Savings account?

Currency exchange Spain
Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 May 2008 12:00 AM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi all,
Can anyone sugest a savings account, that can be managed on-line. With a competetive rate of interest, and don't mind if you live in Spain?
We can't keep our savings where they are now as they don't allow non UK residents.
Regards, Febe

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
23 May 2008 3:19 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
ING have branches Worldwide, they normally have good rates. Santander (Abbey in the UK) also have online facilities as have Banco Halifax (you can open the account in the UK too). We are opening an account with Barclays to run alongside our current account that pays 3.5% with no minimum.

Mark

Like 0      
23 May 2008 3:27 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Mark, Ing do not permit residents of Spain to have a savings account see this clause from ING'S T&C HERE & anyway, I don't believe you can manage your account online as I'm an Ing saver.  Actually ICICI is good for me with me being a UK resident  but that wasn't what was asked by Febe.

A4 Eligible customers

Our savings accounts are available to people aged 18 or over who are 'ordinarily resident' in the UK,

not including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man (that is, people who are considered to live in

the UK for tax purposes) and have a permanent UK address. To open an account you must have a

personal UK bank or building society current account with a chequebook and Direct Debit facility.

Our savings accounts are not available for trusts, businesses or charities. If you stop being eligible for

the account, we may close it. (See Condition A12)

Just Googled this though so any use, Febe, though I guess not managed online !!

http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/2007/03/08/ing-direct-offering-10-apy-promotion-in-spain/

This message was last edited by morerosado on 5/23/2008.

Like 0      
23 May 2008 3:31 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
That would be ING in the UK though. ING are Worldwide, see http://www.ing.es/ing_direct.htm. Febe didn't say it had to be a bank based in the UK, just that they didn't have to mind you living in Spain and could be managed online.

Mark

Like 0      
23 May 2008 3:35 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Mark, I edited as you were posting so see right at the bottom of my post please.

Whoops, it was posted on that site on Thursday, March 8th, 2007 !!!!!!  

Take no notice of me.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 5/23/2008.

Like 0      
23 May 2008 3:52 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
It depends what you are looking for I suppose? If it is token interest on your day to day bank account bits and pieces, Halifax would probably be better as they pay interest on credit balances don't they? If it is serious savings though, i'm not really sure. Are you classed as Spanish resident Febe? I believe I saw somewhere that some of the accounts not available from UK banks to non residents can be accessed via Gibraltar or the Chanel Islands. Don't quote me on that though as I can't find it .

Mark

Like 0      
23 May 2008 6:03 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi and thanks,
It's a mine field out there!
No it dosen't have to be UK based, it's just that the UK pay higher interest rates (as a rule) but if we can't use those accounts, then we'll have to look else where. But where?
We don't have residencia (spelling?), we do however have a child in the local school, are registered with the healthcare and have empadronamiento (spelling again, but you know what I mean!).  So yes, we are concidered resident.
And , yes, this is serious savings I'm talking about. Not enough to retire on sadly! 
We also need access to it from time to time, though we try not to dip into it.
What have others done with their savings?
Regards, Febe

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

spanish lawyer in marbella - 0 posts
Just my take on the current property market... - 82 posts
ANYONE KNOW THE CHEAPEST LONG TERM CAR HIRE NEAR TORREVIEJA - 2 posts
Anyone out there at Fuentemar, Vera Playa - 8 posts
Easyjet £19.99 seats each way including taxes & charges. Go look at details. - 16 posts
Lonely Irish buyers.. - 7 posts
Rixxy's Clubs! - 31 posts
House Music Clubs near Los Narejos - 3 posts
Medsea Properties - 43 posts
completion - 6 posts
UK MAILING ADDRESSES? >>WARNING>> DONT USE MY-UK-MAIL.CO.UK - 11 posts
atlas international and iberian international clients - 2 posts
Denby Green Wheat Dinner Service - 1 posts
Eye on Spain looks rubbish... - 28 posts
Have I a video for you HERE ? Spare pair of undies needed. - 13 posts
New Rules for Renting? - 11 posts
Roda Golf Apartment wanted for rental - 3 posts
Insuring a Spanish Caravan - 3 posts
Child Protection URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!! - 12 posts
Potty Paula Whitely Pilar De La Horada - 0 posts
IADJ tax refund - 0 posts
Comunidad corruption problems - 17 posts
A VERY SAD AND SORRY STORY - 0 posts
TOLDO/SUN AWNING - 1 posts
TDT Transmitter Location - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x