spanish or international school?

Schools and Education in Spain Guide
This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jul 2008 11:24 PM by angelbabe911 Star rating in JARDIN 13 . 489 posts Send private message

angelbabe911´s avatar
HI
I am moving out to Spain next month onto the new Condado Alhama Resort, does anyone know any good state schools in that area for an 8yr old, my daughter has already left school so its just  my youngest son that I need to sort out - he insists he does not want to attend the british schools I have enquired about, he wants to attend spanish school so he can learn quicker, but as with some previous posts I am worried he wont learn quick enough so as not to fall behind academically....If anyone has any experience with schools in this area I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks
Carol

Like 0      
07 Aug 2008 11:03 AM by areyouserious Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Spanish school

Like 0      
07 Aug 2008 2:16 PM by angelbabe911 Star rating in JARDIN 13 . 489 posts Send private message

angelbabe911´s avatar
Yes Spanish School

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 2:40 PM by Aelred the Ready Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Aelred the Ready´s avatar
Definately Spanish

Like 0      
09 Aug 2008 2:45 PM by angelbabe911 Star rating in JARDIN 13 . 489 posts Send private message

angelbabe911´s avatar
Has anyone any experience or info on this subject ?????????????????

Like 0      
12 Aug 2008 9:50 PM by helena_steve Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

hi everyone,

I have to say as a teacher who teaches in an international school send your children into the Spanish system... i have an 11 year old who is in the spanish system, i have to say she found it really difficult at first but her spanish is great now, to start with her local school (rojales) took her out of all formal lessons and gave her all day learning the language. I found work in an international school and as part of my post could have my child attend free. I chose to leave her where she was. I am completely happy with her teacher/school and how they deal with international children. In the UK we have gone slightly mad with emotional support for sneezing. Children are and always have been resilient to change we place too much of our insecurities and issues onto them and that is where the problems start, CHILDREN LEARN WHAT THEY LIVE it’s as simple as that.

helena

Like 0      
12 Aug 2008 10:31 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
   Helena.

What a heartwarming first post.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2008 10:44 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes welcome to the forum Helena,  Agree with More great first post.    I also understand what you are saying about school;s in UK.    Especially when Iistening to what my grandchildren tell me.    The children in the village seem to enjoy the simple thing's of life.   Mind you I suppose  the weather helps.    Pat

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 2:04 PM by headless Star rating in Gandia. 40 posts Send private message

headless´s avatar
      As with all things...location,location,location. There are huge differences in the level of schooling within different catchment areas. I am in Gandia, in Valencia.  There are 3 types of Spanish schools here; Publics (State), Concertats (a kind of hybrid between State and Private...but more State) and Private. The school system works on a points system ie where you live, a brother or sister already studying at the school of choice, are you a Spanish tax payer etc. (We scored a big fat zero). Now everyone and their aunt wants to get their kids into the Concertats because of the high level of education, and the fact that it's mainly government sponsored ie fees are pretty cheap. The Valencian government likes to point out that these 2 types of State schools are all the same, but judging by how desperate parents are to avoid the normal State school, and on paying a visit to both types, the difference is easy to see. Many of the State schools here are oversubscribed with mainly Eastern and Central European immigrant children. Great if you want your child to learn Romanian.  Oh, and you have a fixed window of opportunity within which to apply (between May and June, if memory serves well). The school within your catchment area is obliged to take your children, though if the school is full AND is a good one (ie they care about class size), then your kids will be sent to the next one on the pecking order. 
    Another interesting point is that Spain is very keen on maintaining regional languages. To that end, here in Valencia, there is either the PEV or the PIP system in place for all secondary schools. With one, the education starts in Spanish, with Valenciano gradually introduced, and the other vice-versa ie starting with all classes in Valenciano. They all end up taking the same exam.
    We ended up going for the Spanish Private school where Spanish is the only language used. Class size is very limited (no more than 18). The downside is that our little mite is only 2.5 years old, but school year is measured Jan till Dec...so he'll be the youngest in his class. Here he is in his new uniform. 

