cheap car hire

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 May 2008 12:00 AM by lomasgirl Star rating in I'm in Belgium and L.... 24 posts Send private message

When I look at the site of "cheap car hire", I find a Ford Fiesta for a very good price. We come to Alicante Airport in Octobre 2008.   But I cann't find the name of the Company.  How does it works, this system of hiring a car.

Normally I find  Solmar, Goldcar, Europ-rent-a-car Record ... and many others.

But here, I see no name. Can someone give me more information?

Thanks.

Lomasgirl

Like 0      
12 May 2008 8:45 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

We use www.doyouspain.com for our car hire & are usually allocated Auriga Crown or Solmar.

However, it is not until you receive the booking confirmation that you are advised of which company the rental is with.

That could be the same with the company that you are trying to book with.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
14 May 2008 12:54 PM by SpanishLinda Star rating in Nueva Andalucia. 44 posts Send private message

SpanishLinda´s avatar
We use a car rental firm called Cartrawler who hold a central database of local car hire firms which they match your requirements against and come up with a free online quote.  But you do not know the name of the actual car hire company who are supplying the car until you have confirmed the booking.

Like 0      
16 May 2008 1:08 AM by milli Star rating in Cheshire/ Formentera.... 65 posts Send private message

Am just back from Spain. Booked car with DoYouSpain as usual. This time with Record, has been Auriga Crown last few times.  Went to desk to collect car to find you have to put down a 300 Euro deposit on your credit card or pay 3.85 I think it was euros a day extra insurance . This wasn't mentioned by Do You Spain when I booked car

Like 0      
16 May 2008 8:23 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

The same happened to us, only they said we would have to pay a 600 euro deposit on the credit card or pay the extra insurance. This is pure blackmail, if it's 9pm you have no choice, who is going to give these rip off merchants access to 600 euros and your credit card!

Only happens with Record, if Auriga Crown ask and you decline thats the end of it.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
16 May 2008 8:42 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

I think you will find that all companies allocate an amount to the credit card covering the amount of the excess. If you take the extra insurance then they won't take your credit card as the insurance covers the excess. We don't take the cover as we have a policy with www.insurance4carhire.co.uk. You pay any excess that may become due because of an accident and then claim it back off the policy once you return home. Thankfully, so far we have never had to claim.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
16 May 2008 8:51 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

I repeat on this thread (as I did on the other thread called "car hire"!!) that it is worth shopping round for a car rental company. Some companies that are being recommended are more expensive by about 30 euros (for a 4 day rental) or so than others. This could add up to a tidy sum extra on a longer rental.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
16 May 2008 9:16 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar
I think you will find that Doyouspain state when booking that excess is not charged and is incuded in the hire cost. The charge I am referring to is 'extra insurance' as I said below "a complete rip off". With Auriga Crown the 'extra insurance' is purely optional, and they do not take a deposit on your credit card if you decline.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

Like 0      
17 May 2008 8:33 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

It seems that Record are continually changing their policy.

When I first used them 5 years ago they would take an imprint of your card for 150e for fuel, when you returned the car was checked and the imprint would be returned to you.  A suggestion about taking out extra insurance would be made but wouldn't be inforced.

Later car hires they stopped the imprinting and started pushing the extra insurance which now covered more items.  I always refused until they started offering it at a discount of 1.50 euros a day (as a regular customer) and I always paid a maximum of 21 euros even if the hire was over 14 days.  It would depend on who you saw at the desk as I've stated previously on the "car hire" thread, the men at the desk aren't always helpful.

If you haven't already I'd complain to Doyouspain, if you still want to use this agent for your carhire you can always put a special request in for the company you are used to.  Avoid Record and maybe they will get the message.

I'm going to stick to Econorent (www.hirecarsinspain) excellant company, car hire the way it should be.

On my recent rental agreement printed at airport it states 16 Seg Personal @1.50 and 16 Seg Vehiculo @3.50 (iva not included) which I believe refers to daily insurance.  When I booked the company stated that you were fully insured with no excess to pay and on arrival at Alicante no mention was made of any requirement for extra insurance for tyres, fuel, windscreen etc.

Like 0      
18 May 2008 7:42 AM by robmct Star rating in Edinburgh/London - .... 196 posts Send private message

robmct´s avatar

Hi all

I used DoYouSpain, what a nightmare, i cancelled car as i needed more days, booked a new one,  when arriving at Record they had me down for 2 cars, no cancellation, they also gave me a full tank to bring back empty,  i asked can i bring it back full as no way would use full tank, no chance,  i ended up using just over half a tank,  it's there new policy and making a small fortune as no one will bring a car back empty. I lost about 30 euros...

GoldStar also do the same and im hearing Crown Agura are too....

