Electricity costs

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 May 2008 12:00 AM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

We have just received a notification of a direct debit for electricity  of 39 euros for three months.   We only spent one week there and did not eat , cook or sleep there during that period and used the washing machine once ( just to test it out on the reduced cycle ) .

Can anyone tell me if this is about right and how much is the standing charge as it seems a bit excessive to us?  How do we contact the company when we are both at work all day ?

Like 0      
12 May 2008 7:23 PM by BobShe Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Tasmin

We were shocked when we realised the amount must be the standing charge.  We pay Electric (Iberdola) 39 euros and Water (Aquagest) 46 euros.  AND as you say that is when the place is empty.

I don't think there is much we can do about it.

BobShe

Like 0      
12 May 2008 7:46 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

We have paid 121 euros in total for our electricity, for 6 months that we have owned our apartment & the water bills have been 38 euros for 5 months.

During that time it was occupied for about 4 weeks but that did include 10 days over Christmas where we had the electric fire blazing most of the time & then a week in Feb where we frequently used the warm air con.

Our development is fairly new & some units are still unsold. While we were there a few weeks ago, we noticed the workmen employed by the developer, plugging their heavy duty equipment into the socket on our next door neighbours patio.

We always turn our electricity & water off when we leave as we have an outside socket & tap so anyone could use them without our knowledge.

If you are in a new build & these are your first bills, it could be that the builder tapped in to your supply. I know that happened to our neighbour. They moved in & had a huge bill within days.

Regards

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
12 May 2008 8:44 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I can't say what the standing charge is but from my statement I paid 41.35 Iberdola in Feb after spending a couple of weeks there using a fair amount of electric.  Heating and cooking etc.

In April I paid 36.35 and the only thing I'd had on in that time was the fridge/freezer.

Aquamed bill was 34.48.  Included in that bill is the charge for Basura and Sewage.

Like 0      
13 May 2008 1:05 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
In the press today that electricity charges are set to rise - possibly by as much as 20% or 30%. Yikes!!!!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 May 2008 8:34 AM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

BobShe

The 39 Euros must be the standing charge.   No-one ever told us how expensive having an apartment in Spain is , but then again no-one said it would be.   We are totally amazed at the money that comes out of our deposit account in charges.    Britain beware -the days of ' free' banking will be over soon .

Thanks for your replies .   Now I have to go to work and earn some money to pay these bills ? 

Like 0      
13 May 2008 9:38 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

If you're paying a lot in bank charges then you should shop around for another.

Look at the thread re Banking and see if there's a bank which will be more convenient and cheaper.

Some have a minimum amount which must be kept in account to enable you to pay your direct debits for free very similar to how the Banks used to work here years ago.

You still have to pay for bank transfers etc but the main items which you pay regularly should be free.

It's very easy to change over, I did it in December from Solbank to HalifaxES.  I took in my latest bills which they copied and all the direct debits are going through.

Don't forget to also factor in the Bi annual charge for non residency certificate.

You could also try speaking to your Bank once you have all the information to see if they will match the deal you've found.

Like 0      
16 May 2008 4:01 PM by Tamsin Star rating. 169 posts Send private message

Good idea .  I must admit that charges see to be at the discretion of the Bank Manager . Maybe we should invite him for dinner??

I remember reading one thread where the person opened a bank account  with 39 Euros ,in prepartion for buying a property , and it had practically disappeared in one year !

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

4 Month old baby in Spain - 2 posts
WANTED 3 MONTH RENTAL - Early JUNE To SEPTEMBER 5th - 1 posts
Dona Julia - 6 posts
Schools - 4 posts
Laptop help please - 15 posts
How to find a good administrator? - 9 posts
buying golf clubs - 7 posts
Introducing myself to the forum - 1 posts
El Rocio - 5 posts
Anyone in Torrevieja? - 3 posts
Driving over in june - 11 posts
Cheap Flights & Accommodation ?? - 5 posts
Feisty Kitty needs new home - 2 posts
Swimming Pool Lockout - 4 posts
Van Rental in Murcia Region - 9 posts
Selling Luxury 2 Bed Apartment Los Granados De Cabopino - 1 posts
THE RAIN IN SPAIN AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 24 posts
business partner wanted - 1 posts
Information on new routes and travel news - 0 posts
Problem with changing UK car to Spanish plates - 0 posts
Seville airport - nearest place to watch Champions League final on TV? - 0 posts
All about Albatera - 12 posts
HEARING AID REPAIR - 0 posts
Marilyn from Essex and Casares - 1 posts
hello all! Hoping to move near San Sebastien - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x