Mobile phones

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 May 2008 12:00 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Hi All

Question for you all

Nearly all my family have mobile phones and want to bring the phones with them and get them onto the Spanish Mobile Network. In the UK and Ireland you can get your phones unlocked and then any sim can be used. Any ideas if this approach would work in spain or is it simpler to just go and buy 4 ready to go phones with sims...?

thanks

Like 0      
24 May 2008 9:50 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
Hi - I had a good phone in the UK which was already unlocked so I just got a spanish SIM card for it.  

I'm with Lebara, which I'm told is good value - pay as you go.  Instructions on the top-up card are in English which is a good help too!

Hope that helps.

Like 0      
24 May 2008 10:44 AM by AJB1 Star rating in Benahavis, Costa del.... 63 posts Send private message

We have just had our phones unlocked and put a Spanish SIM card into the phones we had on contracts in the UK.

No problem at all!

Like 0      
24 May 2008 11:20 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
So where can you get them unlocked...any recommendations?

Like 0      
24 May 2008 11:50 AM by AJB1 Star rating in Benahavis, Costa del.... 63 posts Send private message

My partner was with T-Mobile and he told them he wanted to unlock the phone. They sent him a letter with a code to unlock it. There was a charge - £15 I think.

However most high streets have mobile phone shops that are able to unlock phones both in the UK and in Spain. They usually have a sign on the window saying 'we unlock mobile phones'.

In London there are loads of them, not sure about Ireland though.

I've already spotted some here in Spain - in Marbella, and there was also one in Gibraltar. In Gib they were charging £15 to unlock it.

Just look out for the signs or ask your mobile phone provider.

Like 0      
24 May 2008 12:48 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi pknott, there's loads of info on this on the forum. Been discussed endlessly (somewhere )

We knew zilch a few years ago when we needed communication in Spain (learnt a helluva lot since) so we just HAD to go to a Movistar shop in our local town & pay 25€ to have our UK mobile unblocked then we paid 24€ to have a Spanish SIM card with around 18€ credit. Quite a dent in our first £50's worth of euros !

If I was doing it now, knowing what I know now I would not do the same. I'd buy a Spanish mobile. You can pick them up very cheaply. A Spanish mobile has a Spanish SIM card already fitted, of course, so it's cheap.

However if you want to unblock your own mobile & some cannot be unblocked BTW, look at this site as unblocking is free !

http://trycktill.com/eng/default.asp

This message was last edited by morerosado on 5/24/2008.

Like 0      
25 May 2008 6:23 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I bought my first Spanish mobile phone about 4 years ago from Carrefour 70e and if I topped it up with 25e before a certain date they credited me with another 25e.

Last year I bought a smaller phone for 34e with 12 euros of credit also from Carrefour.

I use Moviestar as they have a good reception in most areas.

Like 0      
27 May 2008 4:37 PM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
When I moved out here, I contacted O2 and they unlocked my Irish mobile for me. As lock as it's unlocked there won't be any problems using it with a Spanish sim.

Like 0      
27 May 2008 5:20 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
It's a lot more expensive though, jfj, to have your UK mobile unlocked (often at £15 - £25)  then purchase a Spanish SIM (rather than buy a new Spanish mobile). I guess if you have a love affair with your UK mobile you'll take that route.  If you want to throw money away it's the way to go. 

Buy a new Spanish mobile & keep it topped up with the minimum credit, which with Movistar is only 5€ every 6 months.

Like 0      
27 May 2008 5:25 PM by jfj Star rating in Vera, Almería. 142 posts Send private message

jfj´s avatar
At the time O2 didn't actually charge me for unlocking it!

Like 0      
30 May 2008 9:24 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I've just received a message from another forum which may be of interest to people who live permanently in Spain.

YOIGO do 10c SMS to UK but you need to spend a min of 6e a month, they have the same coverage as Moviestar who charge 7 times more for the priviledge.

Never heard of them before this and as a non resident it wouldn't be suitable for me.

Someone has replied that there are at least two more companies that can be found in the local freebies who can provide even cheaper calls etc without the min spend.  

May be worth looking at the on-line freebies to see if you can find the adverts.

Like 0      
30 May 2008 1:26 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
INFO ON YOIGO It's a Spanish site but translated into English in my link. Click on blue. 

Hi Semi, nice here today, hubby out with his new toy, a Karcher power washer with patio cleaning attachment which is whizzing through the cleaning, unbelievable.

Like 0      
30 May 2008 5:59 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Well it didn't rain in London today, I came downstairs with every intention of tackling the jobs I've been putting off and found the postman had delivered season 4 of Medium.

The joys of retirement, feet up with a cup of tea Heaven!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

2 bed townhouse wanted in Torrevieja, long term - 7 posts
LOOKING FOR LONG TERM RENTAL IN TORREVIEJA - 0 posts
Moving In - 22 posts
nie address and telephone number - 1 posts
help - 1 posts
Endless internet search on agent ... - 23 posts
Hospitals - 0 posts
Savings account? - 6 posts
spanish lawyer in marbella - 0 posts
Just my take on the current property market... - 82 posts
ANYONE KNOW THE CHEAPEST LONG TERM CAR HIRE NEAR TORREVIEJA - 2 posts
Anyone out there at Fuentemar, Vera Playa - 8 posts
Easyjet £19.99 seats each way including taxes & charges. Go look at details. - 16 posts
Lonely Irish buyers.. - 7 posts
Rixxy's Clubs! - 31 posts
House Music Clubs near Los Narejos - 3 posts
Medsea Properties - 43 posts
completion - 6 posts
UK MAILING ADDRESSES? >>WARNING>> DONT USE MY-UK-MAIL.CO.UK - 11 posts
atlas international and iberian international clients - 2 posts
Denby Green Wheat Dinner Service - 1 posts
Eye on Spain looks rubbish... - 28 posts
Have I a video for you HERE ? Spare pair of undies needed. - 13 posts
New Rules for Renting? - 11 posts
Roda Golf Apartment wanted for rental - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x