I think carjet are the best but as stated on here, you don't know who ur booking with until you pay...You can ring carjet and they will change it for you though...

Rob

Like 0      
18 May 2008 11:16 AM by la-calma Star rating in Wiltshire, Playa Fl.... 13 posts Send private message

Record have (April this year) an option to prepay for a full or half tank of fuel.  Last year it was a pay for what you use system.  They can be booked through email car hire at a cheaper rate then booking direct.  For the past 4 years we have opted for the damage deposit instead of the extra insurance and had no problems.    Why are some posters complaining about 'rip-off-merchants having access to your cards'  they already have the card details from your rental don't they ?  I don't know about doyospain but with email car hire you don't make any payment until you pick up the car, no deposit or card details to book.

In my experience pre-charging for fuel is a common practice unless you go for Herz or Europcar etc.

Each to their own choice.  P.

Google or PM me for the link to email car hire

Like 0      
18 May 2008 2:46 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

This message was last edited by san miguel on 5/18/2008.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

Like 0      
18 May 2008 6:53 PM by musicdonna Star rating in Near Huercal-Overa, .... 250 posts Send private message

We use Centauro.  Excellent rates and service.  Donna

Donna

www.learntodo.co.uk (site for artists of all levels!)

Like 0      
18 May 2008 6:58 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

These threads go round & round in circles & there are many threads also in here

My new thread is worth reading for those wanting car hire from Alicante & Murcia airports.

Econorent car hire only at Alicante & Murcia airports. A cut above the rest !

Like 0      
18 May 2008 8:04 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Re. Robmct's thread, can't remember who I booked it through but I arrived at the desk to find they had 11 cars waiting for me!   They were really relieved to find out I only needed one.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2010 1:04 AM by pinhead Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Hello all, cheap car hire is hard to find nowadays, but I have found these guys at  http://rentawreck.co.uk  There not the biggest company by far but the cars they have are safe (they look a bit tatty but they work) they are based near murcia so san javier and alicante airports work well.

They meet you at the airport with the car and then again at the end of your stay for collection.

This message was last edited by pinhead on 13/07/2010.

Like 0      
13 Jul 2010 5:25 PM by Kenny Ackers Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

Kenny Ackers´s avatar

We holiday to Almeria - at the moment at least 3-4 times per year.

We fly with Monarch due to them being based at Manchester airport.

I have googled my brains out and  tend to go with Carjet. Basically they are like most other sites they are just a broker. 

I have found the 2 issues that you cannot get around are:

1) Tank of petrol depending upon your car = 60 - 70 Euro ( bring it back empty ) we all know you can fill the car up for 35-40 euro.

2) Although you think you have paid full insurance - you either

• Have to pay local taxes for tyres windscreen of 3-4 euro per day
  • Or they take150 - 300 off you credit/debit card no way round it. ( they do refund the amount if the car has no damage )

So when you pick your car up be prepared to pay for these extras - We are used to it now, we have to have a car so we budget accordingly

Like 0      
13 Jul 2010 5:32 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

I this is the rent a wreck who are based in Ickenham in the UK I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. We hired a car with them in the UK and we have never been able to get out deposit back.

Irene & Alan

Like 0      
13 Jul 2010 7:24 PM by pinhead Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

If the post was read correctly it should say based in murcia??????  Why put a post on the eye on SPAIN for the uk??????????

Like 0      
13 Jul 2010 7:40 PM by robmct Star rating in Edinburgh/London - .... 196 posts Send private message

robmct´s avatar

www.carjet.co.uk  - always been good for me

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Elegance Dona Julia - 3 posts
Emailing using a Blackberry - 1 posts
Ripples.................................................... - 4 posts
Electricity costs - 7 posts
4 Month old baby in Spain - 2 posts
WANTED 3 MONTH RENTAL - Early JUNE To SEPTEMBER 5th - 1 posts
Dona Julia - 6 posts
Schools - 4 posts
Laptop help please - 15 posts
How to find a good administrator? - 9 posts
buying golf clubs - 7 posts
Introducing myself to the forum - 1 posts
El Rocio - 5 posts
Anyone in Torrevieja? - 3 posts
Driving over in june - 11 posts
Cheap Flights & Accommodation ?? - 5 posts
Feisty Kitty needs new home - 2 posts
Swimming Pool Lockout - 4 posts
Van Rental in Murcia Region - 9 posts
Selling Luxury 2 Bed Apartment Los Granados De Cabopino - 1 posts
THE RAIN IN SPAIN AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 24 posts
business partner wanted - 1 posts
Information on new routes and travel news - 0 posts
Problem with changing UK car to Spanish plates - 0 posts
Seville airport - nearest place to watch Champions League final on TV? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x