whats best way to go about getting a job in spain please help

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Mar 2008 9:47 AM by rash29 Star rating in Hurchillo, Orihuela.. 77 posts Send private message

rash29´s avatar

LifeOverseas

Thank you very much for your help. I am really grateful, it's people like you who make life easier for others in Spain! I will update with any progress. Thanks for your detailed message.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2008 10:01 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Hi Life Overseas,

Cert TESOL is just another version of the same qualification, TEFL the one you stated previously. Either qualification would be fine for Teaching English as a foreign language. I think youve really given Rash some excellent advice to date and finding any job teaching English within reasonable travelling times should be considered?
My partner did a B Ed in teaching several years ago and now regrets not taking a TESOL course whilst she had the opportunity in the UK! Here on the CDS I've read that there is plenty of opportunity to find English teaching work both in local Schools and Private too?

Mike T

Like 0      
31 Mar 2008 10:10 AM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

Glad to help!

I dont know about local schools I´m afraid. I´ve only approached private schools so can only give advice from my own experience. Some sort of teaching certificate may be required for a local school, although I´m not sure. I am sure it could still be worth a shot, if someone gets a job out of it then great! Another thing about local schools is that the rest of the teaching staff are most likely to be Spanish and therefore a more advanced level of Spanish may be required while private school teaching staff are normally from the UK and all obviously speak English! As I say I dont have experience with local schools so the best idea would be to get in touch with a school to find out.

Rash, looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Like 0      
31 Mar 2008 12:38 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I did the Trinity Tesol and I have a degree in English (Linguistics) but you could never guess from my  horrendous spelling and grammar in my posts! When I first came out here and looked into teaching English I found that a couple of schools actually wanted unqualified staff so that they could teach them to teach in their way and also pay a pittence. The problem that I had was that having young children, the hours in language school were evening, after school for children and the late evening for students that come straight from work. The only solution for me was to give lessons from home once the girls were in bed. However, where I live I couldn't ask for much and in the end I was only charging 7euros per hour for a class and all the students were different levels so I couldn't even group them up. I think that it can work if you don't do what I did and sold myself short but it will take time to build up and also be prepared for students to be late or "forget" that they had class. You have to be strict and I was a bit soft with them.I would do try it again though but I would be a lot more prepared and approach it with more business sense.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
31 Mar 2008 12:48 PM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

I also did some classes when I first came here and was charging 10€ per hour. Similarly I only managed to have one group, a mother and daughte, the others were separate. However, during the summer before I started looking for a job it was a good way to earn a little bit of money and still sunbathe!

If I remember rightly one of the schools, academiacats.com, had 2 different timetables and I think one was 12-6 and the other 4-10...I hope I´ve got that right! I can´t remember for the others I mentioned.

I was just thinking, maybe other people are aware of other English-speaking schools in Spain and could post some names to help people in the area looking for work.

Like 0      
02 Apr 2008 4:00 PM by AmbientJobs Star rating in Monda. 4 posts Send private message

Hi

I have just joined and spotted your question. I have lived and worked in Spain for 10 years and I now run my own business, however, before all that came along I worked in many bars/restaurants and even cleaned/ironed on an hourly rate 4 days a week (I hurt so much after I could only manage 4 days!) - I then ended up working as a baby sitter for one of the families I cleaned for.

A few years later I came across a recruitment agency and became friends with one of the girls who still works there and they helped put me in touch and in front of many people which enabled me to continue working and living here and surviving!

If you have good grades/degrees or even if you don't a recruitment company could be a great way to go about getting a good job with a decent salary and contract.

I will give you their information or maybe you want to search the net and see who you can find :)

Good luck

***Edit - As per forum rules please place your link in your signature which you can do under Forum Profile***

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 4/2/2008.

Like 0      
02 Apr 2008 9:33 PM by headless Star rating in Gandia. 40 posts Send private message

headless´s avatar

"Perhaps Sir Trevor should do a programme just to wake up people who think the grass is greener in Spain (regarding work). Well paid work, especially if you haven't fluent Spanish, seems just a dream. Don't we, on EOS, hear this regularly ?? No one wants to put the scuppers on any one's dream but you have to "get real". Companies in the UK rarely get back to you either, it's not just Spain. I wish Katy & her OH the very best of luck".   

Re-quoted for TRUTH!!!

No-one seems to put themselves in the shoes of the employers. No-one seems aware of Spain's staggeringly high unemployment. No-one remembers that Eastern Europe joined the EU some years ago, with lots of educated young peeps willing to work at wages most Brits would balk at. (But everyone wants to get away without paying tax and social security!).

