Advice on changing ownership of car,

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 May 2017 12:55 PM by ritah Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Can anyone offer advise on what to do to change over the ownership of a deceased

persons car ?in spain ,,

Like 0      
05 May 2017 1:39 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In light of 30 years experience of buying and selling vehicles in Spain I suggest you use a gestor.  They are usually good value and they can save a lot of potential problems

Like 0      
05 May 2017 1:43 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

good advice from johnzx

Woudl guess you need copies of death certificate and any will etc.

Is the car stil insured in the deceased's name - as driving it may cause problems woth insruance being invalid and not having teh owners permission to drive etc. worth checking out with insurance company

Like 0      
06 May 2017 9:16 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

From the Tráfico (traffic department) official website (link below):

"In the case of transfer due to death, submission of the decree pronouncing the persons entitled to succeed or of the will accompanied by the certificate of inheritance, or of the partition of succession statement indicating who inherits the vehicle, and the inheritance tax."

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/Galerias/tramites-y-multas/tu-coche/cambio-titularidad/01/01-Cambio-titularidad-vehiculo-INGLES-04-04-2016.pdf

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
07 May 2017 8:41 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Thanks Robert, I am sure this will prove very useful in assisting anyone in this situation.

Like 0      
07 May 2017 8:50 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I think we have discussed the insurance validity before 

So does anyone know the answer if the car insurance is in the deceased's name. Is it still valid considering permission to drive the car cannot be given and what happens in the event of a claim having to be made.

Like 0      
07 May 2017 10:08 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I should think if the deceased gave (written) permission before deceasing, it would still be valid. If the deceased did not, then they're not going to now, & there's no reason why someone should be permitted to drive the vehicle until it's re-registered in their name, or they at least take out insurance in their own name on the vehicle. Unless it's Tony down the pub, in which case he'd just assume ownership and drive with no valid insurance anyway. Or perhaps I'm missing something?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 May 2017 8:41 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

ROberto

That makes common sense but then again as we knwow insurance companies can be a fickle lot

I think I would check with the insurance company first to be sure

Like 0      
08 May 2017 12:15 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If the deceased never gave permission for anyone else to drive the car, there's nothing much to ask the insurance company. If the deceased did give permission, I suppose it would be prudent to check with them that in the event of a claim, the deceased owner's policy is still valid. But I'm not too sure why we're talking about insurance, since the OP only asked about changing ownership. Once that's done, presumably the new owner will take out their own insurance anyway.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 May 2017 1:13 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Roberto

Yes the OP question is the main thing. I wias only concnerd as they may be driving the car prior to the inheritance being sorted out

Like 0      
08 May 2017 2:38 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ritah.  A Power of Attorney ceases to be valid when a person dies, so that might also apply to an authorisation for a person to drive. If anyone is going to drive, and the insurance company say they are covered, I would at least get an email to confirm it.  Just in  case.

In passing:    A joint bank account is also frozen when one party dies.    I have told my wife that before she cries,  draw out all the funds out of our joint account before the bank find out..

Like 0      
08 May 2017 3:04 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

property taxes - 7 posts
trying to find a tax advisor in torrevieja called Andrew - 5 posts
Semi detached 3 bedroom house for sale in Tías - Lanzarote (Canary Islands) - 0 posts
Help! UK TV SERVICE NEEDED - 3 posts
I have received a bill from Patronato de Recaudacion Provincial - 5 posts
ALL AIFOS´BANK GUARANTEES NOW AVAILABLE - 23 posts
Ads Covering Page - 5 posts
Irish Passport - 11 posts
Cheapest site fees in Murcia - 2 posts
Renting for the first time locally to la cala and surrounding - 0 posts
Moving to calahonda - Schooling - 11 posts
filmon now charging - 8 posts
Social Security Papers - 1 posts
Wanted - Treadmill - 0 posts
NIE Number - 18 posts
property ownership - 4 posts
Spanish Bank Account For Non Residents - 10 posts
autonomo benefits - 9 posts
Health care - 2 posts
Lizzy - 4 posts
Writing a new Will - 29 posts
road tax in murcia - 1 posts
Green Bowling in Costa Blanca for all New & Old Expats. - 0 posts
Dog Food Mar Menor Region - 4 posts
Moving to Spain with 2 dogs - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x