motorcycle registration

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jul 2017 12:56 PM by mossoo Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi,

i am due to retire in a few years and intend to retire to spain. if you export a motorcycle to spain from the uk, can you keep the british plate or does it have to be re registered? can anyone please advise

Like 0      
25 Jul 2017 2:04 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

No, it can't stay on UK plates. Just like a car it has to be registered in Spain if it, and you, stay over 6 months. If you intend to live in Spain permanently then the process needs to be started within 30 days of arrival.

Plus, motorcycles also need an MOT. You would have to take it back to UK for this to be done as you can't have a Spanish ITV on a foreign registered vehicle.

Like 0      
25 Jul 2017 2:56 PM by mossoo Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thank you very much, I new about the car plates but was'nt sure with the bikes. Thanks again for confirming

Like 0      
25 Jul 2017 3:27 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This is an EOS post from  'Goldwing' a few years back

i have done it.

first thing is the bike in your name on the v5, if possible do that.

if not you will need a letter / contract to prove you have purchased bike along the original v5, the receipt for bike should show chassis number & reg. number.

you will then need to insure your bike is roadworthy & has a speedo that shows Kilometers per hour (odo is fine in Miles).

also your headlight must NOT swing to the left.

you will then need to get an engineers report (aprox €100), this has basic details of dimensions of weights / size of bike.

I did have a C of C but that was rejected by ITV station (!) because it did not show above. 

You will then need to take all your paperwork to ITV station & have an import ITV, this is slightly more than normal (i think €70).

They will check, brakes, lights, horn, engine noise etc.

If past they will then issue you with the next set of papers you will have to go to the local vehicle tax office.

There is a sliding scale on bikes depending on size & age (i paid about 350 on a 1150 cc 7 year old bike).

your 250cc will be a lot less.

once you have paid that its off to trafico to get the rest of papers.

With papers you can then get your number plate

Process is not too difficult but not overly cheap

This message was last edited by johnzx on 25/07/2017.

Like 0      
25 Jul 2017 5:08 PM by mossoo Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hmmm, thank you. I think it might be safer to sell in uk and buy a Spanish one!!!

thanks again

Like 1      
25 Jul 2017 5:54 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Moss,  Great idea.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

empty property - 6 posts
capital gains tax query - 1 posts
Communal Electricity Charges - 10 posts
Do not Text & Drive-It is not worth it - 3 posts
Case Won and Deposit plus Interest recovered. - 11 posts
Electricity theft. Any advice/suggestion? - 17 posts
Keith - 1 posts
Your mortgage sold to a third party - 15 posts
Are there any glaziers on Condado de Alhama or campasol please - 1 posts
Form 210, cadastral value, and calculating taxable base - 2.0% or 1.1% ? - 6 posts
RAYME - 0 posts
December - 0 posts
Cubic Meters - 7 posts
Supreme Court and Court costs against banks in Floor Clause cases - 2 posts
Google Ads on blogs - 2 posts
Malaga Airport Pickup / Drop Off Issues - 6 posts
Volunteers Needed - 0 posts
Spanish health care versus NHS.......No contest - 65 posts
Green Card - 4 posts
Polaris Creditors list available - 0 posts
Private yoga classes offered - 0 posts
Torre Del Mar rental required with my small dog? - 0 posts
Internet Access just for the Summer months - 5 posts
Is there the equivalent of a Crime Prevention Officer in Spain - 2 posts
New here, just about to complete in Benamargosa - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x