Problem neighbour

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
09 May 2017 2:27 PM by Weescottie Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

How do I handle this?   My elderly English neighbour appeared on my lower balcony last night throwing stuff about.  When I went out she retreated to her own balcony threatening me and shouting terrible abuse for about 3 hours.  She'd quieten for a while then come rattle my gate, call my name then start again.  Her husband didn't intervene, I guess it was giving him a break.  I think she may have mental health issues, but that is their problem not mine.  I live alone most of the time and find it very scary.  This morning she appears on her balcony, full of the joys of spring, munching her coco pops like nothing's happened?  I live on a community, do I report to the president or denounce?  Maybe the impending full moon tipped her over the edge??? I nearly did !

Like 1      
09 May 2017 10:20 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I would suggest you start by trying to have a quiet word with the husband, and perhaps gently suggest that he puts a padlock on the drinks cabinet.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
09 May 2017 11:28 PM by Weescottie Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

That's probably a big part of the problem....usual kick off time is late evening!  My husband suggests a taser.....joking!   

Like 0      
10 May 2017 12:51 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you are not the guilty party'...then you should go to the police and let them sort it out.

Like 1      
10 May 2017 4:54 AM by Weescottie Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

I think perhaps that is the route I need to go down.  Perhaps a little visit from them might be just the wake up call they need.   It's quite intimidating if I'm there solo especially now her behaviour is escalating.  I'm such a quiet non-confrontational person that I've just put up with it until now thinking perhaps she has Alzheimer's or similar but enough is enough.   I won't approach them directly, frankly I'm a bit scared of the reaction I might get.   When we moved in other neighbours did warn me she was a 'bit highly strung' , ha she's that all right plus a bit more.  

Like 0      
10 May 2017 8:31 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Suggest you enlist the help of your community president first

If that doesn't work then the police is the only answer

Like 2      
10 May 2017 8:36 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Any anti social behaviour laws in Spain?

I was reading these posts and just wondering if any local community agencies or councils have powers similar to those in the UK to visit and warn of behaviour as a first step approach.  Sometimes going straight to the police may make the lady worse.   Just on the basis that if she is an alcoholic she won't give a monkeys about her behaviour when she's drunk.

A local agency might provide some support as well as telling her off (perhaps).  That can be organised over here through housing sections of the council.  

Just a thought. 

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
10 May 2017 9:48 AM by Weescottie Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Maybe I'll have a word with the President first, he is very approachable and has been very helpful to date with all my various newbie queries.  I'm guessing he may already be aware of the problem.  Unfortunately he was away the other night when it was kicking off,  he certainly couldn't have missed it, there was a fair old commotion...onwards and upwards....

Like 0      
15 May 2017 6:41 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Perhaps you should keep a bucket of water on your upper balcony and accidentally trip over it when you come out to see what the noise is all about?

How could anyone complain if you accidentally tipped water on your own lower balcony?

Like 0      
15 May 2017 7:25 PM by Weescottie Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

I have a hose! Liking your thinking.......  joking!

This message was last edited by Weescottie on 16/05/2017.

Like 0      
16 May 2017 1:30 PM by BREXIT Star rating. 41 posts Send private message

Perhaps something stronger in the bucket.

Like 0      
16 May 2017 1:54 PM by Weescottie Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Wine???  Then I can drink it myself and all will be okay with the world???

Like 0      
19 May 2017 10:36 AM by Kerris Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello, hopefully you have got this sorted? Not a nice situation. 

Like 0      
19 May 2017 4:21 PM by Weescottie Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

Update, the president has been informed, I have secured my downstairs balcony and have come back to Scotland for a few days....let's see how things are on my return....I will have zero tolerance next time, no more Mrs Nice Guy x. I think that's been part of the problem, so easy going that I've been seen as an easy target....Mrs Meldrew on steroids next time!

Like 1      
19 May 2017 5:06 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Mrs Scottie  I see the info I posted re how make a complaint to the police has been removed, so if you, or anyone else,  wants me to explain again,  just PM me,

Like 0      
19 May 2017 5:23 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

That's the spirit weescottie go for it 

Like 0      
19 May 2017 7:16 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Don't get yourself arrested!  Sometimes the psychos win battles!!!

Best wishes, Brian

Like 0      
19 May 2017 8:17 PM by taddandbaz Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Don’t throw spirit on her, too expensive.

Tadd and baz

Like 0      
19 May 2017 11:29 PM by Weescottie Star rating. 37 posts Send private message

No way, I'm Scottish....I wouldn't waste it!    It will all settle down I'm sure...heard from president today, he's on board and there is already a recognised problem with them so at least feel I have some back up....feeling positive, thank you all for your support x

Like 0      
20 May 2017 8:43 AM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

The jokey suggestions are great but it sounds like there are serious mental issues and the good thing must be to first have a sit down, serious conversation with the husband. 

He is responsible and probably needs to be nicely told that he has to take action.  He may have just got used to her behavoir or be in denial, but for everyone's benefit, including her's, that must be the right approach.  The husband must be persuaded to seek medical help for her.  By ignoring the cause of the problem it's likely to get worse.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

I want to move to spain - 33 posts
Does owning a B and B class as being employed and eligible for healthcare - 1 posts
AGM - 3 posts
6 berth uk spec caravan with AIR CONDITIONING - 0 posts
Seeking Advice on Transportation of Belongings to Spain - 11 posts
Trailers - 1 posts
Damp Kitchen Problem - 33 posts
All inclusive holidays - 14 posts
Advice on changing ownership of car, - 11 posts
property taxes - 7 posts
trying to find a tax advisor in torrevieja called Andrew - 5 posts
Semi detached 3 bedroom house for sale in Tías - Lanzarote (Canary Islands) - 0 posts
Help! UK TV SERVICE NEEDED - 3 posts
I have received a bill from Patronato de Recaudacion Provincial - 5 posts
ALL AIFOS´BANK GUARANTEES NOW AVAILABLE - 23 posts
Ads Covering Page - 5 posts
Irish Passport - 11 posts
Cheapest site fees in Murcia - 2 posts
Renting for the first time locally to la cala and surrounding - 0 posts
Moving to calahonda - Schooling - 11 posts
filmon now charging - 8 posts
Social Security Papers - 1 posts
Wanted - Treadmill - 0 posts
NIE Number - 18 posts
property ownership - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 23

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x