Advice on obtaining rightful information from community management

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by mondeoman Star rating in Wilmslow, Cheshire. 2 posts Send private message

I bought apartments in Fuerteventura last June 2007. I have arranged a bank standing order to pay community fees and I am up to date. At the AGM in December, I had apppointed a local agent as my representative with legal letter and copy of my passport to represent my interests, and also asked a lawyer to attend the AGM to take initial notes ready for future legal action.  The community president said that most attendees (except him and his vice-president) were not entitled to vote because they had not paid their water rates or their community fees up to date.  I have been asking (by formal letter in October, and twice before) for receipts for payment of community fees,anda breakdown of any other fees due like water rates, and I have not received a reply- just a hand written amount of what is owed, without dates or description. I have not yet received receipts acknowledging payment of community fees from June to December 2007.

I have read the English translation of the Spanish Horizontal Property Act.  Along with many other UK investors, we jointly own 30 apartments at this complex, and require proxy or direct agreement of a minimum of owners of 75 apartments to call an EGM to reappoint a new President.  I have asked for, but not been given, accounts for any period of management for the last five years by this President and his administrator.  My agent  and lawyer left the meeting when one owner got so irate he wanted to punch the President in the face, and in fact next day, my colleague saw him at the Police Station with a broken nose.

I'm not in a hurry to do this, but some time in 2008, I want to go through the proper procedure to be able to see what this President and administrator are doing with the community fees funds, and bring them to account.

Any advice about what I can do, or the right sequence to go about getting this community management changed, will be gratefully appreciated.  I've asked two lawyers in Fuerteventura, and also two agents, and they don't seem to be able to know what I can do, and to what effect.

Like 0      
12 Sep 2008 10:14 AM by Villan Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi Mondeo

Sorry to hear about your problems. We have been wanting to buy in Fuerteventura for a year or two now but keep hearing horror stories about the Communities which put's us off. I'm sure it's not unique to Fuert. but good well run communities appear to be the exception rather than the rule.

Like 0      
12 Sep 2008 2:49 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

MondeoMan said: "Any advice about what I can do, or the right sequence to go about getting this community management changed, will be gratefully appreciated.  I've asked two lawyers in Fuerteventura, and also two agents, and they don't seem to be able to know what I can do, and to what effect"

You may find answers in this article: www.eyeonspain.com/spain-magazine/community-horizontal-5.aspx

If the 25% of you (holding 25% of shares) convoke it, an EGM can be hold and you can legal and validly discuss there on teh change of community management.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

buying in el manantial playa flamenca, anyone else bought there yet??? - 0 posts
All you need to know about driving in Spain with a European licence - 19 posts
Car rental - 5 posts
Newsletter Alert! - 42 posts
good state school near sotogrande - 12 posts
2nd home in Spain - has the dream been tarnished? - 41 posts
Insurance companies - 9 posts
Drive-by valuation - 7 posts
driving to spain - 16 posts
help!! - 2 posts
area of sotogrande - 9 posts
GGGGGGGrrrrrrrrooooaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHH!!! - 9 posts
Estepona rental with internet needed - 0 posts
New laws on dangerous dogs in Spain will cause problems - 13 posts
whats best way to go about getting a job in spain please help - 33 posts
El Gusto - Benijofar - 52 posts
After Completion - 15 posts
how do u turn on street lights - 17 posts
burgalaries - 11 posts
meds - 11 posts
Glasses for kids - 1 posts
new to site - 5 posts
PLEASE HELP!! - 6 posts
ive lost my escritura - 13 posts
John Hogan cleared of murder by a Greek court - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x