Rixxy's Clubs!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 May 2008 12:00 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Hi All - I thought the title would entice you in!

A few of you have pm'd me recently wondering why I have been a little quiet on the site, so I thought I would share all my news with you.

The auction house is still running and has been quite busy last week and this with buyers - nice to see them. 

Last year, as some of you will know, I had a pretty stressful time both professionally and personally. The stress caused me to develop a breast lump and cancerous cells near the cervix (google it if you must know!). This was confirmed at the end of january.

This as you can imagine caused me to get rather upset and the docs told me I should be resting and taking it easy with no stress to enable my immune system to get stronger!

Well thats ok if you can but as I have kids to feed, bills to pay and no financial help from anywhere, its pretty much impossible!

However, it did make me look at what I was doing and 12-14 hour days which I have done for many years, really isnt worth the risk!

I had to have loads of tests etc and I must say the medical profession here is spot on! However, the last one didnt give me any information and it was only due to the person in the room with me who was able to describe what was going on, that I could find out more on the internet!

Nothing will happen until the next test session in July!

Anyway, it got me thinking - there are many of us expats or english speakers who are out here and have no information. On the day I was so shell shocked, I wasnt able to ask questions - needless to say I have a hundred of them afterwards. In fact, so bad was I that until I had someone look at the notes I was given, did I realize that I had a lump as well! And me having been here 13 years!

Also over the years I have struggled with my weight and one of the things I found helpful was going to weight classes.

So - a slight change of direction and I am pleased to announce (with the kind approval of Justin) weight management and wellness clubs. I am setting these up initially from Estepona to Calahonda where members can come along, be weighed if they wish, try samples of foods and products and have an informative chat on all health aspects. Occasionally professionals from the wellness industry will be present to tell members what they do and how they can help. Competitions, rafles and all sorts will be going on as well - main idea is to share information and have a bit of a social time.

The first one launches next tuesday the 27th may in Estepona, near the port with cava so if you want to come along and support, that would be great. 

The clubs will be held weekly in the evenings so I will still be auctioning properties as well!

PM me if you want more info or map etc, other than that I look forward to seeing some of you there!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
22 May 2008 6:43 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Rixxy, that's great, the clubs I mean, not the lump!!

I am the chairperson of a Unisex Slimming and Recreation club which meets on a Friday morning. We focus on healthy eating, support and fun. We only charge a small weekly fee and give this back to members via subsidised outings and various prizes for weekly competitions. We too have people come in to chat, such as an aerobics teacher and nutritionalists.

We focus on support and healthy eating and NOT fad diets etc. We hold 'tastings' where members bring in home cooked low fat/calorie foods and tell the other members how to make them.
WE are a lively group and love a good knees up!! We also support the 'Butterfly' charity and have held bring and buy sales to raise money for these deserving people.

Good luck with your health and keep us in touch with what's happening.                

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
22 May 2008 7:56 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar
Hi Rixxy

Good luck with your new clubs. I am sure that they will be great fun!!

I hope that your health problems are resolved quickly. I am sure that with your positive approach you will conquer.

Kind Regards

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
22 May 2008 10:07 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
wow, Rixxy, I hope everyting health-wise goes well.   Please keep us updated.

The wellness clubs sounds like a great idea.  I wish you much success with it.  If you need any speakers then let me know as I am good on advising where to get the best cakes and which chocolote biscuits make you feel the best.

Is that the sort of thing you need??

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
23 May 2008 10:28 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Good Luck  in your new venture Rixxy. I really hope your health is OK. NOTHING is more important.

Tish.

Like 0      
23 May 2008 1:12 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Thanks for the support guys! I must admit Im looking forward to a new challenge and in an industry thats about to boom!

We wont be doing fad diets - Ive tried them all from soups to starvation to amphetamines! Always the weight went back on! No substitute for proper nutrition, although food itself nowadays doesnt give everything the body needs, so it is a daily challenge.

And amazing that people make sure their cars have the right fuel, have them serviced regularly, ITV'd and insured, yet dont bother about themselves as much!

