and at the right price.

We got our beds delivered from a company based in Spain. Why, because Ikea beds are too big and the company we used were English, the price was right and we got a good deal and the service was good as well. Other bits and pieces we either bought in the UK and brought out in our suitcases or bought in Spain at markets, etc. We still need to buy a few more things but this can be done on our trips to Spain at markets or shops we visit.

In my opinion, don't get too stressed over it, but things that suit your needs and pocket. Then you can sit back and enjoy what you have bought. If you want any info on who we used send me a PM as I don't think I can put people on the forum.

Phil

Like 0      
19 Jul 2009 1:04 AM by raff Star rating in Belfast. 143 posts Send private message

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply.

What I did was make a list of the biggest items, complete beds, fridge freezer, tv, washing machine, dishwasher, leather sofa bed and dining room table and chairs along with kitchenware and microwave etc etc. The cost was approx £2500 so I assume for a further £500 I could fit the apartment with everything, By the way the items priced were not by any means the cheapest I could find, eg the tv was a 32" Sony LCD HD ready and the beds were divans with storage. In fact it was also the quality of the spainsh products I was concerned about. We don't want to be having to replace cheap items, thats both costly in the long run and time consuming.

So even with transport costs of say £1500, it seems to me that unless I can find the same quality items in Spain at the same price then it makes sense to buy in the UK.  Here we know our local shops for furniture and appliances, we know the quality and price, also we can take advantage of the sales to grab a bargain. BUT my question is how does spain compare. One post on EOS stated that 'after shopping around' the exact same Mexican furniture was eventually found at 30% cheaper in a certain store, in another some 800km where travelled in total to furnish the property.

So again my question stands in value for money terms is it better to buy in the Uk Or Spain.

Ps Well done to all that noticed my deliberate spelling mistake, it should have been prevarication not prefabrication.

Like 0      
19 Jul 2009 11:14 AM by elricho Star rating in York. 34 posts Send private message

Raff

If you are thinking of buying electrial appliances in the UK just remeber that once you take them to Spain you loose any guarantee on them, therefore I suggest that buying locally would be a good idea.

Re furniture, Spain as lots of sales on at the moment. I am sure if you telephoned or e mailed shops they would send prices back to you.I purchsed locally and found prices reasonable for the quality of furniture that I got, although the exchange rate was more favourable at the time.

I must say though, Lytton has got the right idea," dont get too stressed", it will all work out right in the end.

Like 0      
19 Jul 2009 11:42 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

If you are buying for the Costa Blanca or Murcia regions please mail me and I will be happy to helpo with ideas but also take a look at my website www.smartshopspain.com as this looks at new and used furniture as options giving you some ideas on prices and suppleirs in the Murcia area

DFS will give you prices if you mail them with a list fo what you are looking for, any supplier here will

Don´t rush to furnish big mistake, put in a couple of beds and a cheap patio set to sit on and then you can take your time to shop around for the besta bargain and remember cash is king in Spain and you can always get a healthy discount from ticket prices so don´t be shy and ask, at least 10% often nearer 30%

People tend to put in too much furniture remember in Spain people make a lot more use of outdoor space and  better investment is good quality outdoor furniture

Remember if you visit IKEA in Murcia then in the commercial centre opposite is a Primark a good cheap source for linen and dress cushions

There are also a few organisations that will, for a small additional charge, deliver items form shops like Argos, Homebase and Next to Spain

Why do people think that things like TV´s and white gooda are cheaper in the UK, fact they are not  if you know where to shop and you don´t get stuck with the warranty issues

Also the power supply here is 210v -220v and things like toasters, iron and kettles are calibrated for this rating

Like 0      
19 Jul 2009 12:19 PM by tech Star rating in Maidstone/Turre when.... 83 posts Send private message

Hi all

interesting thread, remember if you purchase electrical goods in Spain or the rest of Europe you will get a two year warranty on your goods as opposed to a one year warranty if you buy in the UK. I purchased a low price furniture package from Arco, which suited me fine, but I know that when I move to Spain more permanently I will have to replace the sofa and bed. Using Arco was a quick fix and now I have time to look for 'quality furniture' as and when I want to.

Regards.

Tech.

Like 0      
20 Jul 2009 5:13 PM by pam1966spain Star rating in La Tercia- Gea Y Tru.... 56 posts Send private message

With electrical goods the guarantee is with the manufacturer not the shop so it is really important that your key holder speaks Spanish, in case there is a problem as the engineer in unlikely to speak english.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2009 10:09 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I was advised not to spend a lot of money on washing machines etc as they don't last very long due to the hard water deposits.  Only regret was that I didn't spend a little more to get a faster spin, very useful in Winter.

You may get a 2 year warranty but as a holiday visitor when it does stop working then it will probably be out of the guarantee period.

Our dishwasher has gone wrong but as we rarely used it we've decided to buy a tumble dryer instead. 

I noticed that people were talking about beds with storage, I personally I like the idea of the lift up ottoman beds.  But the other thing to consider is that beds with legs are popular in Spain for a reason.  BUGS, you need to be able to sweep and mop to eradicate them.  In six years I've only found one but that was one too many.

If I was setting up home again I would buy everything in Spain, there's more selections now than 6 years ago.   I spent many trips bringing over cases and boxes of items.  The only expensive items are book shelves/wooden items.

All the items I've bought have been delivered and fitted or connected.  Electrical items have been tested to make sure they are connected properly.  Packaging removed an all round excellant service.  In furniture stores, if items are in stock they are delivered either that day or the next.  You can also pick out want you want, pay a small deposit and the balance when it's delivered.  This could be done weeks or months a head.  You can do packages or mix and match.  Most stores also supply electrical packages as well so it's a complete service.

Also check to see if there any second hand stores around.

Like 0      
21 Jul 2009 10:18 AM by pam1966spain Star rating in La Tercia- Gea Y Tru.... 56 posts Send private message

I have just bought a new top loading machine. Had last one for 9 years. I always use Calgon (or Mercadona equivelant). The top loaders I ahve been told have a better balance and also it takes 8kg. It cost 579e but it is all singing all dancing. for info Got it from Master .

Like 0      
21 Jul 2009 1:36 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Pam

Whereabouts are you in Spain, any chance please of you putting your location on your profile ?

I was interested to say ' for info Got it from Master' as, if you are talking of Master Cadenas, their shops all closed just before we went out May !

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spain for Eurovision - 37 posts
LYNX JET, THE FUTURE FOR MALE TRAVEL - 2 posts
House and Pet Sitting - 0 posts
A&J Global Group S.L - 1 posts
Builders/ Developers ? - 0 posts
Spanish countryside experience - 2 posts
hello - 55 posts
Mobile phones - 12 posts
2 bed townhouse wanted in Torrevieja, long term - 7 posts
LOOKING FOR LONG TERM RENTAL IN TORREVIEJA - 0 posts
Moving In - 22 posts
nie address and telephone number - 1 posts
help - 1 posts
Endless internet search on agent ... - 23 posts
Hospitals - 0 posts
Savings account? - 6 posts
spanish lawyer in marbella - 0 posts
Just my take on the current property market... - 82 posts
ANYONE KNOW THE CHEAPEST LONG TERM CAR HIRE NEAR TORREVIEJA - 2 posts
Anyone out there at Fuentemar, Vera Playa - 8 posts
Easyjet £19.99 seats each way including taxes & charges. Go look at details. - 16 posts
Lonely Irish buyers.. - 7 posts
Rixxy's Clubs! - 31 posts
House Music Clubs near Los Narejos - 3 posts
Medsea Properties - 43 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 24

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x