Like 0      
13 Aug 2008 8:53 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Oh Headless, he is so HANDSOME ! 

for posting his photograph. You must tell him, he is FAMOUS !

Like 0      
05 May 2009 11:31 AM by tony.c Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

From a social and language standpoint, I would definitely recommend a Spanish school.  The quality tends to be quite good and your child can form part of the local community, be bi-lingual and most importantly have Spanish friends and contacts.   

Like 0      
24 Feb 2010 10:17 AM by jackbrosnan Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

ohh thats...great,,,but is this really so...

Like 0      
20 Apr 2010 11:12 PM by effy Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Id say deffo put your kids into a spanish school the younger they are the easier it is & deffo easier if they are round spanish my sister was 11 when we moved to spain and she had not 1 english friend.all spanish!she learnt spanish within 6 months i was 13 when i moved here & i found it harder because i had all english friends i then started to hang around with spanish & got the hang of it im not saying dont talk to english its just really helpful if u do have spanish friends aswell :D

Like 1      
21 Apr 2010 11:21 AM by worried owner Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

It depends if you imagine you will live in Spain for good.

Those who don't speak good Spanish are at a big disadvantage.

I know of kids who don't want to speak Spanish and ask to come out of the Spanish lessons in their international school.

This is really silly.

An advantage of the international school would be the exams.  If the syllabus of the school allowed the kids to do say the English exams and the Spanish ones, this is an advantage.  They have both sets of exams.  Whatever you might say English exams will be looked on better than non English exams if you try for a job in the UK.  It is just the way it is, they are familiar and the person on the other side of the desk has gone through the same process.

But if the intention is to remain in Spain long term, go to Spanish school.  You can speak English at home and there is so much English on TV, films, music, however the kids need to speak Spanish like the Spanish. They also need to think Spanish and know the culture like their own.

Life is hard enough as it is without being at a disadvantage of being an outsider with less than perfect language skills and less than perfect understanding of the way Spanish people think.

Like 0      
17 Apr 2014 6:56 AM by trevismarcus Star rating in Spain. 13 posts Send private message

Hello..

According to me spanish school is better than international school.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2022 11:06 AM by ViMontessori Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Good afternoon! My name is Victoria, I am a representative of a bilingual (Spanish/English) Montessori school in Murcia. We offer full-time and distance learning, as well as summer camps for children from 5 to 18 years old.

This Saturday, March 12, we will have an Open Day.

We offer experienced teachers of the British system who will help secondary school students prepare for the British International GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) exams and for the Edexcel International Advanced Levels exams to enter a British University or any other international one.

Like 0      
24 Apr 2023 5:31 PM by Brandt456 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules **
This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 4/25/2023 11:08:00 PM.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

Advice on obtaining rightful information from community management - 2 posts
buying in el manantial playa flamenca, anyone else bought there yet??? - 0 posts
All you need to know about driving in Spain with a European licence - 19 posts
Car rental - 5 posts
Newsletter Alert! - 42 posts
good state school near sotogrande - 12 posts
2nd home in Spain - has the dream been tarnished? - 41 posts
Insurance companies - 9 posts
Drive-by valuation - 7 posts
driving to spain - 16 posts
help!! - 2 posts
area of sotogrande - 9 posts
GGGGGGGrrrrrrrrooooaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHH!!! - 9 posts
Estepona rental with internet needed - 0 posts
New laws on dangerous dogs in Spain will cause problems - 13 posts
whats best way to go about getting a job in spain please help - 33 posts
El Gusto - Benijofar - 52 posts
After Completion - 15 posts
how do u turn on street lights - 17 posts
burgalaries - 11 posts
meds - 11 posts
Glasses for kids - 1 posts
new to site - 5 posts
PLEASE HELP!! - 6 posts
ive lost my escritura - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 37

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x