Since Ive been studying it and gaining info, its incredible! Did you know the International Obesity Society did a survey in 27 countries amonsgt children. Of the girls Portugese girls where the most obese 34.5%, english 4th with 29.3% too heavy for their height, in the boys, Spanish boys topped the cahrt!!!. Here a few weeks ago in Murcia a 5 year old bot died from being too heavy. He should have weighed 24-28kilos, he was 50. Incredible.

Anyway, healthwise I shall keep you all updated - its amazing since I opened up and talked to others, how many have been touched in some way by the big C.

Im exercising - powerwalking in the mornings with Charlie (the dog) and trying to use hand weights, but Charlie thinks its a great game to see if he can snatch them out of my hands! So a double challenge!

Oh and Justin - I know where all the usual choccy bars are BUT I have found lovely ones only 139 calories each and with 10g of protein in, so they fill you up too - protein is the main component of most body cells and its the mistake many make when dieting, they look to the calories and lose the protein, so you feel hungry and scoff!

Have a great weekend guys, see you soon.

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
23 May 2008 5:08 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Rixxy

so sorry to hear about the lump. Best of luck with that.

as for your clubs, sounds good, (even if an advert, cheeky girl).  I would recommend running to drop a few pounds, but it needs to be consistant, and at a pace you can sustain. I lost well over a stone training for my first half marathon. Many people will say 'oh i can't run, i've got bad knees', or 'i'm just not built for it'......in reality most people can, if they start very slowly for short distances, and build the distance by no more than 10% a week maximum.

On top of weight loss, it's very good for stress, and relaxation,supurb for your heart/lungs, and firms things up a fair bit. My weight is still going down slowly, and as long as i run about 3 times a week, i can eat/drink pretty much what i like (apart from to much choccie/fast food) without putting the pounds back on.

Like 0      
23 May 2008 5:36 PM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

You make it all sound so easy goodstitch!!

Like 0      
23 May 2008 6:02 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
I have just realised, Rixxy, that my post earlier may be interpreted as me trying to take over your post or saying 'look at me..I do that too'.
What I was really trying to put over was what a GREAT idea yours is and my involvement in the same area.............in fact till I realised where you are, I was going to ask if you fancied giving our club a chat!!
Sorry if any of it came over wrongly, and I DO wish you all the best, with the clubs and more importantly, your health.   xxx  

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
25 May 2008 10:49 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Tish

i think if you set yourself an achievable goal (bit like trying to get your money back from sharks!!) and stick to it, without beating yourself up, or giving up on the bad days, then the end result is an amazing feeling of well being.

I'm not a 'running machine' by any means, i'm 5' 8'' and 13 stone to start with, so dragging a fair weight round, but crossing the line in this years London marathon, 31 mins faster than my only other marathon in 2006, was 2nd only in my lifes greatest moments, to watching my kids being born.  The other benefits from long distance running, weight loss, change of shape stronger heart/lungs/bones/legs
back, and stamina, are all a bonus.

Like 0      
25 May 2008 9:16 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

The very best of luck with your new venture Rixxy and of course your health.

Like 0      
25 May 2008 9:26 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Good luck with your new venture and hope your succssesful, good luck with your health and  hope all goes well.

Maureen & Dennis

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
26 May 2008 1:44 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Rixxy, I wish you all the best. I'm sure it's a worrying time for you.

Like 0      
26 May 2008 10:22 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hi Folks - well had a rather relaxing quiet weekend for a change!

Karen - didnt think anything of the sort and its great to hear others are doing similar. You never know - I may be able to come up your way sometime and would love to strut my stuff at some time in the future!

Goodstitch - Im not into running - I tried but Im afraid I do find it boring. I started going to the gym over 2 years ago but from the events of last year I got out of the habit. Im building up again slowly - powerwalking with the dog followed by gentle weights and sits ups - that sort of thing which can be done at home.

