Irish Passport

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 May 2017 11:21 AM by sandman Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Looking to buy a place in Spain,I am English but I am thinking of getting a Irish passport just in case of the fallout from Brexit just looking to cover my backside  ( I can get one as my mum is Irish )  what are people's thoughts on this has anyone else gone done this or thinking of doing it.

Like 0      
02 May 2017 1:58 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

My mum was born in Ulster.  

Ireland consider anyone born in the island of Ireland as being Irish.

In 2010 I applied for an Irish passport. At that time it was free for those over 65 and very straightforward.  I have not renewed my British passport.

My son is applying on the grounds that his grandmother was born in Ulster, but the process for that is quite convoluted.

Sandman,   I would defiantly recommend you get an Irish PP

Like 0      
02 May 2017 6:12 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

johnzx

A lot of people are asking this question now

Why can't your son simply claim Irish citizneship if you (his father) is an Irish citizen rather than grandparents? The procees I beleive is the same

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html#l091af

Extract from link above

Irish citizen parents born outside Ireland

If you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was born outside Ireland, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen.

Like 0      
02 May 2017 7:05 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I said my mother was born in Ireland that is why I was able to claim Irish Nationality.

My son as I said is claiming through his grandmother and that is considerably more complicated, Take my word for it my son is doing it. 

Amongst a lot of other docs. he needs my mother's birth cert, her marriage cert. her death cert, my birth cert, my first marriage cert, my divorce decree nisi, my second marriage cert. from Philippines etc

This message was last edited by johnzx on 02/05/2017.

Like 0      
02 May 2017 7:29 PM by sandman Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

I would try and get the Irish passport before I buy a property, trying to fore see any future problems, like you bought the property with a  British passport, now you have a Irish one  ? who knows what terms and conditions the EU might impose on British home owners in the EU.

Like 0      
02 May 2017 7:47 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sandman.  I lived in Spain around 23 years on m y British passport.   I applied for my Irish PP in 2010,    I bought my present property in 2002.  I do not think buying on your British PP and then taking up Irish nationality will cause any problems.  Until Mrach 2019 UK will still be in EU and citiizens will be entitled to any benefits that entails. After that who knows ?

I understand Ireland has taken on 250 more staff to deal with the avalanche of Northern Irish citizens applying for passports. (maybe around 2 million).  In view of that I understand the process takes several months now.  Mine took a few weeks.

During my application I had several calls from the passport office and when the PP was about to be sent by courier to me they called to make sure I would be at home at that time, if not they would have delayed sending it until was there.  Just imagine the British PP office doing anything like that !

This message was last edited by johnzx on 02/05/2017.

Like 0      
02 May 2017 8:04 PM by sandman Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thanks for the insight Johnzx very helpful.

Like 0      
02 May 2017 8:14 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Johnzx

I am not doubting you only suggesting that as his father is an irish citizen surely that would be the best way to claim  his irish citizenship and the link I posted shows that it can be done that way and the process is allowed and similar

It might even help

Like 0      
02 May 2017 8:33 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tadd if you read your link you will see 'his father' would have had to be born in Ireland. I was not.

Like 0      
02 May 2017 9:09 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Johnzx

Read it again and the extract I posted

Irish citizen parents born outside of Ireland

Up to only trying to help

Like 0      
02 May 2017 10:25 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Yes I see what you mean.  It is very straight forward, all my son needs is:-

Please include a photocopy of all the original Certificates being submitted.

Your details

• Original Long form Civil Birth Certificate (plus photocopy)
  • Original Civil Marriage Certificate (if married) - Church certificates are NOT acceptable (plus photocopy)
  • Original Divorce Decree (final) if Divorced and Current Civil Marriage Certificate (if remarried) (plus photocopy)
  • Deed poll (if you’ve changed your name). Original must be submitted and must have been valid for at least two years (plus photocopy). Three documents showing proof of usage in the newly acquired name - e.g. Bank Statements, Utility Bills that are at least two years old - must also accompany the deed poll.
  • Certified/Notarized Copy of current passport or identity document (e.g. Driver's Licence)
  • If over 18 years - Two separate documents showing proof of Residence e.g. phone bill, gas/electricity bill.
  • If under 18 years – A school report/Doctor’s letter showing proof of residence of applicant and two separate proofs of residence for the applying Irish parent.

Your parent’s details (through whom you’re claiming citizenship)

• Original Long form Civil Birth Certificate (plus photocopy)
  • Original Civil Marriage Certificate (if married) - Church certificates are NOT acceptable (plus photocopy)
  • Original Divorce Decree (final) if Divorced and Current Civil Marriage Certificate (if remarried) (plus photocopy)
  • Declaration of Alienage (if they ever renounced their Irish citizenship)
  • Certified/Notarized Copy of current passport or identity document (eg Driver’s Licence)
  • Original Death Certificate if Deceased (plus photocopy)
  • Deed poll (if they ever changed their name). Original must be submitted and must have been valid for at least two years. Three documents showing proof of usage in the newly acquired name - e.g. Bank Statements, Utility Bills that are at least two years old - must also accompany the deed poll.

Your Irish-born grandparent’s details

• Original Long form Civil Birth Certificate (plus photocopy)
  • Original Civil Marriage Certificate (if married) - Church certificates are NOT acceptable (plus photocopy)
  • Original Divorce Decree (final) if Divorced and Current Civil Marriage Certificate ( if remarried) (plus photocopy)
  • Declaration of Alienage (if they ever renounced their Irish citizenship)
  • Certified/Notarized Copy of current passport or identity document (e.g. Driver's Licence)
  • Original Death Certificate if Deceased (plus photocopy)
  • Deed poll (if they ever changed their name). Original must be submitted and must have been valid for at least two years (plus photocopy). Two documents showing proof of usage in the newly acquired name - e.g. Bank Statements, Utility Bills that are at least two years old - must also accompany the deed poll.

Like 0      
02 May 2017 10:44 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Johnzx

I never said it was easy and I did say the same process was required as with grandparents 

What is easy is reading the information available 

So I hope the OP has learnt something but has his mother is irish he will not have this complicated process

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cheapest site fees in Murcia - 2 posts
Renting for the first time locally to la cala and surrounding - 0 posts
Moving to calahonda - Schooling - 11 posts
filmon now charging - 8 posts
Social Security Papers - 1 posts
Wanted - Treadmill - 0 posts
NIE Number - 18 posts
property ownership - 4 posts
Spanish Bank Account For Non Residents - 10 posts
autonomo benefits - 9 posts
Health care - 2 posts
Lizzy - 4 posts
Writing a new Will - 29 posts
road tax in murcia - 1 posts
Green Bowling in Costa Blanca for all New & Old Expats. - 0 posts
Dog Food Mar Menor Region - 4 posts
Moving to Spain with 2 dogs - 1 posts
Are there blog writers - 2 posts
second hand patio set - 1 posts
Wanted relief animal shelter managers - 3 posts
Replacement cooker hob knobs - 4 posts
Cheap Electricity - 0 posts
charges - 0 posts
Good Spanish schools in Fuengirola or Mijas - 4 posts
Looking to buy propriety in La Teria - 22 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x