newbie with questions for the community!

This thread is currently locked.

:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Jan 2017 9:18 PM by mona_lisa Star rating in Lanzarote. 3 posts Send private message

Hi all, Happy New Year!

I am considering moving to the Canaries from the UK and currently weighing up various options. One of the options is to apply for work there while still in UK, but I noticed that some recruiters want their candidates to be local and have NIE and social security numbers. I understand that I can apply for NIE from the UK, but apparently the form asks for a job offer. So I have a perfect case of catch 22!

Please can anyone advise how I can go about this and get the necessary documentation so I can apply for work? Also, where can I download a copy of the NIE form? The website link offered on thinkSpain is broken, I think. (And unfortunately I missed the opportunity to collect a copy from a police station while I was in Lanzarote 2 weeks ago!)

I'd be grateful for any other advice.

thanks

Like 0      
11 Jan 2017 9:23 AM by nigel188 Star rating in Estepona. 656 posts Send private message

Good Morning

You can get your NIE  over in UK. Don't know how you do it if you are applying for work. Enquire from the Spanish Emassey in London.

See informative links below.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/wp-content/uploads/15-FORMULARIO-NIE-Y-CERTIFICADOS.pdf

http://www.ourbigfattraveladventure.com/2016/04/07/how-to-get-your-nie-in-spain/

http://barcelona-property-consultants.com/3/post/2013/02/obtaining-an-nie-from-the-spanish-consulate-in-the-uk.html?

Good Luck

Nigel

Like 1      
11 Jan 2017 9:35 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If one comes to Spain either with an offer of work or with the intention of seeking work, or intending to make Spain their home they must apply for EU Citizen Registration NOT an NIE

The Registration will be granted if one can produce the evidence of health cover and income, OR that they have work or an offer of a contract.

Like 1      
11 Jan 2017 1:35 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

The canaries are not fully in the EU - do they have an EU citizens register? Do they still use a residence certificate

Maybe someone who lives in the canaries can advise

You can get an NIE with or without a job offer or without residing in Spain (many holiday home owners have them) and you will need one to buy anything!!

This message was last edited by Tadd1966 on 11/01/2017.

Like 1      
11 Jan 2017 3:28 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

You can get an NIE with or without a job offer or without residing in Spain (many holiday home owners have them) and you will need one to buy anything!!

You cannot get just an NIE cert if you going to become resident in Spain. So if you have a job or an offer of one you must, and can only (unless you lie)  register on EU Citizens Register

I just googled to know the situation re resident in Canary Islands, as I have no direct knowledge of the islands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_member_state_territories_and_the_European_Union

The Canary Islands are a Spanish archipelago off the African coast which forms one of the Spanish Autonomous Communities, thus having the status of being part of the Kingdom of Spain. They are outside the European Union Value Added Tax Area.[5] The Canary Islands are the most populated and economically strongest territory of all the outermost regions in the European Union. The outermost regions office for support and information is located in these islands, in the city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Gran Canaria).

This message was last edited by johnzx on 11/01/2017.

Like 1      
13 Jan 2017 7:58 AM by mona_lisa Star rating in Lanzarote. 3 posts Send private message

thank you all so much!!!! I will check the links.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2017 8:15 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

You need an NIE number when you for the registration  form

At least my neighbour who has recently moved over

Like 0      
13 Jan 2017 9:21 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I do not want to appear argumentative but people should not be mislead.

I have been assisting non-Spanish speaking people applying for paperwork at the Policía Nacional in Spain for 20 years.

One does not need an NIE to apply for EU Citizen Registration.

This is from:   http://www.gov.uk/guidance/residency-requirements-in-spain

As you will see there is no requirement for an NIE.  However, as I said previously,  if one already has an NIE then that number is shown on the EX 17 or EX 18  application form and becomes the Registration number

Article 3: Supporting documentation

All applications for registration must be accompanied by the applicant’s passport or national identity document, which shall be valid and in force. If these documents have expired, a copy of these and the application for renewal must be produced