Thank you everyone for your kind words - ive worked out if I ignore it, it probably wont go away, but it will stop stressing me out and worrying me.

Now back to work!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
26 May 2008 6:04 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Rixxy

just my opinion, nothing could be less boring than crossing the line in a half or full marathon!  The feeling of achievment is incredible. But you need guts to stick with the training. If you get bored, you're not doing it right. (The dreaded gym, and the even worse the running machine/treadmill (dreadmill,) now that's really boring to me and expensive!, though i realise used by many runners/walkers, so each to his/her own)

If you run outside, you have constant changing scenery, sociable meetings with other runners/walkers/dogs! (if you're a sociable person) and fresh air, plus all the other advantages of being fit, and it's all free, apart from a decent pair of running shoes.  Even better, join a running club, and get support from the word go.

Why on earth to people go on horrible diets, take pills, go to expensive sweaty boring gyms etc, when all you need to do is get out there and jog/run.  It's so simple, calories in verses calories used to lose weight and feel so much better, and you can build it around your day.

Like 0      
26 May 2008 6:18 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Well Done Rixxy,
Sounds like a great idea or there's always botox and liposuction .

Seriously, it's nice to hear from you and wish you well with your health. 
Gina xx

Like 0      
26 May 2008 6:32 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Or the hoover - I have considered that as well...................................!

I love looking at the changing scenery - from the car!!! Seriously I tried running years ago and just wasnt for me. I love the eliptic machine the one where you are skimming the floor. I can go for miles on that while listening to music or watching a dvd.
Well, I will be able to soon when I get one.............!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
26 May 2008 10:30 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Rixxy

fair enough, if people just drink lots of water, eat lots of fruit, cut down on the sweets  bic's and cakes, and and do something to get the heart working hard for half an hour a day, (and join any good classes if they need it of course) that's good enough to stop the pounds piling on. Any exercise is good, it's just that when i'm running or cycling in the cold or rain, i often think, wow, how much nicer to have Spains climate for doing this. 

Why on earth would anyone want to be indoors with headphones and music in their ears, when they could be outside in a lovely temperature listening to nature while exercising, so peaceful and relaxing.

........i know really, it takes all sorts.

good luck with your health issues and the classes.

Like 0      
27 May 2008 11:41 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

No I agree with you Goodstitch. I would prefer cycling, but the dog gets tangled up in the chain!! He hasnt got the hang of it yet! SO we power walk for 20 mins - running makes him think its a wonderful game and trips me up.

I did do a mini marathon many years ago and used to love cross country when I was younger but it can get a bit painful in certian areas - gravity and all that!!

You would love running out here - many go along the beaches early morning - looks so peaceful

Have a great day - Im off to the dark side to see whats been said today!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
18 Jul 2008 5:33 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Where is Rixxy ?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

House Music Clubs near Los Narejos - 3 posts
Medsea Properties - 43 posts
completion - 6 posts
UK MAILING ADDRESSES? >>WARNING>> DONT USE MY-UK-MAIL.CO.UK - 11 posts
atlas international and iberian international clients - 2 posts
Denby Green Wheat Dinner Service - 1 posts
Eye on Spain looks rubbish... - 28 posts
Have I a video for you HERE ? Spare pair of undies needed. - 13 posts
New Rules for Renting? - 11 posts
Roda Golf Apartment wanted for rental - 3 posts
Insuring a Spanish Caravan - 3 posts
Child Protection URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!! - 12 posts
Potty Paula Whitely Pilar De La Horada - 0 posts
IADJ tax refund - 0 posts
Comunidad corruption problems - 17 posts
A VERY SAD AND SORRY STORY - 0 posts
TOLDO/SUN AWNING - 1 posts
TDT Transmitter Location - 3 posts
Reposessions How long does it take? - 4 posts
Question - about experiences - 0 posts
Good morning everyone! - 8 posts
Just trying out my Avatar - 3 posts
New free directory - 5 posts
transfers from alicante to guardamar - 1 posts
Kitchen 4 Sale - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 32

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x