20kg hold luggage weight

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 May 2008 12:00 AM by Impey Star rating in London/Playa Flamenc.... 82 posts Send private message

Impey´s avatar

A friend has asked me to book a flight for them from either Murcia or Alicante to Cardiff  in early November but they must have 20kg hold luggage weight as they are coming over en route from Australia. 

I know Ryanair's limit is 15kg.  Anyone know which airlines do allow this and also when they will come on line so I can book?  Thanks.

Like 0      
14 May 2008 6:00 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Impey,

Easyjet have a 20Kg allowance plus no weight limit on hand luggage. This means one of the small suitcases can be used for hand luggage too. If they are the same as last year, Easyjet's winter flights come out at the end of June (ish).

Only problem is that they don't fly into Cardiff but Bristol could be an option.

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 5/14/2008.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
15 May 2008 3:15 PM by Impey Star rating in London/Playa Flamenc.... 82 posts Send private message

Impey´s avatar

Noreen,

Thank you.

Impey

Like 0      
16 May 2008 8:52 AM by SpanishLinda Star rating in Nueva Andalucia. 44 posts Send private message

SpanishLinda´s avatar
Hi Impey,

Bmibaby operate flights from Alicante to Cardiff and flights from Murcia to Cardiff  The airline offers a hold baggage allowance of 20kg and hand luggage of 10kg, but the combined weight of the two must not exceed 25kg. At the moment they are only selling flights up until the last week in October, but usually the winter flights come on sale in June/July so you should be able to book something soon for November.

Also the charter airline Thomsonfly operates from Alicante with the same luggage allowances as Bmibaby, but again the November flights are not due to be on sale for another month.

If you friends' luggage is over the 20kg limit usually the excess luggage charge is in the region of €10 per kilo.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Like 0      
16 May 2008 4:36 PM by Impey Star rating in London/Playa Flamenc.... 82 posts Send private message

Impey´s avatar

Linda thanks,

Sounds lovely where you live.  By the way I am hearing lots of Spanish spoken in London these days.

Impey

Like 0      
19 May 2008 9:39 AM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Noreen

'Easyjet have a 20Kg allowance plus no weight limit on hand luggage. This means one of the small suitcases can be used for hand luggage too. '

Is this absolutely true?  Not doubting you but my husband would go absolutey potty if I told him this and we got to the airport and we found out it was wrong and we had to pay for excess weight. .  Next month we hope to take the largest amount out yet - curtains , bed sheets - you name it and we have it.  We even bought some throws for the single beds and they are heavy .

I was just going to post about this when you answered my question .

Like 0      
19 May 2008 9:46 AM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Tamsin

Yes it is true & is detailed on the Easyjet website.

The hand luggage has to be within the stated dimensions & I believe that they are quite strict on that issue. The only other "rule" for the no weight limit hand luggage is that you must be able to put it into the overhead lockers without assistance.

Be careful with your 20kg allowance for hold luggage because they give no leeway at all. We were 4kg over on our joint 40kg allowance & it cost us £24 in excess baggage.

We have never had any issue with the hand luggage & it has never been weighed. As I say, I think they might pull you up on it if the dimensions were wrong though.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
19 May 2008 1:54 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Thanks

I had a look at the Easy Jet web site and it confirmed what you said.    When you  try and weigh your luggage on the bathroom scales it is never very accurate - better take less things and bring some the next time.  I think we will manage with two suitcases and two cabin bags - have to take less clothes which won't be a problem this time as it is summer and we have lots to do in the apartment so we won't be going anywhere. 

Like 0      
19 May 2008 3:58 PM by milli Star rating in Cheshire/ Formentera.... 65 posts Send private message

Tamsin

Regular flyers with Monarch get 30kg hold luggage allowance. I've just managed to reach it!!

Like 0      
19 May 2008 6:07 PM by thehalls Star rating in Lomas de Cabo Roig, .... 47 posts Send private message

Hi Tamsin - to weigh luggage on bathroom scales - my husband weighs himself first, then picks up the suitcase and that is a good guide to the weight. Hope this helps. 

Like 0      
19 May 2008 6:46 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Tamsin, I think that if you find weighing suitcases on your bathroom scales isn't accurate I think maybe your scales are at fault.  We have no problems. I just stand my case (on its own, not with me too ) on the scales as centrally balanced as possible but obviously so I can glimpse the dial & if it says 18 - 19 kg I'm happy. We have never been over the 20kg hold baggage limit with Easyjet. 

Hand baggage with Easyjet is very good, I think. Dimensions are 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm. They never seem too worried about the size as long as you don't abuse it though they can insist your hand baggage fits inside the stand they always have at check in. 

I've seen so much hand baggage, that's obviously far too large, going through. Once a young Spanish female only had hand baggage at Bristol to fly to Alicante or Murcia, can't recall where we were going to on that trip. The bag was so large it had to be squeezed into the overhead locker & it was only because it was a soft holdall that eventually the Easyjet staff managed to force it in. The young female couldn't lift it up herself anyway, it had to be done for her, regardless of what the website says. 

One guy had something that wouldn't go in the overhead locker because of the awkwardness of its dimensions & the staff took it to the back of the plane for take off & landing then let him keep it on spare seat by him. That was on the emergency exit row too. I don't think Easyjet (I only have Easyjet to go on but I suspect it's the same with Ryanair & other such like airlines) care too much. Certainly, by the time you're in the cabin all they concentrate on is getting you seated fast so you can go.

