Location advise please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Feb 2020 16:26 by Johnstone36 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I'm looking to by an apartment near the sea in Spain where I can escape to in winter, but provide some income as a summer rental. I have done some research but I figured that I should ask advice from people who have done this! Do you have any location recommendations for a viewing trip. Is it better to buy a brand new property or existing one? What should I be wary of? Any advice, especially on location would really assist. Thanks
David

This message was last edited by Johnstone36 on 24/02/2020.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2020 18:10 by windtalker Star rating. 1665 posts Send private message

If you are buying with the intension of letting out to cover mortgage payments then think again...even if you could afford to buy outright you will still not make enough to cover you outlays if you go through  agency..I know of 3 people that rent out property and they will all tell the same ...you have got to find your own clients and you have got to do all the cleaning / hand overs yourself ..you will also need to have the relevant license  in place ..you will also need a tax accountant as you will be required to pay 24% on income earned...some of the rental income that they quote on programs like place in the sun are a joke ... anywhere you look in Spain you will see thousands up for rent..if it was as easy as giving your key's to a estate agents and sitting back  and watching the money come in wouldn't everybody be doing it.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 24/02/2020.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2020 20:04 by ads Star rating. 4012 posts Send private message

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-buy-property-in-spain#history

Scroll up to read all the relevant sections in this UK Govt website.

This message was last edited by ads on 24/02/2020.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2020 21:42 by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1062 posts Send private message

Windtalker is right. Loads and loads of places to rent and you need a licence if you are doing it for holidays. You need someone to clean and change the linen in between visits, passport numbers have to be collected and reported to the Guardia Civil, tax has to be paid on the rental income and so on plus you have to declare the rental income to the taxman every 3 months so you'd probably need a gestor or good solicitor to do it for you.

Places near the beach do go for a good rental but only for 2 or 3 months of the year if you are lucky. The rest of the time they are going for money that probably woulnd't even cover your outgoings (council tax, electric and water standing charges and so on) or it will be standing empty and earning nothing. Plus the cost of the rentals in the first place will be rather higher than a similar place away from the beach.

You don't say if you are UK citizen but I will assume you are. In which case you probably won't be able to claim back any expenses on the property next year (at the moment you can claim a percentage for your IBI, cleaning costs, rental agent and so on - non-EU citizens can't do that).

Many people have come and asked if it will be really worth it. And not sure I'd like a place near the beach in the winter months anyway. 

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Rats - 3 posts
Flood Sandbags - 14 posts
applying for residency, - 9 posts
Solar and air source heat pumps/and insulation/ - 5 posts
which vpn - 8 posts
Reoccurring Floods - 13 posts
2020 Situation re UK plated car in Spain and selling RH drive car in Spain - 14 posts
Squatters Rights with Property in Spain - 18 posts
720 and Income Tax - 1 posts
shower refurb - 1 posts
Gas Hob - 2 posts
Brexit: tax on lets - 31 posts
EU registration - 7 posts
Volunteering in Malaga/Rincon de la Victoria - 0 posts
Official information for UK nationals moving to or living in Spain, including guidance on residency, healthcare, passports and the Withdrawal Agreement. - 0 posts
Non Alcohol Wine - 2 posts
trip to Barcelona 4 day itinerary - 6 posts
Requirement to carry passport - 36 posts
CGT on selling property - 3 posts
Registering as EU citizen - 76 posts
Brexit - 40 posts
amazon firestick - 17 posts
Will the Supreme Court grant Consumer Law status to Law 57/68 debate? - 2 posts
Tax rebate for British Erasmus student - 1 posts
All won cases by CostaLuz Lawyers-- off plan refunds and Floor Clause-- so far in 2020 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x