However do I get rid of unwanted emails ? Anyone with ideas other than what we're doing already ?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
21 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I'm being inundated with unwanted emails of a rather delicate nature, say no more !!  They arrive into my Virgin email but not all have my accurate email address on. For example, if my proper email address is (but it's not ) dipsydoodah@virgin.net    I get email into this address with correct address on it, but also emails into this address but addressed to (for example) dipsey1@virgin.net,  doohdah@virgin.net, dipseydildo@virgin.net, not to mention many other email addresses. 

I've initially just deleted these but I get loads more ! I've therefore been bouncing the mails back to sender. However, often I then get mail from Mail System telling me original sender is doing same as I'm doing, ie bouncing. I'm blocking too but they're coming in from many senders.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/21/2008.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 5:11 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

More do you not have the junk mail blocked on your system obviously not silly question?  But we get that free from      NTL  they have been taken over by Virgin  but we still get that facility.   Have you been in  touch with virgin about it?   Pat

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 5:43 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Pat. We are using Incredimail so OH will need to look at this. Will need to tackle Virgin about it, definitely. With OH always at work since we returned from Spain (he's been busy) & mail addressed to me coming into my address but using many other addresses (am I making sense here, don't think so  ) it's been left, with us hoping it'll stop.

I've given my Virgin address to a chosen few so who's put my husband's name forward for a 20" ssh you know what ? I could think of a couple of members.  ("Members" ?? Oh dear me.. )

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 5:53 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Pat, we've just looked in "Tools" then "Junk mail" & found it was switched to "off". When we clicked on "add" (to switch Junk Filter Plus on) it wants £24.95 (special offer) for a year !! Think I'll keep blocking & bouncing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one just came in... the email address is so far fetched from my actual address !

Date: 21/01/2008 17:54:35
Subject: You Gonna Love This

Hello pal Jann
if you have trouble keeping it hard how will you survive?
http://home.graffiti.net/iluchkina/

Dannie Anthony

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 6:38 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I have an old copy of mailwasher which is free to distribute (according to the licence). PM me your email address and i'll send it over.

Mark

edit: Best not to bounce emails back as you yourself will end up on the email blacklist which may prevent you sending emails to some domains and providers.

This message was last edited by Marksfish on 1/21/2008.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 6:56 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Thanks Mark. Is this it, free too http://www.mailwasher.net/   

So what am I to do with the latest one ? Just delete for the moment or .............

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 7:28 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

If you only have one email address, that free programme is fine. If like me though you have several accounts, you have to pay $30 ish for the full programme. When they first made the programme, it supported multiple accounts and that is the version Ihave and use.

Basically the programme looks at your mail server and shows emails waiting to be delivered. You then choose the ones to delete and then bring in the ones you want.

Mark

Like 0      
21 Jan 2008 8:18 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
I use mailwasher as well and find it good.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2008 8:48 AM by snorkychopper Star rating in England / Spain. 226 posts Send private message

snorkychopper´s avatar

The simplest way of killing all un-requested spam is to buy your own mail domain and then set the filters on it to a high  level and spam will stop  - sadly its all to easy for spammers to bombard all the major ISP's with junk mail

Look on www.easily.com and choose your own domain name (also you then own it for as long as you want to pay) - buy your own name and then your e/mail address can be mail@firstnamesecondname.com or whatever - this can cost as little as £8.99 for a co.uk address for 2 years

Then set up the mail forwarding with easily (it is actually very easy !) that costs around £20.00 a year and your mail will come via the easily secure and heavily spam filtered servers - you can also set you own levels of filtering online (costs nothing !)

My father used to be on freeserve and then vigin and he was overhwhelmed by junk mail - I set him up his own domain and login and it stopped overnight !

It works really well and a big plus is that no-one ever forgets your e/mail address !!!!

Rgds

Mark

Like 0      
22 Jan 2008 4:55 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Thanks to all.

