Thinking of moving to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Aug 2017 2:22 PM by EmmaM Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi all, just wondered if you could please offer me some advice? My husband and I are seriously considering moving to Spain with our two children aged 3 and 4. We have talked about it for years but feel if we don't do it soon we never will due to the children starting school soon and I want them to be young enough to pick up the language. I am a chiropodist so I would be looking to set up a practice somewhere with a large retired expat population but we would also be looking to live in an area with expats a similar age to us (30s). Have you any suggestions on what areas would be suitable and are there still areas with large numbers of expats? We have been looking at costa Blanca and costa del sol. From what I have been reading there are a lot of expats who have had to leave Spain due to the financial crisis and lack of jobs, is this still the case? My husband has his own business which he can do anywhere so work shouldn't be a problem for him but I don't speak any Spanish yet so I would depend on the expat communities for work. Also 

Like 0      
05 Aug 2017 6:39 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

All of the expat communities I've encountered are largely older folk.  Of course youngsters come out during the spring and summer, but I think you're out of luck.

But I would have thought you might be better off abandoning the the 30 plus age group idea and just find a large community without a chiropodist.  The old gits aren't too bad and they probably have more need of your skills than the youngsters.

Like 1      
05 Aug 2017 8:31 PM by DANNI1 Star rating. 24 posts Send private message

Hi Emma,

We too are looking to move to spain in spring 2018. To Nerja. We are going to rent at first and rent out our house in UK. We have two girls aged 9 and 6. My husband could consult in spain for the same company or we may start a business of our own but for the first eyar we will just enjoy life. We are starting to learn spanish as a family in sept. We are 37 and 35 years old. We did buy an apartment off plan in 2006 so have NIE numbers etc and know a little about moving out there. My parent also lived there for many years but in the Castellon de la plana area.

It would be nice to chat more....

Danni xx

Like 0      
09 Aug 2017 5:16 PM by EmmaM Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks Danni and Acer. What made you decide on Nerja Danni? I keep looking online and there are that many places I don't know where to start! Yes Acer I think the retired expats will be who I need to aim for, any ideas on which towns to look at? We are planning on going over in October for 8-10 days but not sure if we will manage to visit both costa deal sol and costa Blanca on that one trip and can't decide between the two!

Like 0      
09 Aug 2017 8:09 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

EmmaM,

You don't say if you intend to have a mobile practice or operate from a surgery.  There are quite a few allied trades that you may wish to approach for a business connection.  If you don't speak fluent Spanish you need to find the ex-pat communities.

In Murcia which I know best there's several of good ex-pat enclaves - probably top of my list would be Bolnuevo on the coast just west of Mazarron, a very pleasant slightly up market community lively and not too seasonal.  A few miles inland there is Mazarron Country Club and also Camposol, but I imagine there will be at least one chiropodist  already at the latter, but it's an active place all year.  Some tourist areas are very quiet out of season.

There are ex-pats comunities in Cartagena, Mazarron, puerto de Mazarron, Murcia city and Aguilas but they are a bit fragmented and I imagine you'll struggle to get the name around too quickly.  There's also eastwards around Los Alcazares, near San Javier airport which is another good place to be, but the communitites are more mixed.

Good luck

Like 0      
09 Aug 2017 9:51 PM by DANNI1 Star rating. 24 posts Send private message

Hi Emma,

nice to hear from you. Not entirely sure why nerja, love the look of it, very Spanish. We have travelled around alot and want to be bear the beach. Schools seem good. They also have national park right next to it. Skiing in winter. It seems to have it all. We also going in October for four nights to view schools and maybe houses to rent. It really depends what your criteria is apart from ex pat community.

its all very exciting. Please keep me updated xx Danni

Like 0      
12 Aug 2017 4:36 AM by EmmaM Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi guys, sounds good Danni, we might have to give Nerja a look ourselves! Acer thanks so much for the suggestions, it's not an area I am familiar with but just looked online and it sounds lovely so it gives us something else to consider. I would be looking at being clinic based, thanks for the advice. 😊

Like 0      
18 Aug 2017 3:09 PM by removals Star rating in Fuengirola. 14 posts Send private message

Theres lots of expats in Nerja not just Brits last time i was there i met lots of Canadians who have settled!

Like 0      
19 Aug 2017 8:35 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you intend looking for a job ..I would suggest you learn to speak Spanish...otherwise you are going to end up like the rest of them...working cash in hand for pocket money within the expat community... or worst still working in a Brit bar/cleaning swimming pools/cleaning holiday apartments cash in hand ...this is what is classed as normal everyday life  for expatriates....your Chance's of getting a job working  as a legal employee are very slim if you do not speak Spanish fluently ...the majority of expats I know that are working…. are self employed ...a self employment NI stamp will cost you approximately €260 per month you will have to pay this even if you have no work on..you are also obliged to charge and collect VAT for the government VAT is charged on every Euro you earn.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 19/08/2017.

Like 1      
20 Aug 2017 1:50 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Likewise you have to inform the UK authorities of your intention to move and work abroad (if longer than 8 weeks) and need to be fully aware of the UK Government's rules and regulations and all the required declarations.

Presumably both Governments are keen to protect against abuse of their systems (not that I'm suggeting you would abuse) but there have been many who remain ignorant of their obligations and the risk of backpayments etc if fraud is identified.

At the end of the day it's in everyone's interests that fraudulent activity and correct declarations are enforced with adequately monitored systems and disincentives in place to protect each country, to the hopeful benefit of the majority of law abiding european citizens each side of the channel.

It's a sensitive subject but imporatant nevertheless when considering a move abroad.

Good luck in your aspirations but realistic research is essential especially when moving families abroad.

Like 1      
21 Aug 2017 12:21 AM by scoats Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi Emma 

My husband and I have owned a property in Benalmadena for a few years and recently moved to Benalmadena Pueblo. Benalmadena has a huge expat community.  We thought about moving to Alicante a few years ago because you get bigger properties for your money and we did reserve a property there before the credit crunch, thankfully only lost a small deposit, but decided against it as we love Costa del Sol so much.  We plan to move next year for good. Good luck no matter where you decide, both areas are nice.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What happened with last thread regarding case and costs recovered? - 0 posts
Reporting loss of vehicle in Spain - WARNING - 0 posts
Risk of letting a relative stay in a property rent free? - 8 posts
Information on Almunecar.... Costa Tropical - 0 posts
Malaga Airport Delays - 14 posts
Lapsed Habitation Certificate - 5 posts
Voucher codes - 0 posts
airport delays - 11 posts
life Insurance on Mortgage - 15 posts
Medical etc - 0 posts
Car Hire Murcia Airport - 5 posts
Bats - 3 posts
Foster carers Needed - 0 posts
183 day rule - 24 posts
Endesa electricity bills - 13 posts
Charlie Gard - 0 posts
TRANSFERRING EUROS back to UK. - 12 posts
Compare costs of living - 13 posts
motorcycle registration - 5 posts
empty property - 6 posts
capital gains tax query - 1 posts
Communal Electricity Charges - 10 posts
Do not Text & Drive-It is not worth it - 3 posts
Case Won and Deposit plus Interest recovered. - 11 posts
Electricity theft. Any advice/suggestion? - 17 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x