Driving to spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 May 2019 6:25 PM by rosie0908 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I have to drive from Hertfordshire to Murcia with my dog this weekend or Monday at latest. I have sorted out the car insurance. I've got the euros....But nothing else. I'm going to buy 2 triangles for the car but here is the thing...It's an emergency situation and although I've been to Spain a few times I have never driven there, so can someone tell me the easist route for complete beginners and how i pay for toll roads. Thank you.

Like 0      
08 May 2019 7:46 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Toll roads you can pay by cash €s which you can get at any bank or by credit/debit card which you can also get at a bank.

Drive on the left once you reach Spain.

It is advisable to have a first aid kit, a bottle of water, some food, a blanket and a mobile phone with you.

This message was last edited by Kavanagh on 08/05/2019.

Like 1      
08 May 2019 7:50 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Never done it before, but I have looked at doing it myself in the past. Driving through France would be the best and quickest, as opposed to boat to Santander. Google Maps shows several options. I imagine the toll booths have options to pay by cash or credit card, they have on the AP-7, so I see no reason it would be any different. Don't forget your hi viz and beam converters, plus GB sticker if not on your number plates. You are supposed to have a breathalyser in France, but in reality the law isn't enforced and the fine is only 15€ anyway. 

How are you navigating? A phone using Google Maps allows you to download the route to conserve data. Something like a Garmin or TomTom with Euro maps are better in my opinion, if you have one.

Mark

Like 1      
09 May 2019 8:32 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

I drive the route from France to Spain twice a year with my dog. I NEVER pay tolls. I have an established route I always use. Essentially the N10 to Bordeaux then to Pau avoiding the centre then the Somport tunnel, down to Zaragoza, then Valencia to your destination on the coast. I use pet-friendly Ibis hotels at Lascar Pau and Zaragoza. The Ibis at Valencia airport is also convenient. To enjoy the trip I never drive more than 4 - 5 hours per day.

Via Michelin will offer this route in detail if you add the filter no tolls.

This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 09/05/2019.

Like 2      
09 May 2019 8:49 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Do you use more fuel and does it take longer by avoiding Toll roads?

Like 0      
09 May 2019 9:00 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

No because if you examine that route most of it is on free motorways built by the EU. The only none motorway section is around Pau to the Somport Tunnel and down to Huesca but they are improving it currently. The ecologist's pressure group will not, however, allow development in the Aspe valley on the French side of the Pyrenees so that remains a beautiful section and much slower for about 50km.

Like 1      
09 May 2019 9:44 AM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Slightly off thread. I went on the AP7 two days ago and from what I could see I was the only one on it. 30 pay toll booths and not a car in sight. All that time and money building them, for what?

Like 1      
09 May 2019 10:13 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Road trips are a joy in Spain and France precisely because the roads are uncongested. Cheap flights take most of the tourist traffic and trucks are banned on Sundays. What's not to like?

Like 1      
09 May 2019 1:11 PM by rosie0908 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thank you for all your replies as I'm really nervous. You have been very informative. It's one if those things - you learn as you go along. 

Like 0      
09 May 2019 1:22 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Don’t be nervous, look at it as an exciting adventure. Your dog will love it.

Like 1      
09 May 2019 1:28 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Don't be nervous, Rosie. The worst part of the entire journey without any doubt will be getting from Hertfordshire to the Channel. Just relax, take your time, enjoy the scenery. You'll be fine. ¡Buen viaje!

(P.S. ignore earlier the advice to drive on the left once you reach Spain - it was either a reference to bad Spanish driving habits or just a wind up!)

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
09 May 2019 1:49 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Sorry Roberto and Rosie, steering wheel on the left, drive on the right. Dementia setting in.

Like 0      
09 May 2019 2:12 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

laugh

Excused! But we should point out that if Rosie is driving though France, she does need to switch to driving on the right long before reaching Spain!! And assuming that she can't move her steering wheel over, just take extra care (or avoid) overtaking.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
09 May 2019 8:04 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

Rosie,

As has been said there is no need to be nervous, but do be aware and alert.  If you stop in a motorway service station, or anywhere that tourists are stopping always check your wheels before you set off again. 