Why is it that in our normal jobs, spraying a car, shooting a movie (OK not so normal!) or cooking a meal, we recognise that the end result is only as good as our preparation. One word (but repeated!): language, language, language.....

Another misconception appears to be that it's better to be poor in Spain rather than poor in the UK. Lots of sunshine and a nice beach does not make next months rent/mortgage payment any easier. The Spanish are much more family orientated with finances, meaning that if one is working then they all have enough (just). But Johnny Englander is on his own. Really.

And keep in mind, that with opportunities so few on the ground, no-one here is going to spill the beans about how they really made it.

So, save a lot, have a nice long holiday, look around (but keep your hands in your pockets), chat to everyone, and then go home to slowly process everything. This last part is to stop you doing anything rash (a traspasso on that "busy" bar across the street). Then rinse and repeat....especially the saving bit. As you'd do back home, don't do anything that you know nothing about.....whether it's building work, running a bar or cleaning houses because, both you and your clients will end up miserable (along with your partner/spouse/family).

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 9:20 AM by STalbot Star rating in Hale/La Cequilla Nue.... 18 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Please respect terms of posting **

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 9:23 AM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

I have seen a web site that may be useful for some, depending on whether there are jobs for the area you are looking for.

Its http://www.exposurejobs.com/

I´ve not looked through it  completely yet but it may be worth a shot.

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 9:40 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

I've checked this web site out before Life overseas but it dosn't offer very much for Southern Spain?
A very good way of finding the latest "Situations vacant" are through the "on line" versions of local Newspapers. For instance, if you go to www.surinenglish.com the highly rated free weekly newspaper on the CDS, you can download the whole newspaper every friday in PDF format. Its absolutely brilliant! You can Google to find many online newspapers in English certainly throughout southern Spain. If you also go to www.onlinenewspapers.com/spain.htm, there are scores of newspapers available.

Mike T

Like 0      
03 Apr 2008 9:47 AM by LifeOverseas Star rating in Murcia, Spain. 49 posts Send private message

I just found it yesterday so i didnt know if it would be that good or not.

The newspaper online editions are a good idea.

Like 0      
12 Apr 2008 11:55 AM by kronos Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi,

I can give some insight on teaching English. I did it for nearly six years in Madrid and some of my closest friends taught in San Sebastien, Valencia, Avila, Logrono, Cadiz, Leon, and Barcelona. I also got offers for jobs in Burgos and Vigo but decided to stay in Madrid.

Basically, if you come to Spain as a native English speaker and go to any decent sized city, there are bound to be at least a few English academies or enough people willing to sign up for privates. Having a TEFL certificate helps but is not usually necessary, because the demand for teachers is just so great. You're best off going around early September, when the academic year is about to start and academies are hiring like crazy. Another good time is just after the winter holidays (at least in Madrid) because a lot of teachers go home and never come back! If you just do a search on the Internet for the city name and then "academia de ingles" or "clases de ingles" you should find out the names of some English schools there. Send them your CV and let them know you're planning to move to Spain to teach English. It's unlikely you'll be able to set up much before coming here (unless the school is actively seeking teachers and has placed an ad), but you can at least make initial contact. Don't be dismayed if they don't respond -- in big cities like Madrid, there are people walking in daily handing off CVs in person at the academies. They have no need to seek people over the Internet...

Good luck. :)

http://eslhell-thepaininspain.blogspot.com/

www.allthingsspain.net

Like 0      
22 May 2008 6:50 AM by anarajoy Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Spam **

Like 0      
22 May 2008 9:49 AM by SophieRF Star rating in Quesada. 62 posts Send private message

Hi check out

www.weemploy.com.

hope u find what your looking for :-)

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

El Gusto - Benijofar - 52 posts
After Completion - 15 posts
how do u turn on street lights - 17 posts
burgalaries - 11 posts
meds - 11 posts
Glasses for kids - 1 posts
new to site - 5 posts
PLEASE HELP!! - 6 posts
ive lost my escritura - 13 posts
John Hogan cleared of murder by a Greek court - 11 posts
Correos, the Spanish Post Office, to cut rural delivery service - 0 posts
david and ann - 1 posts
Transfer Tax - 22 posts
the castilla, lemon tree road, guadamar - 9 posts
Anyone help with Halifax???? - 6 posts
Bank repossessions - 12 posts
Inside Track - 8 posts
lessons in marbella - 3 posts
Set up fees on an existing business - 0 posts
Free flight with the new easyJet MasterCard (worth £40 inc.tax) - 5 posts
IS THIS FIRM FIT FOR PURPOSE? - 8 posts
Hello Hola! - 3 posts
Help with TV setup. - 6 posts
Data Protection - 2 posts
Hi - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 34

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x