Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Jul 2021 3:15 PM by Morris21 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi to all

Help is needed please

My grand daughter was born in Austrlia this year, her mother is from Majorca ,her dad  is from England.

Neither mum or dad are Austrlian.  Will she be allowed 3 passports ie a citizen of Spain, UK and Austrlia. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Morris 

Like 0      
23 Jul 2021 3:26 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Like 1      
23 Jul 2021 5:54 PM by Morris21 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks Kavanagh I have seen this info, unfortunetly it is geared up to the USA .

Like 0      
23 Jul 2021 6:34 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

The same principles apply. Each country throughout the world has their own policy on how many different passports and citizenships you may have. Go do your homework.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2021 11:38 AM by Morris21 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

This is part of my homework. I am asking on here because many people will be in a simalar situation. If

anyone could point me in the right directions it may save many hours/days of fruitless reasearch. 

Like 0      
24 Jul 2021 11:44 AM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Citizenship has obligations as well as rights. My son was born in Belguim but I soon went to the Marie and rescinded his right to Belgian citizenship.

Had I not done so he would have been called up for national service when he reached 18!

Research the three.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2021 12:34 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I would say it's down to the parents to decide what country they are going to be residents in... once they have made the decision ... Australian / Spanish / British currently out of the 3 countries ..I would do the same as the cross channel illegall economic immigrants do and register as British..

Like 0      
24 Jul 2021 6:04 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Morris you will have to wait 18 years before anyone can point you in the right direction.

A person may have and exercise rights of nationality in different countries and be subject to the responsibilities of all.

Requirements include being at least 18 years old when you apply and being able to read, write, and speak basic language of the county. You must also pay a fee to apply for permanent residency and then another fee to file an application for citizenship.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2021 10:19 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Not quite.

Being born in Australia doesn't give you automatic Australian citizenship. My younger brother was born there but, being the son of two Brits, was British. To get citizenship a child not born to Australian parents must apply at age 10 and show they have been living there for the majority of that 10 years. 

Spain is very dodgy on granting dual citizenship. They normally expect you to give up your other citizenship.

This is not true for all countries but you'd have to check which one they have reciprocal agreements with but I think it is mainly S America countries and they can apply after 2 years. Some Jewish sects are allowed automatic citizenship after a couple of years (something to do with how they were treated around the time of the inquisition). 

It would, of course, depend on the nationality on the child's birth certificate. They could apply for Spanish citizenship due to a birth parent without going through the 10 year wait like the rest of us but would need to be able to demonstrate a link with Spain and speak the language. Not sure if they'd have to pass the written test most of us have to do.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2021 11:35 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

In the same period of time in Belgium we knew a German air force sergeant who was there because he did not speak German well! He considered himself Australian and so spoke good Australian English. His parents had emigrated to Australia when he was a baby but made the mistake of returning to Germany to visit family when thier son was eligible for national service.

Not really relevant but amusing. In the same office as the German/Australian was an Americam Master Sergeant. A new young English secretary was posted in and needed to re-organise her office. She managed to ask the American for a rubber and the Australian to hump her typewriter within about 30 minutes!

Like 0      
25 Jul 2021 1:07 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Just because you have duel or in your case triple nationality ..does not give you the automatic right to claim residency in any country of your choice ..the person in question has to apply on his own behalf when he is classified as a adult.. to the country of choice and meet all the entry requirements of that country.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2021 12:07 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Portal/en/ServiciosAlCiudadano/InformacionParaExtranjeros/Paginas/Nacionalidad.aspx#:~:text=How%20can%20Spanish%20nationality%20be%20acquired%3F&text=Those%20of%20Spanish%20origin%20are,exception%20of%20children%20of%20diplomats).

Official link to Spanish nationality possibilities above.

Countries which have double nationality agreements with Spain are as follows:

• Andorra
  • Argentina
  • Bolivia
  • Brasil
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Cuba
  • República Dominicana
  • Guinea Ecuatorial
  • Ecuador
  • Filipinas
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • México
  • Nicaragua
  • Panamá
  • Paraguay
  • Perú
  • Portugal
  • Puerto Rico
  • El Salvador
  • Uruguay
  • Venezuela
  • Francia

If your country is not in that list, you need to renounce your nationality before acquiring the Spanish one

Feel free to contact us with your doubts and questions on residency and nationality in Spain

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Testimony - Costaluz Lawyers - 1 posts
General info on buying process - 10 posts
Engineer that sets up security system - 3 posts
Data collecting with AI - 2 posts
A good optician needed - 0 posts
Alarm and cctv system regulation - 3 posts
Should I reuse/ resell my baby camera? - 8 posts
The Flood Gates are Opening... - 0 posts
Does your occupation matter when it comes to dating? - 12 posts
Comparison of new versus previous electricity rates - 13 posts
Advice wanted Inflatable Hot Tub Costa del Sol Nerja/Malaga region - 1 posts
Green A4 Certificate to TIE - 6 posts
travel between Spain and Portugal - 5 posts
Change of name in Spain - 2 posts
Santa Ana - 0 posts
Change of buying party and extension to timetable - what are a seller’s rights? - 6 posts
Cost of living. 2021 - 58 posts
Buying in condado de alhama - 3 posts
Timing Application for Permanent Residence - 1 posts
My Spanish Story - 0 posts
Gone in 30 minuets, car taken by police - 28 posts
Rustic property in La Marina village, Alicante - 6 posts
Vaping in Spain - 4 posts
All won cases by Costaluz Lawyers so far in 2021 - 5 posts
internet connection speed ?. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x