Planning bathroom upgrade should a bathroom fan be considered

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Jan 2020 11:29 AM by TFiLondon Star rating in East Sussex. 29 posts Send private message

Hi, I am considering upgrading a bathroom in our apartment in Manilva, LED lighting, new tiling and changing bath for a shower tray etc.
(Don’t think we've ever used the bath for bathing.)  
This bathroom is internal, no window, built 15 years ago, has a "passive" air vent into a communal "chimney" that passes up through further three floors to the roof; there is no fan on the roof. 
Now would be an appropriate time to consider adding a bathroom fan, with run-on time control or humidistat control.  
We have never suffered any damp or condensation issue.
Can anyone offer any experience or advice?

Many thanks

Like 0      
17 Jan 2020 1:02 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

If you intend to install a fan I would suggest that you try to find one that runs almost silently. ( if one exists) Any noise would be magnified within the confines of a communal "chimney", and that may be why a fan wasn't installed in the first place.

Like 1      
17 Jan 2020 3:00 PM by Mrsubby Star rating. 75 posts Send private message

If there is a void for a fan then yes, not worth spending all that money then having a condensation issue.

even though you said there has never been a damp issue!

I am in the trade and always fit humidistat version with timed run on.

dont forget they remove smells too after toilet, especially if no window.

yes you can get a silent one, but the word silent doesn't really exist, do check out the decibels of the fans prior to purchase.

obviously the quiet versions art the cheapest.

all down to you, if you don't like it, disconnect it, at least it would provide some form of ventilation. 

Like 1      
22 Jan 2020 9:49 AM by TFiLondon Star rating in East Sussex. 29 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies, which confirm my thoughts to fit a fan.   Certainly, a low noise fan is a good idea, I may even buy the fan in the UK and take it with me for installation.

Do you have any thoughts on bathroom showers,?

Currently, both my showers have non-thermostatic valves and are run off a small gas boiler adjusting flow and temperature can be tricky for some of the family.

I would consider changing one to an electric shower to give an option when gas bottle runs out and to have an easier controllable temperature.

If anyone has any thoughts or experience please share.

Many thanks

Like 0      
29 Jan 2020 10:23 PM by Mrsubby Star rating. 75 posts Send private message

If you install an electric shower, remember you will need a 6mm electric cable or ideally a 10mm cable (Which is quite expensive) depending on the run of cable, you would then need a separate breaker for your consumer unit (rcbo type) 

also not great pressure, personally I would install a thermostically controlled shower bar, easy to change parts or unit if ever fails, safe for kids as it will have a limiter on it, also the pressure will be a lot better, if running from a combi boiler, otherwise you would have to fit a pump for great pressure , depends on your current system.A spare gas bottle is an easier option, or fit a pressure gauge to the gas bottle, then you know when to send the wife for a shower!!😃 hope that helps.

Like 1      
01 Feb 2020 12:10 PM by TFiLondon Star rating in East Sussex. 29 posts Send private message

Hi Mrsubby, thanks for the info, yes we run a combi boiler, nekker I believe.   A thermostatic shower bar sounds a good option, our current item is non-thermostatic.

Always found it difficult to get the water temperature right without the demand on the boiler going off.  It seems a fine adjust to the boiler flame is always required.   Are there any solutions you know off to this?

Like the idea of a pressure gauge to the gas bottle.

Many thanks 

Like 0      
06 Feb 2020 11:06 AM by Mrsubby Star rating. 75 posts Send private message

No problem glad to be of some help.

sorry I'm unable to answer your question re boiler.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Moving to Spain because of BREXIT - 8 posts
Alicante airport fire - 2 posts
Holiday home in Almeria - 4 posts
Garden Rubbish - 15 posts
healthcare working in Gib living in Spain - 6 posts
Mercadona Renovations - 4 posts
Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Joining two Apartments together in an Apartment Block - 7 posts
Security advice, please - 2 posts
Which area to live in Spain - 4 posts
How do I get my apartment back? - 12 posts
Does anyone actually understand reclaiming Witholding Tax on Share Dividends if you are a UK resident - 30 posts
Bank´s liability on custody of off plan funds - 56 posts
Merry Christmas from CostaLuz Lawyers - 0 posts
Caretaker Government in Madrid trying to block the planning amnesty for rural homes in Andalusia - 2 posts
How to pay non-residents tax from England - 16 posts
Mobile Phone - 6 posts
Ideas for holiday home by coast - 4 posts
Can someone help me please with a witholding tax reclaim via 210 - 71 posts
Non resident taxes - form 210 - 11 posts
Selling My Quarter Share of My Spanish Apartment - 2 posts
Campo living: how does a deposito work? - 12 posts
Extraordinary Quotas for Future Expenses for Spanish Communities - 8 posts
Car Parking at Malaga Airport - 14 posts
Low level crime and regulation - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x