CARS - BUY IN UK OR SPAIN??

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 May 2008 12:00 AM by sarah&john Star rating in Estepona, Spain. 50 posts Send private message

Hi,

We were just thinking.......

When we move over (Estepona/Duquesa area) we want a sort of people carrier (just a Vauxhall 7 seater or something) so when our parents come and visit we can all go out together.

So do we buy in the UK (we want new or 1-2 years old) and have it changed to left hand drive, shipped over and then Spanish plates or buy in Spain? Which would be the cheapest way?

We have heard second hand cars are really expensive there ?

Thanks again.

Like 0      
16 May 2008 4:39 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Second hand cars are expensive in Spain.

One of the things to consider is actually to buy a car in Gibraltar and import it into Spain.  With the current exchange rate you can actually save quite a bit of money.

A friend of mine runs a business who does this for people:

Personal Car Shopper

Have a chat with him and see what he suggests.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
16 May 2008 4:56 PM by sarah&john Star rating in Estepona, Spain. 50 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Justin, we will give him a call once we know when we are coming over.

Like 0      
16 May 2008 5:09 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Changed to left-hand drive???? Easy for motorbikes - not so easy with cars, methinks!!

There are dedicated LHD dealers in the UK, so you could buy from one of those, and I can see Justin's point about the ex-rate - but make sure you investigate fully the hassle and cost of re-registering a car here. Search the forum, there have been discussions about this before. Personally, I would not advise it - and certainly wouldn't recommend bringing a right hooker if you're planning on staying.

If you want to buy new, you can find out all you need to know by looking at manufacturers websites, and main dealers, certainly in the area you're heading, will have English speaking staff, so the buying process should be simple enough.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 May 2008 5:14 PM by sarah&john Star rating in Estepona, Spain. 50 posts Send private message

Thanks, Just on the Opel (vauxhall) website in Spain now and I am having difficulty understanding it!!  They don't seem to give a price so when we are over I think we will have to pop into one and have a chat with them. We are looking at living in the Estepona/Duquesa area so probably Malaga will be the nearest?? Will check out Gib too and see about that.

Ohhhhhh so much stress!!!!

Like 0      
16 May 2008 5:26 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The stress is the very reason I would advise against bringing a car over from Blighty! A lot of people do it. I've done it, but wouldn't bother again.

Yes, the Opel website is rubbish. It's the first manufacturer's website I've seen with no prices. A quick Google found Opel dealers in Marbella and Estepona - probably others near you, I don't know that area well.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 May 2008 5:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

This might help give you some idea of comparison UK/Spain.

I'm not a big fan of Renaults (and especially not their most famous driver!!) but their website is a breeze. Bear in mind models can vary in name and spec slightly, but the entry level Grand Scenic 1.9 diesel 7 seater is £19,805 in the UK, €24,250 in Spain. Not much in it at current ex-rate then, but I suppose there could be some gain to make by importing.

There's a Renault dealer in Estepona

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 May 2008 6:51 PM by RG Star rating. 299 posts Send private message

For convenience and peace of mind I think it would be better to buy in Spain then you don't have to worry about changing the registrations over or being legal with a foreign plated car etc. Try looking on www.autoscout24.es here you can search for brand new and second hand cars. You need to know a few words in Spanish but it is fairly self explanatory. I have found two left hand drive cars from this site over the past year. One from Germany and another very very recently right here in Spain. The one I found in Spain surprised me as I found it at a main dealer (not some back street garage) in mint condition, 1 private owner low miles and at a price which was actually a little less the then what an equivalent car would have cost me in the UK (and a lot less then what it generally costs in Spain). The dealer even included 1 years warranty, transfer costs, new ITV (like the MOT in UK), and a years road tax! Proof that bargains are possible even in Spain. The site also lets you search for brand new cars, some from brokers but often from main dealers I was surprised how cheap you can pick up certain cars when compared to cost of the same model new in the UK but it really does depend on the exact make and model that you are after.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2011 12:37 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Bearing in mind the following;

a) I sadly only get to spend about 5 weeks a year in Spain (totalling say 3 trips)

b) I have underground (out of sight ) parking

I am considering simply driving over a UK left hand drive car and leaving it.

I understand that I would need it to have a current mot and insurance each year-can I have opinions please?

The car ideally would be something like a focus estate worth about £4k ie easy to service iinexpensive for parts etc

Nobody plans to fail, many fail to plan, sadly the result is the same.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2011 2:09 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Advisor

I can't understand why you want to buy a cheap UK car to leave here when you can buy a cheap Spanish one that will give you less grief driving it around with the police etc. (also toll booths are a nightmare when you are on your own in a RHD car) just one example.

If you bought over a UK car you would have to take it back every year for the MOT, a Spanish ITV (MOT) won't be legal. Without the MOT you can't get your road tax and without both of these I would guess that any insurance you had would be void.

After saying that its also against the law to keep a UK car here for more than 3 months without changing the registration although many have in the past the traffico are now starting to clamp down.

I couldn't do with the constant worry.

