Help - Father passed away - can't get money from Bank

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 Apr 2019 1:31 PM by Tandy Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

2 years ago my Father passed away.  Only now feel I can sort things out in Spain.  He has a bank account, and I'm trying to get access to the funds.  Does anyone know a good trustworty lawyer in Los Boliches area (Fuengirola) who will help - with good English as my Spanish is limited.  Bank keeps telling me to get a Solicitor and won't do anything more than that.  The one solicitor I thought was going to help is now not replying to my Emails.  He replied once to tell me how much it would cost me, but now not replying to my Emails when I ask what the procedure is and what the costs are for.  Feeling lost.  Dad lived in Spain for years but came back to UK.  My brother and I are the beneficiaries.  Have all UK documentation, ie. will, Probate etc.  Any help would be appreciated.   Tanya

Like 0      
09 Apr 2019 2:15 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

Hello Tandy and welcome to EOS

Before we start giving advice on what costs and efforts are worth taking, what amount of money is in your passed away fathers Spanish bank account?

Like 0      
09 Apr 2019 3:28 PM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Hi tandy

Is there a Property involved or did your  Dad sell when he moved back to thev UK. Another thing did your Dad make a Spanish Will or is this Bank Account covered under the Enfglish Will. Once  the Death Cerificate is shown to the Bank, 50 percent of the Bank Account is frozen untill Inheritance tax has been paid in Spain.

This message was last edited by nigel188 on 09/04/2019.

Nigel

Like 0      
09 Apr 2019 8:15 PM by Tandy Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thank you for taking the time to read.  My father sold a property he was living in, paid his Spanish taxes on the sale, moved back to UK, but left money in Spain.  He requested my name to go on the Spanish bank account as he was getting older but left the money in the account.  He made a Uk will which mentions his assets include any Spanish funds.  The will states his assets go to my brother and I.  The bank won’t give me any idea of what I have to do other than go through legal procedures.  

Like 0      
09 Apr 2019 8:44 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1315 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

But Andy & Tan how much is in Spanish bank?

Why cannot Welsh lawyer sort this out and why you employ him/her when you live France?

For any member to give good advice we need a bit more of story.

This message was last edited by Kavanagh on 10/04/2019.

This message was last edited by Kavanagh on 10/04/2019.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2019 2:14 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Tandy:

Your dad´s bank accounts are blocked because according to Article 8 of Law 29/1987 of Inheritance and Gift Tax, (LISD) if the bank delivers the money or securities before the IHT tax has been paid, they will be subsidiarily responsible for the payment of said inheritance tax.

Law allows banks to provide money to heirs  for the payment of such tax.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
03 Oct 2019 5:06 PM by Tandy Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Just some feedback on my experience of legal advice in Spain, Fuengirola.  A fantastic solicitor, competent, friendly, English speaking, thorough, and well worth it.  Offices in Fuengirola and other areas.  Needed advice to gain access to late Father’s funds in bank in Fuengirola.  All now sorted thanks to solicitor.  Details as follows - can’t recommend highly enough - 

A** EDITED - Against forum rules ** García Vena 
Lawyer –  ** EDITED - Against forum rules **(Law Society of Córdoba)

Calle Del Capitán, 12, 4ª
29640, Fuengirola .

Thank you.

Tanya

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

Like 1      
04 Oct 2019 11:24 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Congratulations, Tandy!

Good for good lawyers!

M

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Game of Thrones Season 8 - 3 posts
Short-term rental contract help - 2 posts
Big valuations of the past are favourable for you now if you want to sell your Spanish property - 0 posts
Abandoned Villages in Spain: come and buy one! - 0 posts
Is the EU responsible for Brexit chaos - 207 posts
New to the community! - 1 posts
Finding a reliable contractor - 5 posts
itv - 4 posts
NIE number online? - 1 posts
Firstone.tv shut down - 12 posts
Patronising "No Reply" email - 153 posts
UK Registered Car - 18 posts
Contingency Decree for Hard Brexit - 4 posts
New Mortgage Act in Spain - 0 posts
New Royal Decree on Housing Rental - 0 posts
Anyone in Illora, Granada - 1 posts
Resin sun loungers - 2 posts
Buying apartment - Fees - 48 posts
Manchester House Buyers - 1 posts
Ammex Administrators - Sabinillas - 3 posts
Northerners - 7 posts
WH Smith Corvera Airport Rip Off Water - 10 posts
Introduction - 1 posts
Tax and Residency - Staying in Spain between 3 months and 6 months a year - 6 posts
mobility scooter - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x