Communal Electricity Charges

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Jul 2017 7:13 PM by moules Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

We are in a block of 8 apartments. We have a garage each in the basement. There is only one electric meter for all the garages.The community divides the bill 8 ways but has no rules to limit the private use within the garages. People have all sorts of permanently plugged in appliances in their garages. I have none so I am paying their bills for them. No one in the Community is interested in changing this unfair situation. Suggestions please.

Like 0      
23 Jul 2017 9:36 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

What kind of appliances could be permanantly plugged-in in a garage?

I would suggest that the actual electricity cost would be minimal and by far the greater amount would be the standing charges, tax etc. 

Steve

Steve.

Like 0      
23 Jul 2017 9:45 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

Freezers use alot of electricity in hot countries 

Like 1      
23 Jul 2017 10:12 PM by moules Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

The appliances permantly plugged in are chest freezers & fridge freezers. Someone has a bank of computers they work on 8 hours a day 365 days a year. All my research tells me that electricity cost is all about how many hours thngs are plugged in for not what their power rating is.

Some of the bill goes towards genuine community electric as the garages hae a centrally lit area with stairs etc but it isn´t possible to seperate the bill.

Like 0      
23 Jul 2017 10:17 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

If you accidentally trip the power every now and then you might discourage the freezer users.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2017 4:18 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Moules The community divides the bill 8 ways but has no rules to limit the private use within the garages. People have all sorts of permanently plugged in appliances in their garages

No rules, so unless you can get the community to vote a change on that, . you have no choice but to pay up and smile.

All my research tells me that electricity cost is all about how many hours things are plugged in for not what their power rating is.

The amount of electricity consumed is what the rating is (how many Kilowatts per hour) multiplied by the time they are consuming electricity.   Thus a  3 bar electric fire will normally consume 3 kilowatts per hour: a 100w bulb 10 hours = I KW  (1,000 divided by 100)

Like 1      
24 Jul 2017 4:47 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If all other party's are happy with the 8 way split on the bill...you could be making trouble for yourself if you complained if l was you I would get my fair share of the community electricity ..and buy a freezer for the garage happy days problem solved ..( l wonder how much your share of the bill is)... taking into account the standing charge.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 24/07/2017.

Like 0      
24 Jul 2017 5:03 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Along the same lines, some years ago I was the president of a community of 20 homes, Most were Spanish owned. The water supply was through one meter. The bill was divided by 20, but that meant the actual cost was considerably more than it would have been with each one of us having our own meter.

It took a while for me to convince the Spanish owners that separate meters would be cheaper.

When eventually the meters were installed,  only a couple of neighbours had the good grace to thank me and agree their bills were about 5% of what they had been

So maybe Moules if you keeping trying you may succeed

Like 1      
24 Jul 2017 6:24 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

John I would have thought that the water would have been cheaper for some and more expensive for others That's why only two thanked you In our comunidad the water is metered as a whole and shared in the community charge Most apartments are only occupied in the summer So residents like myself benefit from the charges being split equally 

Like 1      
24 Jul 2017 7:20 PM by moules Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I´ve aske a lawyer informally about it. She said it wasn´t uncommon. Said usually there is  rule saying noplugged in appliances & they scuritinise the bills carefully or they have a rule that those without appliances get a % refund.My lot aren´t interested.

It seems daft to me that when we are asked for extra community funds for decorating etc that they can´t see that those funds have already been spent on private non communal electric use

Like 1      
25 Jul 2017 3:44 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

scuba    John I would have thought that the water would have been cheaper for some and more expensive for others

I did not want to explain the whole thing but:-

The initial water supply was a continuation of the water supplied to the builder for building the properties. That is charged at higher rate than domestic water.

Also with a domestic supply (in our town) the first 20 cu metres per bill are very cheap and then price increases gradually.

With the initial supply there was no cheap fist amount, however, with each of us having our own meter we each had 20 cu metres per quarter at the very low rate.

It meant that even the largest users' new bills were about 5% of what each of us was paying when the one bill was divided between

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Do not Text & Drive-It is not worth it - 3 posts
Case Won and Deposit plus Interest recovered. - 11 posts
Electricity theft. Any advice/suggestion? - 17 posts
Keith - 1 posts
Your mortgage sold to a third party - 15 posts
Are there any glaziers on Condado de Alhama or campasol please - 1 posts
Form 210, cadastral value, and calculating taxable base - 2.0% or 1.1% ? - 6 posts
RAYME - 0 posts
December - 0 posts
Cubic Meters - 7 posts
Supreme Court and Court costs against banks in Floor Clause cases - 2 posts
Google Ads on blogs - 2 posts
Malaga Airport Pickup / Drop Off Issues - 6 posts
Volunteers Needed - 0 posts
Spanish health care versus NHS.......No contest - 65 posts
Green Card - 4 posts
Polaris Creditors list available - 0 posts
Private yoga classes offered - 0 posts
Torre Del Mar rental required with my small dog? - 0 posts
Internet Access just for the Summer months - 5 posts
Is there the equivalent of a Crime Prevention Officer in Spain - 2 posts
New here, just about to complete in Benamargosa - 1 posts
Ingofersa developments in Garrucha from 2004 that were never built - 0 posts
American - Property near Tarragona, Catalonia - 4 posts
Road tax and insurance in spain - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x