Like 0      
27 May 2008 4:32 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

I think I am very stupid as I never thought about weighing my husband and then him holding the suicase and re-weighing .   I have been so worried about changing to  Easy Jet to Gib that I never thought about that .

Thank you for the replies - I am not so worried now, just getting excited as the furniture is due to be delivered .  Trouble is that once we are there we dont  want to leave and it will be ( hopefully ) nice and warm.  

Like 0      
28 May 2008 2:35 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Ikea do a small wheeled suitcase which is the exact dimensions allowed by Easyjet.  It's in the Family Range £7.50, it folds flat for storage and you can get a lot inside it as the bars are on the outside of the case.

I normally travel by myself and I often get offers of help to get my case down from the overhead locker.  I always tell them it's heavy but they never believe me.  You should see there expressions when they find out just how heavy it is.

Like 0      
28 May 2008 5:32 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Weighed the packed suitcase  ( not clothes ) this morning and it came to an extra 2 stones which on the Internet calculation came out at 13 kilos so I have lots more weight which I am pleasantly surprised  ( if my scales are to be believed ) . I will weigh it with my husband holding it  to see if I was correct - judging by the weigh I cannot believe it ?

Interested in the IKEA suitcase ( did not know they sold suitcases ). I neeed to go there to buy  Voiles curtains I like ( if they are in stock - tried twice and they were not ) .   For £7.50 it cannot be bad .  Fortunately for me IKEA is not far away.

Like 0      
28 May 2008 8:39 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

In my store it's in the holiday section? near to the restaurant.  Someone on a site recommended it, it looks quite large but it's the exact measurement for carry on luggage.  You have to be a member of the family club to get it for £7.50 but you can pick up the card nearby, fill in the details and join at the check-out.  The card is valid straight away.

For years now I've been jumping on and off the scales weighing my cases, I now know how much weight I've put on in the five years I've been acting like a pack horse getting things out to Spain.

Like 0      
29 May 2008 4:34 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

30 May 2008 2:19 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
To add to what semi's just said, you can JOIN IKEA FAMILY ONLINE HERE too so you're ready to purchase. I've just done so & just LOOK at the benefits !! This was emailed to me.

Welcome to IKEA FAMILY

We have received your application and would like to say a big thank you for joining IKEA FAMILY

What happens next?

Your IKEA FAMILY card should arrive by post within 15 working days. Remember to bring it with you and swipe it every time you shop at IKEA.

The more you visit, the more you get.

As you know, with IKEA FAMILY, we reward your every visit to the store. And as a member you can enjoy:

25% off everything in the dedicated IKEA FAMILY shop.

Savings of up to 25% on selected items throughout the store.

FREE tea and coffee from our in-store restaurant, Monday to Friday. 

A FREE copy of IKEA FAMILY LIVE, our quarterly home furnishing magazine.

Exclusive monthly e-offers which we send you twice a month, full of inspiration and offers.

Get great rewards and benefits based on how often you shop, along with each quarterly statement.

Once again, thanks for joining IKEA FAMILY.

At the Murcia store you can join but it'll be in Spanish. Wonder if the card sent for UK is acceptable in Spain, guess it may be, any answers from anyone ?

IKEA FAMILY SPAIN

Like 0      
30 May 2008 2:34 PM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar
We tried the IKEA family card from Britain in Murcia but they said we need separate one. We would have got it then but there were queues of Spanish ladies as it was fairly new there. Not only can you get free coffees or teas but one card gives the group free too! 

Daveil

Like 0      
30 May 2008 2:39 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
We need a oblong coffee table (without paying a small fortune) so plan to visit the Murcia next month. (Better look up where it is

Lifeline, we don't speak Spanish but is that necessarily a problem at Ikea, Murcia ? I should doubt it as so many of our members go including Candyfloss & she doesn't speak Spanish any more than I do.

Like 0      
30 May 2008 6:18 PM by lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

lifeline´s avatar
There are more good English speaking staff in Ikea Murcia than in Polaris Garden centre! We bought a sofa, duvets, pillows etc and although we have a little Spanish, we cannot converse. Well worth a visit.

Daveil

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Help with capital gains tax - 2 posts
Caravan - 10 posts
attention all owners - 0 posts
kids activities / groups / out of school clubs/ football coaching in costa del sol ?? - 3 posts
Has anyone any completionnews at all? - 2 posts
La Vizcaronda, Duquesa, Manilva - 19 posts
Karen & Terry Beattie - 2 posts
San Jose into liquidation. - 362 posts
La Nueva Ermita - 0 posts
HELLDORADO - 3 posts
A question on how to advertised a property rental. - 2 posts
cheap car hire - 34 posts
Elegance Dona Julia - 3 posts
Emailing using a Blackberry - 1 posts
Ripples.................................................... - 4 posts
Electricity costs - 7 posts
4 Month old baby in Spain - 2 posts
WANTED 3 MONTH RENTAL - Early JUNE To SEPTEMBER 5th - 1 posts
Dona Julia - 6 posts
Schools - 4 posts
Laptop help please - 15 posts
How to find a good administrator? - 9 posts
buying golf clubs - 7 posts
Introducing myself to the forum - 1 posts
El Rocio - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x