Salespersons have rights

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 May 2008 12:00 AM by Robert H Star rating in Marbella. 63 posts Send private message

This might be of interest to all those who work as 'self employed' in the real estate industry:

As from last September, the labour statutes have changed in favor of those who work full time for a company but are self employed. Often, foreign agents working in Spain are not aware of their new rights that now protect them.

If you depend on more than 75% of your income from one single source, and are 'employed' for longer than six months by that company, you are treated as a fixed employee, and enjoy similar rights as a full time employee on a fixed labour contract. So you can not be sacked willy nilly, and can claim 'finicito' payments from the company. It also means that any 'contract' you have signed with the company is not legally binding if it differs from the labour statutes, even if you signed it.

This law applies to all 'Autonomos Dependientes' in Spain.

Of course it is important to use an independant labour lawyer if you have any questions.

R H

Marbella

This message was last edited by Robert H on 5/17/2008.

Like 0      
02 Jul 2008 9:13 PM by RG Star rating. 299 posts Send private message

Hi, please excuse my ignorance but what is finicito payments?

Like 0      
02 Jul 2008 10:59 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
i was very interested to see how this law would effect the job front when it was introduced,it means many of the larger REA will not be able to hire and fire as they used to.
I think Robert was talking about the Spanish equivalent of redundancy payment,if on contract, dismissal is quite hard without the company being held financially responsable,what the new law is trying to do is bring the self employed onto a level playing field with contracted workers.

Like 0      
02 Jul 2008 11:34 PM by RG Star rating. 299 posts Send private message

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up.

Like 0      
04 Jul 2008 2:55 PM by Robert H Star rating in Marbella. 63 posts Send private message

Finiquito payments are calculated as follows:

Outstanding holidays (30 natural days per year). If you have not had holidays say in 2007, then these do not add up to 2008. However, they will be have to paid when you leave the company.

When one is asked to leave the company, (despidido improcedente) there are further payments. The first thing you do in this case is get a gestor laboral (labour lawyer) to help you get everything settled. This includes a payment from the company through the courts, as well as any owed wages, holiday payments, and 45 days for every year worked. In the case of sales people, any commissions still owed needs to be recorded as a claim through the courts. The prod¡cedures are quite simple, and quick compaired to ususal civil court cases. (The courts dealing with these matters are different, called Tribunales Laborales) If you do get fired, do not sign anything, but always ask for your dismissal in writing, and have always ample proof of 'employment' at hand. (Letters, emails, bills, visiting cards, etc.)

Like 0      
24 Jul 2008 10:27 AM by beachboybarry Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi like many others i was told by my company that they no longer want me after two years due to me asking about commisions not paid ...they refuse to send me a letter stating im finished and HR no longer respond to my emails they still owe me commision. who do i contact and how do i prove they sacked me when they will not respond also they have left me broke so how can i pay for a lawyer?

Like 0      
24 Jul 2008 1:31 PM by Robert H Star rating in Marbella. 63 posts Send private message

Hi BeachboyBarry,

You need a labour lawyer, which you might be able to get through UPTA, the union representing dependent self employed people in Spain, which is a branch of the huge UGT union. You need proof that you worked there, usually your factura's and some letters and business cards will suffice. Emails demanding you commissions will be usefull too. There are many cases where lawyers dealing with these types of cases work pro forma, you pay their fee when you win. In the mean time, These cases also may involve an investigation on behalf of the Seguridad Social of the company involved, which can be very costly to them. I read earlier that you worked in company well known for its very modest and humble owner, so you should be able to get more discrunted colleagues together and present a larger case. It just makes it more stronger for a lawyer and you.

This message was last edited by Robert H on 7/24/2008.

Like 0      
25 Jul 2008 8:28 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Just  in case you are in Andalucia: http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/costaluz/319/ugt-and-ccoo-addresses-in-andalucia.aspx
Please let me know if you are not and where you are instead.
Best,
Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
26 Jul 2008 7:38 PM by beachboybarry Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

yes im in andalucia is there any one else in the same boat with mri?

Like 0      
27 Jul 2008 8:28 PM by Robert H Star rating in Marbella. 63 posts Send private message

Hi, if you worked for two years in MRI, you must have some contacts of people in the same boat. Often you find with these larger companies that they will try and browbeat people into not taking actions with threats that they will never find work again etc. Not only is this practice illegal, it is also hot air from companies who think they are above the law and have a right to do anything they want. I have so far met nobody who left, sued, and is not working again.

Like 0      
28 Jul 2008 10:33 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Oh yes!

And Labour Judges are communly inclined to apply Law more in favour of workers in Spain...

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
28 Aug 2008 3:25 AM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar
Before repeating myself  ad-infinutum - see my earlier post on 'Employees' thread. 

In hindsight, I wish I had had the energy to follow through with the offer of a very reasonable fee/commission from the laboral abogada that I went to see.  (She only wanted 10% of what she finally won!)... 
But sometimes one has to weight up the pros & cons.  

It is so maddening that we all have to learn the rules the hard way and to stand up for our rights. I know there are a high number who will take the pee out of the system - but for the hardworking, loyal, employee it gets your goat to know the employers are trying to pull a fast one.  (I have heard it is esp bad in the real estate business - Hence me never going near it!).  

But if you have the energy - anyone who comes up against bad business practice/unprofessionalism - then DO take action if you have the energy!

Regards to all,
Susan 

Like 0      
16 Nov 2009 4:21 PM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

Heard the name MRI mentioned once or twice - I know 3 sales agents who have tried to sue them - of which one succeeded. It is always difficult in Spain with these matters - find yourself a good lawyer and know your costs beforehand.

Paul

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

www.facebook.com/televisiontechnology

Like 0      
12 Dec 2009 8:07 AM by didlydoo Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

I was a salesman and i nevea had any rights lol

Like 0      
19 Oct 2010 12:41 PM by MrSteven Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Yeah, salesman really need to have rights. everyone must know/have there rights.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Just in case anyone has missed this - 0 posts
Require: Long Term Rental 30 minute drive max from Torrevieja 6 months poss 12. - 6 posts
Robert and Julie Haworth - 15 posts
Moving to Las Kalendas - 2 posts
Moving to Las Kalendas - 0 posts
anyone buying on R19? - 18 posts
Water Bills - How much should you really pay?? - 7 posts
Restaurants in Aguilas town - 9 posts
New guy would like some help. - 11 posts
Holidays - 4 posts
Sofa and Sofa Bed - 0 posts
CARS - BUY IN UK OR SPAIN?? - 20 posts
Jumilla - 2 posts
villa@La campaneta county of Orihuela - 2 posts
R2 - Plots 123-197 - 23 posts
Bahia del Golf - Almerimar - looking at buying - 4 posts
20kg hold luggage weight - 26 posts
Help with capital gains tax - 2 posts
Caravan - 10 posts
attention all owners - 0 posts
kids activities / groups / out of school clubs/ football coaching in costa del sol ?? - 3 posts
Has anyone any completionnews at all? - 2 posts
La Vizcaronda, Duquesa, Manilva - 19 posts
Karen & Terry Beattie - 2 posts
San Jose into liquidation. - 362 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x