In addition, the following documentation will be required, depending on the applicant’s circumstances:

a) Employed workers must produce a declaration to the effect that they have been hired by the employer or a certificate of employment. These documents must include, as a minimum, details of the name and address of the company, tax identification and Employer’s Social Security Number. Presentation of an employment contract registered with the corresponding Public Employment Service or a document of registration or situation similar to registration with the corresponding Social Security System will be accepted, although it will not be necessary to produce these documents if the interested party agrees to have his details checked against the General Social Security Finance Office files “Ficheros de la Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social”

b) Self-employed workers must produce evidence to the effect that they are self-employed. Registration on the Economic Activities List “Censo de Actividades Económicos” or proof of their establishment by means of registration in the Mercantile Registry “Registro Mercantil” or a document of registration or situation similar to registration with the corresponding Social Security System will be accepted, although it will not be necessary to produce these documents if the interested person agrees to have his details checked against the General Social Security Finance Office or Taxation Office files “Ficheros de la Tesorería General de la Seguridad Social o de la Agencia Tributaria”

c) People who do not work in Spain must produce documentation proving that they comply with the following two conditions:

i. Public or private health insurance contracted in Spain or in another country, provided that it ensures cover in Spain during their period of residence equivalent to the cover provided by the National Health System. Pensioners will be considered to meet this condition if they can prove, by means of the corresponding certificate, that they are entitled to health care paid for by the State from which they receive their pension

ii. have sufficient resources, for themselves and their family members, not to become a burden on Spain’s social assistance system during their period of residence. Proof of the possession of sufficient resources, whether from regular income, including work income or income of another kind, or from ownership of assets, will be given by any legally admissible evidence, such as property deeds, certified cheques, documentation proving that income from capital is received or credit cards. In this latter case, an up to date bank certificate proving the amount available by way of credit on the aforesaid card shall be produced. The assessment of sufficient resources must be carried out on an individual basis, taking into account the applicant’s personal and family circumstances. The possession of resources that are more than the amount established each year by the State General Budgets Act “Ley de Presupuestos Generales de Estado” that justifies the right to receive non-contributory benefits, taking into account the interested persons’ personal and family circumstances, will be regarded as sufficient proof to meet this requirement

d) Students, including those who are taking vocational training courses, must present documents proving fulfillment with the following conditions:

i. Enrolment in a public or private establishment, accredited or financed by the competent educational administration

ii. Public or private health insurance contracted in Spain or in another country, provided that it ensures complete cover in Spain. However, this condition will be deemed to be met if the student has a European Health Insurance Card that is valid for a period that covers the entire period of residence and that allows him to receive, exclusively, any medical assistance that are necessary from a medical point of view, taking into account the nature of the assistance and the envisaged duration.

iii. Sworn Statement that he has sufficient resources for himself and his family members, so that they do not become a burden on Spain’s social assistance system during their period of residence. Participation in European Union programmes that promote educational exchanges for students and teachers will be regarded as sufficient proof of compliance with these requirements.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 13/01/2017.

Like 0      
13 Jan 2017 1:21 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

johnzx

we will have to agree to diagree - my neghbours recently were required to produce an NIE number when registrting in Los Montesinos - I was with them at the time and the form clearly had a box for an NIE number. They went and got their NIE and now all registered and all OK now

Maybe differnet regions (or individuals) have different rules (or even interpretations of the rules) which is why I suggested the OP get advice from soemone who lives in the canaries and not anonymous forum members - anyone can google and like anything in Spain not much is as black and white as many profess

The OP seems now satified and can move on owth his won furtehr investigations

Like 0      
13 Jan 2017 2:48 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Of course the Cannaries are part of the EU as any other region in Spain.

Info here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residency-requirements-in-spain

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
13 Jan 2017 3:15 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Mariadecastro

Yes they are but not fully (i.e.customs and taxes) which is why I asked the question etc.because I was not sure of the full special member status of the canaries

Extract from your link supports the issue my friends had regarding registration in Los Montesinos - without an NIE the A4 residence certificate would be incomplete

You will be issued an A4 printed Residence Certificate stating your name, address, nationality, NIE number (Número de Identificación Extranjeros) and date of registration

Like 0      
13 Jan 2017 3:29 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Good you solved your doubt!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

This thread is currently locked.

Previous Threads

Attempting a move to Spain - 0 posts
Cream leather corner sofa - 0 posts
Dream or reality - 49 posts
Somewhere to settle for 3 months with an idea of staying long term - 4 posts
Corvera entered receivership - 6 posts
Advice please - 3 posts
Modelo 210 - 3 posts
IBI Bill torre pacheco area - 2 posts
Seguro Parking - 14 posts
Cost of House Purchase - 24 posts
Need advice for relocating to costa del sol - 0 posts
Amazon Prime Stick - 1 posts
firewood suppliers - 5 posts
Final hearing - 1 posts
White good from Uk - 9 posts
UK plated Spanish LHD Car - 7 posts
Christmas wishes - 0 posts
Your refund linked to Floor Clause in your spanish mortgage - 17 posts
Obvious question I know but any info would be helpful - 4 posts
Chimney Sweep - 1 posts
Mortgage or cash ? - 9 posts
Mortgage Brokers - 0 posts
Notarized copies of documents - 12 posts
IBI demand - 15 posts
Modifying a Spanish Reg'd US built vehicle - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x