Mark (Marksfish) mail just arrived, thanks.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 1/22/2008.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2008 5:30 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

Mark,

That option can work against you as well though unless you set it to allow addresses you know are safe otherwise mail that it considers spam that is not and is actually from someone you know yopu could lose important emails

Like 0      
22 Jan 2008 5:32 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Conrad, I'm SO pleased someone else types "yopu" as I do.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2008 9:31 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Mailwasher isn't a programme that will delete anything without input from the user, you have to physicaly click a button. The programme will get the headers of all emails on the server and show themto you. Yes, it will mark some as blacklisted as it can be set to check against SPAM blacklists, but a quick scan can tell if the mails are genuine or not. You can also add your friends into a whitelist so they don't accidentally get deleted. In my opinion, it is much better than entrusting your mail to spam filter as false positives are deleted before you have a chance to see them and correct the problem.

Mark

Like 0      
23 Jan 2008 4:55 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

More have you not sorted this yet?, did you get in touch with virgin? I mean if NTL do this for free and they are now part of virgin, unless they had to carry on with it as NTL had already started  I certainly would not like all them emails. Pat 

Like 0      
23 Jan 2008 5:06 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Pat

OH was looking at mailwasher (that Marksfish told us about) but says he is unhappy with it as it means I need to sort out wheat from chaff every time I log on.  Also the one for multiple accounts that Mark sent us won't work as it says something's missing. OH's fed up with having to spend so much time evenings on it.

He'll contact Virgin as soon as he has time, he's working long hours at present & is bushed when he gets in. I just keep deleting the mails at the moment seeing as Mark says it's best not to bounce them.

I see NTL let you receive all my risque mails to you, so I'm not classed as junk !

Like 0      
23 Jan 2008 5:16 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

You are on my address list More, so they would not dare, but it means we can send you anything  are you sure OH has not secretly been on these sites  without you knowing (just Joking)  Pat

Like 0      
23 Jan 2008 5:18 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Should work fine More. I have had it on Win 95/ 98 and XP. If you have Vista it may not work, but I know a lot of programmes don't (or didn't), or if you have a MAC. Sorry you had problems with it.

Mark

Like 0      
23 Jan 2008 5:20 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
SO PAT IT'S YOU SENDING ME THESE ? They're coming into MY mails. Mind you I'm often sending away for freebies so it's likely these lot got my address from there. It's those mails that come into my mailbox addressed to others that's wierd. Sometimes they do ccs to lots too. Next time I get one I'll forward it to you for your perusal. Anyway I've got lots more to send you which are ace so best get back to it.

Like 0      
24 Jan 2008 10:14 AM by patman Star rating in Chester and Los Alca.... 84 posts Send private message

patman´s avatar
If you bounce the emails back you are then giving the sender your actual email address. I never reply to the ones that get through my filter, I just delete them or add them to junk.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2008 6:29 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Right, this is the latest. As Pat of Pat & Roy said I should do, I went onto Virgin website where they have an abuse notification. Unfortunately, I'd already composed quite a lengthy email to them telling them all the addresses these had come from & who they'd been sent to although most weren't sent with my address as correct. The website wanted individual addresses & IP addresses.  Anyway I sent my mail to support@virgin.net & they were very informative & gave me step by step info. However, I'm using Incredimail & they were referring to Virgin & it got a bit complicated.

SO... I'm blocking each sender (as I get quite a few duplicates) & not bouncing them. Don't know why I just didn't do that before. See what happens. Only thing is when we go to Spain now for extended breaks. (Did I say OH retires 13th March on his 60th ???) We come "home" to so many.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Advice from Virgin...

I would like to inform you that one of the biggest concerns for victims of email abuse is "How did they get my email address?"

Firstly, Virgin Media do not pass on email addresses and our database is secure.

There are various ways for a Spammer to get a mailing list:

Spammers can auto-generate mailing lists by using simple algorithms and a directory of names.  They generate a list of names which will look like:

firstname.b@, firstname.c@, firstname.d@ etc. 

