TIE deadline for British Residents?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Aug 2021 10:35 AM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

Hi, can anyone confirm that there is now a deadline to get the TIE for any British resident even with a permanent NIE green certificate. All I can find is that there is no deadline yet but I was informed by SEPE that there is a deadline in place: 31/12/2021

I was arranging paperwork for a British friend and they insisted that no one would be able to operate with the administration after that date without a TIE.

Not that it's a major problem, but I wasn't aware there was now a deadline or is the administration once again misinformed?

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 1      
03 Aug 2021 12:19 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

There is no such document as a permanent NIE green certificate.

If you registered for residency before 6 July 2020 and have a green paper residence certificate, you do not have to take action. Your green certificate (A4 or credit card-sized) remains valid and proof of your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement.

You may exchange it for the new TIE if you want to. The Spanish government recommends obtaining the TIE as it is more durable and may simplify some administrative processes. If you want to exchange your green paper certificate for the TIE there is no deadline for doing so.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residency-requirements-in-spain

Like 0      
03 Aug 2021 12:54 PM by Jimbofinn Star rating in Chiclana De La Front.... 224 posts Send private message

Jimbofinn´s avatar

Kavanagh
Whilst you may be correct in what the UK gov site is stating. You know very well that it is not always the case how the Spanish authorities interpret the legislation.  Recently my wife and I exchanged our residencia permanente (green credit card size) for the TIE. Of note, I'd had my original NIE certificado since moving here in 2009 that I exhanged in 2019 for the Residencia Permanente The NCP officer at the Extranjeros office told us that we needed to make this exchange. Also a close friend of ours could not trade in his old car for the new one without the TIE which he duly obtained.

Short of standing there and debating the issue with the NCP official (and we know who would have won that argument) we just kept our mouths shut and completed the exhange.  For the sake of €12.00 to us it was a no brainer.

This message was last edited by Jimbofinn on 03/08/2021.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2021 2:43 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Jimbo

You may be correct to a point. The Spanish staff authorities can interoperate things differently depending on the day of the week and what colour socks they are wearing that day. You can ask a question to staff members and get ten different answers. Sometimes a staff member will give you one answer in the morning and the same staff member will give you a totally different answer in the afternoon.

An NIE certificado is only a printed document stating your NIE number and nothing else; you do not nor cannot exchange it for a residence permit.

My previous post is fact and correct. However if you wish to take advise from a barstool advisor and waste your time that is your choice.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2021 3:15 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

"There is no such document as a permanent NIE green certificate" 

Well, we all know what we are talking about, el "Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Union de carácter permanente" 

which certifies that the holder is a permanent resident in Spain. This same document has the same validity as the Permiso de Residencia when it comes to proving your residency status and your rights under the Withdrawl Agreement, so it is more than just a piece of paper. 

It seems that certain administrations have already established a limit for the "green certificate". SEPE has confirmed in writing that if the TIE is not presented before the end of the year anyone receiving benefits of any kind will be withdrawn from the payment scheme. 

Like 0      
03 Aug 2021 4:08 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

‘’It seems that certain administrations have already established a limit for the "green certificate". SEPE has confirmed in writing that if the TIE is not presented before the end of the year anyone receiving benefits of any kind will be withdrawn from the payment scheme.’’

Hello Mac

Could you please post a link to this exact statement from SEPE?

Like 0      
03 Aug 2021 5:29 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

why would you need a TIE to trade in an old car ?

Like 1      
03 Aug 2021 6:26 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

I can't I'm afraid it was written in an email from one of the SEPE offices. I questioned it and she came back confirming it.

This message was last edited by mac75 on 03/08/2021.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2021 8:03 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Thank you mac, I think you have been misinformed by a member of staff at SEPE who has got it wrong or perhaps her management. It is not uncommon in Spain for establishments to try and enforce their own made up rules even if they are illegal. Maybe they are getting a NIE mixed up with a TIE, it is easily done when you have been for a afternoon siesta on the vino.

Jimbofinn what official website or person has informed you that you need to be a Spanish resident to buy and sell a car in Spain, a non resident with a NIE can buy and sell a car.

Spain is a free country and you have the human right to believe anything you like, but I would suggest you research information on a Spanish government website or the British Consulate website.

Like 1      
04 Aug 2021 8:15 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Jimbofin...you only need a N.I.E and a address to own a car in Spain ..you don't need a TIE...a TIE is only issued to permanent residents you don't need to be a permanent residents to own or buy a car in Spain.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 05/08/2021.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

All won cases in 2021-Costaluz Lawyers - 0 posts
Problem with Endesa gas contract - 8 posts
Costaluz Lawyers, Testimonials - 1 posts
Dual/ triple nationality - 11 posts
Testimony - Costaluz Lawyers - 1 posts
General info on buying process - 10 posts
Engineer that sets up security system - 3 posts
Data collecting with AI - 2 posts
A good optician needed - 0 posts
Alarm and cctv system regulation - 3 posts
Should I reuse/ resell my baby camera? - 8 posts
The Flood Gates are Opening... - 0 posts
Does your occupation matter when it comes to dating? - 12 posts
Comparison of new versus previous electricity rates - 13 posts
Advice wanted Inflatable Hot Tub Costa del Sol Nerja/Malaga region - 1 posts
Green A4 Certificate to TIE - 6 posts
travel between Spain and Portugal - 5 posts
Change of name in Spain - 2 posts
Santa Ana - 0 posts
Change of buying party and extension to timetable - what are a seller’s rights? - 6 posts
Cost of living. 2021 - 58 posts
Buying in condado de alhama - 3 posts
Timing Application for Permanent Residence - 1 posts
My Spanish Story - 0 posts
Gone in 30 minuets, car taken by police - 28 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x