Have a look a this beauty, using your example ie 4k ford focus estate

http://www.segundamano.es/sevilla/ford-focus-16-trend-wagon-5p/a23487187/?ca=29_s&st=a&c=4

Lot of car for the money 06, high miles but as you said parts are cheap

s

Edited to say, missed in your post that you we proposing to bring a uk LHD to Spain - The rest of my post holds true though.

This message was last edited by Team GB on 05/01/2011.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2011 3:36 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Team GB

thank you for your response, I have always been led to belive it is a nightmare purchasing and registering a car in Spain.

Do you know what has to be done and what the average annual costs are?

tia

Like 0      
05 Jan 2011 5:17 PM by RG Star rating. 299 posts Send private message

Tia, It's no more difficult then buying anywhere else. If you buy from a dealer they will they care of the paperwork for you, if you buy privately then you would be better of giving the paperwork to a jestor to do. Either way if you are not mechanically minded then you may want to get the car looked at by a mechanic or someone who knows what they are doing before you buy. In terms of annual running costs apart from fuel, insurance you need to pay the road tax which is payable at your town hall and varies in price from one town to another. For a Focus I would estimate around €80.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2011 7:01 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

As RG says, it's only a nightmare because it's unfamiliar, so use a gestor (rather than a jester!) or buy from a reputable dealer.

Slightly more than your intended budget, but I did a quick search and found this: http://www.yellowcar.com/coche.php?coche=163&idioma=en&cat=23&pag=1&order=modelo which I thought may suit you. May have high mileage, being an ex-renatal, but probably properly maintained and has 1 year warranty too. Check about frequency of ITV (MoT) with ex-rentals though - I have a feeling they have to be done every 6 months, even after passing into private ownership, but am not really sure about that.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
05 Jan 2011 7:06 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

thank you

so annual requirements same or similar to UK

ie: annual road tax

annual mot?

any known sources for insurance as ideally

a)it is only used 5 weeks per year (any do it based on limited mileage?)

but realistically would like any driver over the age of 21? 25?

Like 0      
05 Jan 2011 7:17 PM by RG Star rating. 299 posts Send private message

Yes that's what I meant gestor .... typo! For insurance try Linea Directa (Spanish subsidiary of Direct Line) or Ibex or Liberty Seguros. All of whom have policies in English the later two are available through most brokers. I don't think there are specific policies in Spain for limited mileage or modern classics cars as they do in the UK.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2011 7:32 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

First Mot (ITV) is at 4 years old, then every two years, and every year after 10 years old. For rental cars, the first test is at two years, then annual until 5 years, after which it is every 6 months. I have heard that ex-rentals have to be tested every 6 onths for ever after - but do not know if there is any truth to that.

Annual tax depends on the car and town hall, but as RG said, €80 for a Focus is ball park.

Most insurance policies cover any driver over 25. Over 21, probably cost a lot more. I use Linea Directa, I do only about 5,000 kms a year but I don't get any allowance for that. Just a guesstimate, but I would think a couple of hundred euros will buy you basic cover for a Focus. 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Jan 2011 10:07 AM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

Invaluable help

thank you gents

Like 0      
20 Jan 2011 9:05 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

heard that ex-rentals have to be tested every 6 onths for ever after - but do not know if there is any truth to that.

I bought an ex rental, after it had been transferred into my name, the company had it ITV'd for me and it reverted back to 2 year renewal.

Like 0      
20 Jan 2011 9:36 PM by advisor Star rating in London most of the t.... 311 posts Send private message

any websites for dealers in the Manilva area-or say 15km either way?

Like 0      
20 Jan 2011 10:57 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Gordon Robertson has been around a long long time, advertises every week in the Sur. Don't know anything about his reputation, but he brought a car all the way up to Torremolinos once for me to see; didn't buy it because he wouldn't take mine as p/x - said it wasn't good enough, he only handles top notch condition cars! Seemed like a genuinely decent guy. Based Marbella, but if that's too far for you, I presume he´ll come to you. http://www.robertsoncars-spain.com/index.asp The first car on his listing here is a Focus for 3,500 euros - not a wagon, but looks like a good deal. 

SemiJ - thanks for the info, good to know from someone who's done it - much better than hearsay!

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Jumilla - 2 posts
villa@La campaneta county of Orihuela - 2 posts
R2 - Plots 123-197 - 23 posts
Bahia del Golf - Almerimar - looking at buying - 4 posts
20kg hold luggage weight - 26 posts
Help with capital gains tax - 2 posts
Caravan - 10 posts
attention all owners - 0 posts
kids activities / groups / out of school clubs/ football coaching in costa del sol ?? - 3 posts
Has anyone any completionnews at all? - 2 posts
La Vizcaronda, Duquesa, Manilva - 19 posts
Karen & Terry Beattie - 2 posts
San Jose into liquidation. - 362 posts
La Nueva Ermita - 0 posts
HELLDORADO - 3 posts
A question on how to advertised a property rental. - 2 posts
cheap car hire - 34 posts
Elegance Dona Julia - 3 posts
Emailing using a Blackberry - 1 posts
Ripples.................................................... - 4 posts
Electricity costs - 7 posts
4 Month old baby in Spain - 2 posts
WANTED 3 MONTH RENTAL - Early JUNE To SEPTEMBER 5th - 1 posts
Dona Julia - 6 posts
Schools - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x