EU registration

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Feb 2020 2:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have just seen a notice, as below,  issued by Mijas Foreign Residents that;

U.K. nationals can register until 28.2.20

I called them and they said that was what they had been told by the police 

I was wondering if anyone else has heard anything from another source 

I am working tomorrow so will ask at the station where I work for the latest info and see if they know anymore about what fuengirola comisaría has said, and post what I am toad 

As like I am sure that like others I understood nothing would change until the end of the transition period

This message was last edited by johnzx on 12/02/2020.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 12/02/2020.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2020 10:20 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Latest news from the police chief where I work.  

No one knows what will happen, or if anything has changed.   They are waiting to be advised by central government 

Like 0      
13 Feb 2020 11:46 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Residency in Spain for British nationals does not officially give you free movement to the Schengen zone post-transition. So presumably if you travel as I do outside Spain the 90-day clock starts ticking once in France. However, without customs control in the Schengen zone passports will not be stamped.

What that then effectively and practically means is free movement unless you enter Britain. Then if you leave the UK and re-enter Schengen presumably your passport will get stamped and the 90-day visa then applies until you reach Spain. Dog's breakfast comes to mind. As long as you avoid the UK, Europe should still be hassle-free for registered British in an EU country.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2020 1:16 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Micky as I have said before, my wife is non EU.  She has a RESIDENCIA PLASTIC CARD.  With that she has free movement in Schengen area, but she is not entitled to spend more than three months in another EU country.  After the transition Brits will probably require a RESIDENCIA  and thus should have free movement as resident non EU nationals have now 

Like 0      
13 Feb 2020 1:37 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Dog's breakfast indeed.

And assuming one flew or took a ferry from UK directly to Spain, one's passport wouldn't be stamped on arrival...what would be the point?

As John points out, his wife has free movement but is not entitled to spend more than three months in another EU country. Which is practically impossible to enforce as there are no frontier checks. It's a recognised loophole.

I think that some similar loophole will be fudged for Brits with holiday homes in Spain. Properties in Spain will be much less desirable if one is told "if you spend March, April & May in your Spanish property.....you can't visit it again until September.....and you can't meanwhile spend a weekend in Paris because you've used up your allocation."

It's probably easiest to register for Spanish residency.

Like 1      
13 Feb 2020 3:51 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

In reality if Brits come and go to Spain for as long as they like, who really cares and what action will be taken against over stayers or those who should register as residents for the tax trap. PROBABLY NOTHING.no

Like 1      
13 Feb 2020 4:37 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

That may have been true back in the day Kavanagh but the 'times they are achanging'. Brexit and tighter controls will see to that.

Like 0      
13 Feb 2020 6:11 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Micky, you ignore the reality of financial greed; it’s what makes the world go round.cool

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Volunteering in Malaga/Rincon de la Victoria - 2 posts
Official information for UK nationals moving to or living in Spain, including guidance on residency, healthcare, passports and the Withdrawal Agreement. - 0 posts
Non Alcohol Wine - 2 posts
Requirement to carry passport - 36 posts
CGT on selling property - 3 posts
Registering as EU citizen - 76 posts
Brexit - 40 posts
amazon firestick - 17 posts
Will the Supreme Court grant Consumer Law status to Law 57/68 debate? - 2 posts
Tax rebate for British Erasmus student - 2 posts
All won cases by CostaLuz Lawyers-- off plan refunds and Floor Clause-- so far in 2020 - 0 posts
All won cases by Costaluz Lawyers-- off plan refunds--in 2019 - 0 posts
sparkey clarkey electrician - 1 posts
CGT - 5 posts
Taxes as an online teacher - 5 posts
Becoming an estate agent - 13 posts
bank charges - 5 posts
Planning bathroom upgrade should a bathroom fan be considered - 6 posts
Moving to Spain because of BREXIT - 8 posts
Alicante airport fire - 2 posts
Holiday home in Almeria - 4 posts
Garden Rubbish - 15 posts
healthcare working in Gib living in Spain - 6 posts
Mercadona Renovations - 4 posts
Costa Blanca - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x