Help with TV setup.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by Sallyshaw Star rating in Alicante city. 9 posts Send private message

Sallyshaw´s avatar

I am a single woman and not very electronically minded. (although I can follow simple instructions )

I live in Alicante city and have a UK new LCD tv, a UK freeview box, an old satelite dish set up from landlady about 1.2 metres facing the sea,(no idea if its pointing Astra or Hotbird or whatever) and a spanish DVD player. I can receive all analogue spanish tv stations and as I speak fluent spanish this is important to me but I would like to receive some channels in English. Can anybody tell me with the set up I have if its possible to receive any UK channels or English speaking channels? If this is not possible, is my UK freeview any use as a digital receiver for spanish tv programs or do I have to buy a TDT spanish box?

Another question is what kind of indoor aerial do I need to receive just normal spanish tv for my bedroom tv? Do I have to buy an expensive one or will any old indoor aerial do? The building where I live seems to have many aerials on the very high roof (14th floor) and many owners (all spanish) have their own satelite dishes.

I would really aprecciate any help or advice.

Thank you in advance.

Sara

Like 0      
22 Jan 2008 3:52 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Hi Sally

Someone here I'm sure once mentioned that you cannot use a UK freeview box in Spain.  Maybe hook it up and see what happens.

With a normal ariel you should be ok to pick the Spanish signals, it just depends how strong the signals are in your area and indoor ariels aren't always very good.

If you already have a satellite dish then you will need a digibox to receive the UK channels. 

Hope that helps.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
22 Jan 2008 4:40 PM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

Hi there.  Not wishing to contradict you Justin!! But we used an English Freeview box for several years in Estepona.  One problem that you may have Sally is the satellite dish.  When we moved last year, there was an existing Satellite set up, but it was German and our TV man told us it would not do because it was not big enough.  We had to have a gi-normous dish (much bigger than the Spanish ones) to enable us to catch the UK & Sky channels.....

Like 0      
22 Jan 2008 5:58 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The 1.2 m dish may be big enough to pick up basic UK channels where you are, although apparenlty signals are very poor in Alicante. As previously said, you will need a digital satellite decoder - any will do, it doesn't need to be a SKY one to pick up the Free to Air channels (BBC, ITV etc.) Not sure if a "Freeview" box is something else though? The dish will have to be aimed at the Astra 2D satellite, which is roughly South East. Unless you are prepared to fiddle around for ages, with a friend shouting "left a bit, right a bit", you may prefer to get a satellite engineer in to align it. It's not really too difficult once you've picked up the signal though.

Don't know for how much longer you will get analogue signals? But a cheap Digital Terrestrial box from somewhere like Carrefour will do, so long as your building has (as required by law I believe) already installed a digital antenna. Many movies dubbed into Spanish can be switched back to original language (i.e. English) with this set-up.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
22 Jan 2008 7:09 PM by Sallyshaw Star rating in Alicante city. 9 posts Send private message

Sallyshaw´s avatar

Thank you all for your help. I guess that the mix up here is due to the "BOX". A freeview box I understand is a TDT (Spanish term for Terrestrial Digital Transmission) What I don't know is, if this BOX whether from UK or bought here in Spain will transmit Spanish and UK channels? I can't try the UK freeview box because I left the remote control in the UK  but wanted to know before I had to buy a Spanish TDT whether this box will be any use to me or not. Before I even start thinking of connecting the satellite dish I just wondered if the box I have will transmit even if its only Spanish digital TV?

Thank you.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2008 9:29 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Have you read the thread lower down from this regarding Freeview in Spain, hopefully that may help you to understand a bit more on what set up you want.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2008 9:04 AM by Sallyshaw Star rating in Alicante city. 9 posts Send private message

Sallyshaw´s avatar

Well, I managed to setup my UK digibox here in Spain and receive all the spanish digital channels (around 32) except for Antenna 3, does anyone know why I can't receive this particular channel? I receive all the others like Telecinco, TVE 1 , TVE 2, Canal 9, Cuatro, etc etc..... Image and audio great improvement with digital. I am in Alicante city.

Thank you

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Data Protection - 2 posts
Hi - 1 posts
looking for hotels on E5 north of Madrid - 1 posts
help - 2 posts
mobile to mobile charges - 3 posts
furniture - 1 posts
HELP NEEDED URGENTLY PLEASE - 33 posts
However do I get rid of unwanted emails ? Anyone with ideas other than what we're doing already ? - 19 posts
Some advice please - 4 posts
Any ideas on furniture - 2 posts
Monarch flights sale - 0 posts
hotels north of Madrid - 0 posts
Maintenance - 5 posts
Hi, I've been using the forum for information for a while now, so thought I'd introduce myself. - 4 posts
Has anyone got any ADVICE, please??? - 3 posts
any course fishermen out there - 5 posts
ELECTRICAL GOODS - 34 posts
Aldea Beach Manilva - 0 posts
Import duties - 0 posts
the unknown - 14 posts
It's Starting!!!! - 17 posts
Mediterranean sea levels are rising!! - 2 posts
Bristol airport charging for trolleys !!! - 0 posts
Embalse De La Vinuela, The Dream Nightmares Are Made Of. - 1 posts
RENTAL - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x