When do we need to register?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Mar 2017 11:27 AM by karisy Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

For the last 4 years, my wife & I have spent a total of 4 months a year in Spain & plan to do so for the foreseeable future. We stay for 2 months in spring & another 2 months in autumn; we don’t own a property in Spain but rent, usually the same apartment. I thought we only needed to register if living in Spain for more than 6 months a year but,recently,I read something about the need to register after just 90 days! I’m now confused about weather or not we need to register & if so, how to go about it bearing in mind we don't have a permanent registered address in Spain. I'm also concerned if registering in Spain would in any way affect my rights to health/welfare care in the UK? Can anyone explain & advise?

Like 0      
04 Mar 2017 11:29 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Yes the UK home office can advise on this.  It may be wise to contat your MP first and get a referral to save time though.

Best wishes, Brian

Like 1      
04 Mar 2017 11:37 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Karsy  Check your PMs

Like 0      
04 Mar 2017 11:43 AM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

John. This could be of interest to a lot of people. Please post the information and ignore the vile stalkers who no one takes any notice of.

Like 2      
04 Mar 2017 2:01 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residency-requirements-in-spain

Residency requirements

From 28 March 2007, Royal Decree 240/07 requires that all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than 3 months should register in person at the Oficina de Extranjeros in their province of residence or at designated Police stations. You will be issued a credit card size Residence Certificate stating your name, address, nationality, NIE number (Número de Identificación Extranjero) and date of registration. After five years residence registration you are entitled to apply for a certificate of permanent residence in Spain.

More details can be found on the website for the Spanish Ministry of the Interior (information is in Spanish).

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 1      
04 Mar 2017 2:58 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

Do you have to pay anything.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2017 3:49 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Good post from Maria again

Please seek professional advice it is always the best advice 

As you are not staying for more than 3 months why bother? 

I am not sure if the 2 x 2 months as you describe qualify as more than 3 months

Same would apply if you had 10x  1 week holidays

I know some who commute every week and every month and I don't think they register

Perhaps Maria could comment

Like 1      
04 Mar 2017 4:06 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

** EDITED **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/8/2017 1:08:00 PM.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2017 4:17 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

As we all know coming to Spain for more than 3 months (90 days) you are obliged to register your presence  - it is not rocket science or a secret and as Maria has pointed out very clearly

However as the OP is only staying for 2 months at a time and at diffenrnet times of the year so NOT 3 months (90 days) consecutively

let's ask the question  other ways for clarification

Is the 3 months (90 days) obligation only for a single stay i.e. consecutive 3 months (90 days) or cummularive over say a 12 month period.

If not what happens if someone comes on holiday to Spain 3 times a year for 2 weeks (14 days) at a time (total of 42 days i.e. 3 x 14 days) or every weekend for 3 days would they have to register?

I am not aware of any obligation or limit on the number of holidays you can have in Spain where you have to register (unless any one stay is more than 3 months)

This message was last edited by Tadd1966 on 04/03/2017.

Like 2      
04 Mar 2017 4:18 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

** EDITED - inciting **

This message was last edited by johnzx on 04/03/2017.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/4/2017 6:51:00 PM.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2017 4:21 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

let's hope the OP seeks professional advice

Like 2      
04 Mar 2017 4:22 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

04 Mar 2017 4:23 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

** EDITED - off thread **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/4/2017 6:50:00 PM.

Like 3      
04 Mar 2017 4:45 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

Been doing the same for 4 years and probably had no problems, only spends 2 months a time in Spain twice, owns nothing in Spain, not residing in Spain, holidays only....What on earth is the problem, carry on doing what you are doing.

Like 2      
04 Mar 2017 4:49 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

** EDITED - inciting** I have advised him and he is now fully aware of his situation.

My advice as you said Baz  was ,  No need to do anything 'carry on doing what you are doing.'

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/4/2017 6:52:00 PM.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2017 4:51 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

** EDITED - inciting **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 3/4/2017 6:49:00 PM.

Like 2      
04 Mar 2017 5:10 PM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

Why would you need it OP.

It’s just a tax of €6.75 and a load of wasted time (photos, form filling, day out at polive station, pack lunch) for something that is useless and nobody wants.

It’s not even a discount card for McDonalds.

Like 1      
04 Mar 2017 6:06 PM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

Well.    It's great that María takes time to post advice regularly, lawyers do charge for further information, and rightly so.  

The poster, being British and visiting, has a perfectly legitimate approach at home, through the MP and government office, for free.  It will cost a phone call or e mail.  

I really don't get all this PM and bar room lawyer advice, 

the simple answers are usually the best, I find!!!!!    Ask the proper authorities. 

Best wishes, Brian

Like 2      
07 Mar 2017 5:33 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

Well. As I do very similar to the original poster, I have an interest. I take it (and would take it reading the thread but no-one has stated it simply) that, it is a three month continuous period. Therefore two separate periods of 2 months each each year do not count.

Six periods of one month however and any combination adding to 180 days or more in a year may be a different ball game.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2017 6:08 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Tweed quite right, unless one moves to Spain (that is they maintain a home elsewhere ) an EU citizen can stay for up to 3 months permanently without being required to register on the EU Citizens Register.  If they stay for a total of 183 in a 12 month period then they must register.

I have never been able to discover any rule which qualifies what 'permanently' means in all situations. A person who stays without leaving for 3 months, OK that is permanent, but if a person leaves for say even a hour, or a day,  does that breaks the permanent rule?  So does a day trip to Gibraltar restart the 3 month ?

This  probably a rhetorical question, so I do not expect an authoritative answer to this. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

road trip through the pyranee - 2 posts
Air conditioning work - 9 posts
Keith Rule, Maria de Castro and SpanishReclaim - 19 posts
Scam regarding Actions Against banks Law 57/68 - 5 posts
Floor clauses - 9 posts
PX Your UK flat (IOW) for our 2 up 2 down Town House Alahurin el Grande, Malaga - 0 posts
No win, no fee lawyer desperately needed - 7 posts
Finding long term rentals - 6 posts
Santander bank charges - 4 posts
Invalidity pension - 5 posts
Car Center Murcia - 0 posts
Any private health insurance recommendations for living in Spain - 0 posts
jackbean - 4 posts
Fire Stick/Kodi in Spain - 7 posts
Re Registering my LHD vehicle in Spain - 8 posts
Moving to spain hello we are lorenzo 48,Carolien 46 and Cassidy nearly 4 - 4 posts
Your own car hire business - 0 posts
Trampolin Hills and liability of La Caixa and other banks according to LEY 57/1968 - 3 posts
What a relief!! - 6 posts
Ownership of property - 6 posts
WHAT IS A SPANISH PROPERTY REALY WORTH - 83 posts
Electricity costs - 21 posts
Getting Eu registration certificate if working part-time - 10 posts
My Offer has been accepted - 109 posts
towing in Spain - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x