Once this list is generated they can then add to it a list of Internet Service Providers, such as firstname.b@virgin.net, firstname.b@anotherisp.co.uk, firstname.b@andanotherisp.com and so on.  In many cases these addresses will be invalid, but a number will be valid.

Newsgroups and bulletin boards are often used as a source of email addresses.  If a user is vocal on the newsgroups it is highly likely that their email address has been purged from here.  It is always advisable to use an alias email address when posting to newsgroups, e.g. firstname.b@nospam.virgin.net (in order to send email, remove the nospam section).

The majority of spam will not show the recipients.

You can also set up mail filters, using the Virgin Media Webmail service.

You can block email addresses by adding them to your 'Blocked Senders' filter.  A filter is a feature that automatically selects mail as it arrives in your inbox, according to criteria that you specify.

Once you have created the filter, you can add names to it from any email you receive.

Blocking a sender - creating a Blocked Senders Filter:

1.  Open a message from the sender, whose mail you want to block.

2.  On the top right hand side of the Received message window there are three links.  Click the 'Block Sender' link.

3.  Click OK in the confirmation box.

To edit the Blocked Senders Filter:

1.  Click on the Options tab to open the Options area.

2.  Click on the 'Mail' link on the left-hand side.

3.  Scroll to the 'Filters' section.

4.  Click on the 'Blocked Senders Filter' in the filter's list to select it.

5.  Click the 'Edit' button to open the Edit Blocked Senders Filter.

6.  Make any amendments you need.

7.  Click OK to save your changes.

To disable the Blocked Senders Filter:

Either:

1.  Follow the instructions in the above section:  'To edit the Blocked Senders Filter'.

2.  Select 'Make filter inactive' in the Edit Blocked Senders Filter window.

3.  Click OK to save.

Alternatively:

1.  Select the Blocked Senders Filter from within the Active Filters list.

2.  Click 'Move Down' to move the filter into the Inactive Filters list.

I hope this helps, if you need any further assistance with the Webmail service, there is a very comprehensive help section which you can view by clicking on the 'Help' button at the top of the screen.

If you are finding spam a particular problem, you may wish to look at some of the newer protections that are now being advertised on the Internet.

You can also contact our online chat support, where our Technical Support agents will be able to help you. Please click on the link below, and enter your Virgin Media email address and password to access our online chat agents.

www.virgin.net/customers/contactus

In the next window click on the button which says 'Online help' and a small window will pop up wherein you would be able to live chat with agents online.

The technicians here will be able to access your computer remotely and if possible, they will be able to fix the problem remotely as well.

I would like to inform you that we do not support Incredimail.

If you need any further assistance please contact us again, or visit the following address:

http://www.virgin.net/helpme/

Many Thanks

Sonia

Virgin Media Customer Support

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Some advice please - 4 posts
Any ideas on furniture - 2 posts
Monarch flights sale - 0 posts
hotels north of Madrid - 0 posts
Maintenance - 5 posts
Hi, I've been using the forum for information for a while now, so thought I'd introduce myself. - 4 posts
Has anyone got any ADVICE, please??? - 3 posts
any course fishermen out there - 5 posts
ELECTRICAL GOODS - 34 posts
Aldea Beach Manilva - 0 posts
Import duties - 0 posts
the unknown - 14 posts
It's Starting!!!! - 17 posts
Mediterranean sea levels are rising!! - 2 posts
Bristol airport charging for trolleys !!! - 0 posts
Embalse De La Vinuela, The Dream Nightmares Are Made Of. - 1 posts
RENTAL - 1 posts
moving in march do i bring cot and high chair or get new - 4 posts
Downturn in price - 57 posts
Torremendo (near San Miguel de Salinas/Torrevieja - Alicante) - Rubbish Dump - 2 posts
selling your property - 2 posts
my property - 1 posts
Ikea Malaga - 4 posts
For Justin re "selling your property" board - 0 posts
Off Plan La Recolletta - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 20

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x