You may find a piece of wood with a nail through it just under your tyre, so after a mile or so you have a puncture.  You are then a bit vulnerable to someone who is following you and offers to help, but is really after your luggage.

It seems to be less common these days, so really very unlikely - but if you check all your tyres before you re-commence driving you avoid the problem - and the cost of new tyres!

The drive itself, whichever route, is a doddle.  I find having a lot of small change helps.

This message was last edited by acer on 09/05/2019.

Like 1      
09 May 2019 8:27 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

** EDITED - Against forum rules- inciting **

This message was last edited by eos_ian on 5/10/2019 9:51:00 AM.

Like 1      
10 May 2019 9:23 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

It is good that Rosie and others are aware of the risk and know how to avoid it.

Like 0      
10 May 2019 10:25 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

Like all activity in life, risks exist everywhere however in more than 30 years going back and forth to France and Spain I have never experienced any problems. Here are a few of my do's and donts.

Never stop for anyone who flags you down or tries to distract you. Be particularly vigilant on motorways that circumnavigate large cities such as Barcelona.

If a police officer in uniform flags you down stay in the car lock the doors and wait until you see an ID. If none produced visibly call 112 on a mobile. If the cop is bogus he will run for it.  Make a note of the policeman's badge number. It is always displayed on their uniform jacket.

If you stop at a service station leave a passenger with the car. Never leave it unattended.

When paying for fuel lock the car. Never leave it unattended even for a minute.

If you have a hire car remove the company logo from the back window. Its a flag saying, vulnerable tourist. 

Like 3      
10 May 2019 3:42 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If a police officer in uniform flags you down stay in the car lock the doors and wait until you see an ID. If none produced visibly call 112 

Good advice but who knows what a genuine police ID is ?

At one time I knew what a real London Met police one looked like but I would have no idea now 

When the police just had a warrant card, it was a small black fold over.  On the outside in gold letters it said METROPOLITAN POLICE.   Most officers in plain clothes just showed the outside and it was almost always accepted as ID !!!!

Like 0      
10 May 2019 4:39 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

John - Spanish cops of all types have their ID registration on display on their uniform blouse as do genuine security guards. Always look for that.

Like 0      
10 May 2019 5:48 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

I doubt there is any full proof answers to this.

The days of the Sweeney and we haven’t had any dinner are in the past, also the days of the imitation rag bag police officer wearing trainers have gone.

Perhaps always call 112, sadly that’s the way it is now.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What buisness would be good idea. (Legally ) - 2 posts
Power of Attorney - 5 posts
Fuerteventura bank account - 2 posts
swimming pool construction - 0 posts
Retiral - 15 posts
area recomendations - 5 posts
Fight keeps going! Costaluz Lawyers won cases in 2018 and 2019 - 34 posts
Problems with a builder - 22 posts
Court Advice - 2 posts
25 Brexit need to knows ( Martin Lewis) - 94 posts
Maria de Castro in Alcaidesa - 2 posts
Ron - 17 posts
Love spain - 5 posts
Alcaidesa, Sotogrande, San Roque, Estepona, Tarifa, Alcalá, San Pablo, Jimena, Gaucín... - 3 posts
NIE - 3 posts
Mortgage problems with Sabadell Bank? - 0 posts
Today´s European Commission - Press release on ‘No-deal' Brexit preparedness - 0 posts
NIE new form - 3 posts
Traffic Fines - Phishing scam - 3 posts
Help - Father passed away - can't get money from Bank - 7 posts
Game of Thrones Season 8 - 3 posts
Short-term rental contract help - 2 posts
Big valuations of the past are favourable for you now if you want to sell your Spanish property - 0 posts
Abandoned Villages in Spain: come and buy one! - 0 posts
Is the EU responsible for Brexit chaos - 207 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 32

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x