Water Bills - How much should you really pay??

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 May 2008 12:00 AM by paulanodwell Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi,

We've received a water bill from the developer for 700 euros however our house has only been rented for 6 weeks of the 11 months we've had it. The developer is stating that we had a leak in our garden which was due to a burst pipe in the garden of another unoccupied property so we must pay the excess. The developer is billed for water by the water company, he then breaks this down and bills each property but should we be paying for excess water due to a burst pipe?

The problem is that the developement is only 12 months old and the president  in charge of the community and fees is pretty much useless!

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Like 0      
16 May 2008 5:18 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

It sounds highly unusual (if not unlikely) that a newly built development would not have individual water supplies to each individual property - so I'm guessing that perhaps your development does not have it's licence of first occupation yet? Are you on "builder's" water? If so, I'm not even sure whether the developer can legally charge you for water - although if you don't pay him, I imagine he'd be quick to cut you off.

Whatever the reason, 700 euros is a lot of water. Do you have any idea how much other owners in your development are paying?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 May 2008 5:31 PM by paulanodwell Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Initially the bill was nearly double that amount but we argued the case. There are 12 villas, 8 are occupied or rented and the developer is yet to sell the remaining villas. I think the water rate is charged at a commercial rate as suppose to a residential rate. How would I establish if the development has it's licence of first occupation? The other properties are being charged between 350 euros to 1200 euros!! Our neighbour stays at their Villa for 6 months of the year yet they have the lowest bill.

I have guests renting the villa next month and may have to cancel the booking if I can't sort it out.

Paula

Like 0      
16 May 2008 5:53 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I guess the easiest way to find out about the licence is to ask at the town hall (urbanismo, or planning, department). Did you use a lawyer when you bought? If so, get in touch to see if he can shed any light on this. Have you actually seen a water bill? This does seem like an astonishing amount to pay (my water bills amount to about €150-€180 per year, two people living permanently). Is there a pool, and do you know if it was emptied for the winter and refilled? If the high usage was due to a leak, there must have been an awful lot of water lost. What about insurance?

Sorry not to be of any more help - just ideas as they come to me......anyone else welcome to chip in!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 May 2008 6:03 PM by paulanodwell Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

There is a pool but not sure if the water has been changed, if it has been changed it would only be once. We did use a lawyer so I will dig out the paper work and e-mail him.

The developer has billed us directly so no I haven't seen an official bill. If the water loss was casued by a burst pipe in another property then the owner of that property would have to claim their insurance, that property is owned by the developer.

Thanks for your advice and have a good weekend.

Paula

Like 0      
17 May 2008 9:41 AM by deniseatnycs Star rating in Sol Golf Nr Villamar.... 136 posts Send private message

deniseatnycs´s avatar

Hi Paula

This really is a strange one!  The fact that you have a President , good or bad, tells us that the Urbanisation has been handed over to the owners, if this is the case why are you still on builder´s water.  Is your electricity by meter or is this also on Builder´s supply?

Your President, or the Administrator (who you are paying out of your fees) will know if you have the Certificates of Habitation and I suggest, if your President is unresponsive (why?) that you contact the Administrator as soon as possible. The pool you mention, is it your own or is it a Communal pool?

"There is a pool but not sure if the water has been changed, if it has been changed it would only be once."

I would agree that the builder billing you for water is illegal, and also agree that unless you have a meter there would be little you could do about it as  you  do not want the supply cutting off!  I do think you need legal advice over this as the others say your bill from the builder is excessive (I too live here full time and mine is less than 200 per year) and you need to query why you are being billed for a leak that is surley the builder´s fault as he laid the pipes!

Hopefully, you can get this sorted out.

Like 0      
17 May 2008 12:46 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Paula, you need a good lawyer to:

1.- Check on the First Occupation License.

2.- Protect your self before what is clearly an abuse. 700 euros!! Come on.

I can only encourage you to have a good lawyer taking care of those two things.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
17 May 2008 9:15 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Just noticed another current thread about a developer illegally charging for electricity - similar situation, so check it out:

Click here

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Restaurants in Aguilas town - 9 posts
New guy would like some help. - 11 posts
Holidays - 4 posts
Sofa and Sofa Bed - 0 posts
CARS - BUY IN UK OR SPAIN?? - 20 posts
Jumilla - 2 posts
villa@La campaneta county of Orihuela - 2 posts
R2 - Plots 123-197 - 23 posts
Bahia del Golf - Almerimar - looking at buying - 4 posts
20kg hold luggage weight - 26 posts
Help with capital gains tax - 2 posts
Caravan - 10 posts
attention all owners - 0 posts
kids activities / groups / out of school clubs/ football coaching in costa del sol ?? - 3 posts
Has anyone any completionnews at all? - 2 posts
La Vizcaronda, Duquesa, Manilva - 19 posts
Karen & Terry Beattie - 2 posts
San Jose into liquidation. - 362 posts
La Nueva Ermita - 0 posts
HELLDORADO - 3 posts
A question on how to advertised a property rental. - 2 posts
cheap car hire - 34 posts
Elegance Dona Julia - 3 posts
Emailing using a Blackberry - 1 posts
Ripples.................................................... - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x