Property over two streets

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Aug 2017 6:20 PM by chilipadi Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Does anyone have experience of buying a townhouse that stretches over two streets? The property I am interested in is being sold as one but has two sets of title deeds.  What would this mean in terms of taxes etc?  Would this mean two sets of IBI/garbage charges even though it would be being used as one dwelling?  I am yet to ask these questions to a lawyer (I haven't put an offer in yet) but was just wondering if anyone out there had information about this.

Thank you!

Like 0      
06 Aug 2017 7:12 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

My son has an apartment which was bought with a garage  space.  The two have separate escrituras . He pays taxes for two properties.   I have a property with a garage, a storeroom and a garage space-.They are in one escritura. I get one set of taxes

Like 0      
06 Aug 2017 7:58 PM by chilipadi Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thank you!  Very helpful.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2017 8:59 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

One of my properties has an address street and house number for the rear which also has the entry to my garage, the front entrance has another number and if you like street name, I have only one deeds and pay only one set of taxes.

Like 0      
07 Aug 2017 1:33 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Two seperate deeds means two lots of taxes (IBI). Only one deed does not necessarily mean only one lot of taxes though, as you can have more than one property listed on the same deed. I have one deed only for an apartment and a garage in the same building; the apartment & garage have seperate catastral references though, therefore seperate IBI bills.

Chilipadi, if this property is being offered by an estate agent, the agent is legally obliged to hold all the relevant information - you don't need to ask (pay) a lawyer at this stage. If it is being offered privately, the seller should be happy to provide the same information. If they are hesitant or unforthcoming when you ask - walk away.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
07 Aug 2017 10:11 AM by chilipadi Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thank you Roberto and baz1946 - I will ask the estate agent today!

This message was last edited by chilipadi on 07/08/2017.

Like 0      
07 Aug 2017 12:34 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Do bear in mind that whilst the agent should be able to answer your questions easily enough regarding the IBI / basura etc., they are only interested in selling the property, so will not necessarily interpret this information or explain anything in any great detail (even if they understand the situation themselves), so do proceed with caution. You will need an independent lawyer (not one recommended by the agent) if you do wish to make an offer and take it further. It's very common in Spain for large family homes to have been divided up between family members - or for adjoining properties to have been combined, added to, altered etc. etc., quite often totally illegally. Since such properties were kept witin the same family, they got away with it (and/or because they're Spansih, of course) but once it changes hands (especially into the open arms of an unsuspecting foreigner) that's when the problems can arise.

Be careful...and good luck with your property hunting!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Long term renting in Spain - 0 posts
I am selling my property and have an Estate Agent doing this. - 4 posts
Thinking of moving to Spain - 10 posts
What happened with last thread regarding case and costs recovered? - 0 posts
Reporting loss of vehicle in Spain - WARNING - 0 posts
Risk of letting a relative stay in a property rent free? - 8 posts
Information on Almunecar.... Costa Tropical - 0 posts
Malaga Airport Delays - 14 posts
Lapsed Habitation Certificate - 5 posts
Voucher codes - 0 posts
airport delays - 11 posts
life Insurance on Mortgage - 15 posts
Medical etc - 0 posts
Car Hire Murcia Airport - 5 posts
Bats - 3 posts
Foster carers Needed - 0 posts
183 day rule - 24 posts
Endesa electricity bills - 13 posts
Charlie Gard - 0 posts
TRANSFERRING EUROS back to UK. - 12 posts
Compare costs of living - 13 posts
motorcycle registration - 5 posts
empty property - 6 posts
capital gains tax query - 1 posts
Communal Electricity Charges - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x