When do we need to register?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Mar 2017 6:26 PM by tteedd Star rating in Hertfordshire & Punt.... 990 posts Send private message

mmm Spain claims Gibralter, so it is an odd choice.

You are probably right, there is no authoritative answer, but logically if your home is in the UK and you went on a day trip to France from Spain you are on holiday and you have not broken the three month residence period.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2017 6:33 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

As johnzx says there is no clear rule and ceratinly no rule that I am aware of that limits the number of holidays one can have in any given EU state over any given period.

As an example I see no reason why as a tourist you could not come to Spain on hoilday every other week.

Let's not get too confused with the original question form teh OP about registering when staying for long holidays and the 183 day rule.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2017 11:54 PM by DuncanMcG Star rating in Manchester, UK. 377 posts Send private message

DuncanMcG´s avatar

ElsieTanner asked

"Why would you need it OP.

It’s just a tax of €6.75 and a load of wasted time (photos, form filling, day out at polive station, pack lunch) for something that is useless and nobody wants.

It’s not even a discount card for McDonalds."

As Maria said "After five years residence registration you are entitled to apply for a certificate of permanent residence in Spain."

So, if after Brexit, there were residency restrictions for Brits as they were no longer EU members this could be a way to qualify for permanent resident status?

Like 0      
08 Mar 2017 9:10 AM by Elsietanner Star rating in Alicante & New York. 164 posts Send private message

Elsietanner´s avatar

Good point Duncan

Like 0      
08 Mar 2017 9:39 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Why on earth would anyone bother trying to contact their MEP or the Home Office, or seek so-called professional advice for something so simple? I just asked Tony Down The Pub (EOS's resident bar room lawyer), and he said you'd be NUTS to bother registering, even if you stayed here for THREE or more months, twice or more a year (he does, after all). Enjoy Spain - the lovely weather, great food, relaxed pace of life etc. etc. Why spoil it by getting yourself needlessly embroiled in one of it's uglier aspects, namely it's nightmarish bureacracy? There would absolutely NO benefit or advantage to you by registering, so just keep calm and carry on doing what you're doing.

** EDITED - **

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
08 Mar 2017 10:31 AM by karisy Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Thanks to all for the interesting array of contributions, I think I get the picture!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

road trip through the pyranee - 2 posts
Air conditioning work - 9 posts
Keith Rule, Maria de Castro and SpanishReclaim - 19 posts
Scam regarding Actions Against banks Law 57/68 - 5 posts
Floor clauses - 9 posts
PX Your UK flat (IOW) for our 2 up 2 down Town House Alahurin el Grande, Malaga - 0 posts
No win, no fee lawyer desperately needed - 7 posts
Finding long term rentals - 6 posts
Santander bank charges - 4 posts
Invalidity pension - 5 posts
Car Center Murcia - 0 posts
Any private health insurance recommendations for living in Spain - 0 posts
jackbean - 4 posts
Fire Stick/Kodi in Spain - 7 posts
Re Registering my LHD vehicle in Spain - 8 posts
Moving to spain hello we are lorenzo 48,Carolien 46 and Cassidy nearly 4 - 4 posts
Your own car hire business - 0 posts
Trampolin Hills and liability of La Caixa and other banks according to LEY 57/1968 - 3 posts
What a relief!! - 6 posts
Ownership of property - 6 posts
WHAT IS A SPANISH PROPERTY REALY WORTH - 83 posts
Electricity costs - 21 posts
Getting Eu registration certificate if working part-time - 10 posts
My Offer has been accepted - 109 posts
towing in Spain - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x